Texas Hunting Forum

Runnels County

Posted By: HillTxJsa

Runnels County - 11/10/14 06:09 PM

Anyone Seeing any good deer in the area? Seeing alot of young deer. hoping the front this week gets the big boys on their feet.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Runnels County - 11/10/14 06:36 PM

They are out there, but most of what we have been seeing is does and a few young bucks. Plenty of does, we have already taken a few. If we get a freeze, hopefully we will see some more activity.

Welcome to THF.

Re: Runnels County - 11/10/14 07:26 PM

Thats what we are seeing. A Ton Of Does!
Posted By: 505ed

Re: Runnels County - 11/10/14 10:29 PM

No big deer, my nephews shot one doe and saw one buck in the 150s-160s looked to be a straight up 10 point nice buck for our property., but no shot. Going up to hunt a little next week,and the week of thanksgiving. I usually hunt with my brother, but he is stripping cotton ( they have a record crop), so might be hunting solo.

Ed
Posted By: Kenneth1977

Re: Runnels County - 11/10/14 10:32 PM

Buddy of mine and his GF both shoot great bucks last weekend and this weekend around that area .
Posted By: 505ed

Re: Runnels County - 11/10/14 11:09 PM

This area has really blossomed. 2011-12 was hard on everything as it was the driest we had seen for some time. (My dad said the 50s were drier overall, but not as hot). When I was in high school if you shot a 140-150 class buck that was world class for the area, now 140s and 150s (while not common) are seen more common. I grew up between Winters and Bronte and my family has owned land there since 1889. I love it..if I could make a living there, I'd live there, but my brother runs the farm and ranch (only can be one chief). Good luck to all the Runnels/Coke/Taylor county hunters.

Ed
Posted By: breal

Re: Runnels County - 11/11/14 07:07 PM

Just south of Talpa and we have seen a lot of buck movement. Does aren't coming in to feeders. Looks like the rut will be full on by next week!!

Re: Runnels County - 11/17/14 01:58 PM

Hunted this weekend and saw alot of chasing in the area. We took out a spike and a cull 8 point. Saw a monster 10 chasing hard at 1st light got the gun up and couldnt get a picture. I need to upgrade the scope.
Posted By: breal

Re: Runnels County - 11/17/14 05:51 PM

Going this weekend. Hopefully the rut is on!! Is it still green out that way?

Re: Runnels County - 11/18/14 02:13 PM

It was starting to definatley kick in. Everything should be brown after the freezing weather weve had. Does should get on the feeders. Saw 3 different bucks with does this wekend 1 of which was chasing hard.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum