Texas Hunting Forum

Grass too tall

Posted By: deedeetaylor

Grass too tall - 11/10/14 07:00 PM

I got my lease real late this year and I'm hunting a hayfied. Evidently it ain't gonna get baled and the grass only got higher after the recent rain. I did have some good action this past weekend, but was aggravated some by the tall grass, some of it 4 foot high. I need to smash down a 1/2 acre or so to improve my visual field, but I don't have access to a tractor. After my morning hunt Saturday, I dragged a 8 inch by 8 foot log, about 100 pounds, behind my pickup, and it put down some of the weeds, but much of it just bounced back up. I got out the old yo-yo and whacked some, but ran out of oomph pretty quickly. The grass stalks are real thick and I don't think my yard weed whacker would do much good. Any short cuts out there?
Posted By: MoBettaHuntR

Re: Grass too tall - 11/10/14 07:05 PM

Get your stand higher. Maybe cut some small trails that would give deer a better route and you way to see them.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Grass too tall - 11/10/14 07:11 PM

I've had to deal with a similar problem, and tried dragging a railroad tie and had a section of chain link fence attached to it with similar results.
A heavy duty weed whacker will work but the only real remedy is a tractor and brush mower.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Grass too tall - 11/10/14 07:20 PM

The lazy approach is feed it heavy with corn and the deer/hogs will knock it down. Getting your stand higher is another good option.

You said a 1/2 acre, that isn't very big at all. Throw your push mower in the bed of the truck and you can do it in a few hours. You will be surprised what it will cut.
Posted By: TxYoteHunter

Re: Grass too tall - 11/10/14 07:25 PM

I've cut areas with my push mower and it is slow going with that high stuff. It takes a lot of time and effort but it's much better afterwards. Put in a few hard hours and you can enjoy the rest of the season. You'll be glad you did.
Posted By: Mavric

Re: Grass too tall - 11/10/14 07:28 PM

Yeah talk to the locals where your lease is....there's usually a guy who does bush hog work and most are reasonable.
Posted By: MoBettaHuntR

Re: Grass too tall - 11/10/14 07:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Mavric
Yeah talk to the locals where your lease is....there's usually a guy who does bush hog work and most are reasonable.

Very true and if it is somewhat decent hay somonel will come cut it if you let them keep it.
Posted By: JRJ6

Re: Grass too tall - 11/10/14 07:32 PM

I would go with the push mower. Clear out a piece and you are good to go
Posted By: LandPirate

Re: Grass too tall - 11/10/14 07:38 PM

I've dragged a cattle panel before with decent results. Put big rocks, spare tires, logs, etc. on it for additional weight and ballast.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Grass too tall - 11/10/14 07:40 PM

I hope the landowner don't bill your for hay you ruined peep
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Grass too tall - 11/10/14 07:44 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman

Very true, on a lease I would pass all options other than feeding heavy and letting the animals tear it up with the owner.
Posted By: Western

Re: Grass too tall - 11/10/14 07:52 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
Originally Posted By: stxranchman

Very true, on a lease I would pass all options other than feeding heavy and letting the animals tear it up with the owner.

Ditto. Speak with the landowner, he may come shred it or give you the go ahead. You can rent a tractor if need be and do it in a couple hours and never look back.
Posted By: deedeetaylor

Re: Grass too tall - 11/10/14 11:50 PM

I did ask the landowwner about the hay the day I signed the lease...about 3 weeks ago...he said he hadn't heard from the "hay guy" and did not think it was gonna be cut and baled. The landowner said he'd be surprise if I see the hay guy or him until after the deer season. It's 65 acres so if it becomes a problem, I'm prepared to work a solution on the 1/2 acres I'm trying to flatten.
Posted By: ChrisB

Re: Grass too tall - 11/11/14 12:12 AM

I should knock over a lot easier if you get a good freeze first.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum