Texas Hunting Forum

Shooting pigs at the feeder during season...?

Posted By: Jason H

Shooting pigs at the feeder during season...? - 11/11/14 02:23 AM

Just finished up a three week work trip and now packing up for 5 days of camping out on the lease... No elec, no water, no phone, or wifi. Can't wait!

I hunt pigs the rest of the year, but was thinking of taking a few while I'm out there this go around at night. New lease in a high pressure county (Caldwell). You guys think that may spook some of the deer? Am I better off waiting until I've filled my buck tag. Can hunt the hogs all year anyhow....
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Shooting pigs at the feeder during season...? - 11/11/14 02:28 AM

I kill hogs anytime they show up since they always run the deer off of the corn around my blinds. If you have a lot of hogs you won't have many deer. I don't have hog problem now because of trapping and killing them everytime I get the chance. I also have feed pens around all my feeders.
Posted By: dlrz71

Re: Shooting pigs at the feeder during season...? - 11/11/14 02:34 AM

Agree with above. The deer aren't going to be around if there are hogs. Shoot every one of them!!
Posted By: cameron00

Re: Shooting pigs at the feeder during season...? - 11/11/14 02:34 AM

I'd shoot them.

Deer are weird. You can spook them by farting 200 yards away, but it's not unusual for the to pop out completely unalarmed 2 minutes after I shoot a doe or something.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Shooting pigs at the feeder during season...? - 11/11/14 02:40 AM

rifle
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: Shooting pigs at the feeder during season...? - 11/11/14 03:01 AM

I never liked the idea of shooting pigs at night during deer season. Always figured it was draw unnecessary game warden attention thinking I'm poaching deer at night.
Posted By: samsamthemex

Re: Shooting pigs at the feeder during season...? - 11/11/14 03:06 AM

My buddy killed a pig right at legal light, sent me a pic. 20 minutes later he sends a pic of his 8 point he shot.
Posted By: Weegs

Re: Shooting pigs at the feeder during season...? - 11/11/14 05:09 PM

Opening weekend had 3 does at feeder. They all left as a large pig arrived. Pig settled in for a long visit and I invested in 150 grains to make it his last visit. 30 minutes later, With the pig still on the ground where he fell, I had deer back at the feeder. Pigs are a "shoot on sight" target on our lease.
Posted By: TxYoteHunter

Re: Shooting pigs at the feeder during season...? - 11/11/14 05:14 PM

Same here as most of the above, shoot 'em. I've watched deer come in and smell a hog laying on the ground under the feeder then act as if it weren't even there. It's almost as if they enjoy seeing a dead hog.
Posted By: Texasrebel649

Re: Shooting pigs at the feeder during season...? - 11/11/14 05:15 PM

Shoot em all.... like stated above the pigs will run the deer off.. So I say shoot every last one of them...
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Shooting pigs at the feeder during season...? - 11/11/14 05:30 PM

The only time I have seen a deer go to a feeder with pigs was a very mature, dominate buck who owned the place. We fenced 4 feeders and finally have deer going to them daily instead of avoiding them.
Posted By: dj0dbu

Re: Shooting pigs at the feeder during season...? - 11/11/14 10:17 PM

Shoot them all. I've had deer come in 10 minutes after shooting a pig that was still on the ground.
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: Shooting pigs at the feeder during season...? - 11/12/14 12:03 AM

I shoot them anytime they show up.
Posted By: Hogflyer

Re: Shooting pigs at the feeder during season...? - 11/12/14 12:27 AM

Shoot them dang pigs anytime, they run our deer off around the farm here, we have no
mercy for them..... Remember a 9 month old sow will breed with her father or any local male, and the party and population starts all over again!

Get the night vision hardware out and have fun!
Posted By: JRJ6

Re: Shooting pigs at the feeder during season...? - 11/12/14 12:56 AM

Take them when you see them
Posted By: passthru

Re: Shooting pigs at the feeder during season...? - 11/12/14 12:58 AM

I would shoot them. Of course I'm shooting a bow so it's a little quieter.
Posted By: CTR

Re: Shooting pigs at the feeder during season...? - 11/12/14 03:06 AM

Sometimes they get a pass but I don't hunt feeders, I usually will let them walk when I am in prime time hour morning or evening. I don't have the power of the corn to draw in deer in case I waylay a big pig at 500pm.
Posted By: trjscout

Re: Shooting pigs at the feeder during season...? - 11/12/14 03:38 AM

I shot one last week and the deer didn't even stop eating in fact 2 of them laid down and where chilling in the sunshine!
Posted By: Cueman

Re: Shooting pigs at the feeder during season...? - 11/12/14 01:58 PM

Bust 'em!
Posted By: TooLow

Re: Shooting pigs at the feeder during season...? - 11/12/14 01:58 PM

Yep if they come out they go down.
Posted By: Troutfisch

Re: Shooting pigs at the feeder during season...? - 11/12/14 02:20 PM

Originally Posted By: TxYoteHunter
Same here as most of the above, shoot 'em. I've watched deer come in and smell a hog laying on the ground under the feeder then act as if it weren't even there. It's almost as if they enjoy seeing a dead hog.

X2
Posted By: Seadog

Re: Shooting pigs at the feeder during season...? - 11/12/14 02:51 PM

Shoot 'em, shoot 'em all!!!
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Shooting pigs at the feeder during season...? - 11/12/14 03:46 PM

I shot a big hog the other day and had deer walk right around the dead hog looking for corn.
Going after the hogs at night might be a different story though?
Posted By: Jason H

Re: Shooting pigs at the feeder during season...? - 11/12/14 04:02 PM

Well I guess that answers that... Thanks guys.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum