Texas Hunting Forum

Need help with this guy

Posted By: JH117

Need help with this guy - 11/07/14 03:10 AM

For starters, this is my first post and I am completely new to deer hunting. I live on a 100 acres in springtown and this is one of about 10 bucks hanging out here. As of late, he has almost completely stopped coming to the feeders. (probably because of all the acorns)Also, this guy is mostly nocturnal as you can see from the pics. I only have one pic of him during the day which was also about a month ago. My question is, when the rut goes in full swing what kind of call or scent would you recommend to help me bag this buck? How old do you think this deer is and what would he score? Once again I'm completely new to this and I would definitely like for this to be my first deer. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Posted By: Trash Fish and Cull Bucks

Re: Need help with this guy - 11/07/14 03:17 AM

Looks 5.5 but could be 4.5, mid 40's on the score. Don't hunt the feeder, hust the area, but not the feeder (he's not coming in in the day anyway). Try rattling if the sex ratio is good in the area.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Need help with this guy - 11/07/14 03:17 AM

welcomecheers Be a great first buck so I would not worry about age or score. If he has not been killed in archery season or opening weekend of general I would kill him when you see him. Nothing wrong at all with that buck. Don't get all hung up on age and score. Hunting is about so much more than those things. Enjoy the hunt. up
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: Need help with this guy - 11/07/14 03:19 AM

Nice buck, 5+, mid 130s. I'd try rattling and maybe even popping a Buck Bomb, you just never know..
Posted By: Jkd106

Re: Need help with this guy - 11/07/14 03:21 AM

Listen to Stx
Posted By: TonyinVA

Re: Need help with this guy - 11/07/14 03:23 AM

nice deer..kill him if you can and be thrilled about it. Good luck!
Posted By: S.A. hunter

Re: Need help with this guy - 11/07/14 03:24 AM

Hell of a buck. The more time you spend in the blind the better your odds will be. Maybe rattle during the rut. But during the rut bucks expand their home range. good luck.

Re: Need help with this guy - 11/07/14 03:25 AM

You're absolutely right, age and score shouldn't matter. And thankfully I've got pics of him since opening day of rifle season, these are just the best 2 pics I have. Do you think that he will come out during the day when the rut starts?
Posted By: KnoxCityNate

Re: Need help with this guy - 11/07/14 03:29 AM

Good luck nice looking buck, he's a shooter

Re: Need help with this guy - 11/07/14 03:31 AM

Originally Posted By: JH117
You're absolutely right, age and score shouldn't matter. And thankfully I've got pics of him since opening day of rifle season, these are just the best 2 pics I have. Do you think that he will come out during the day when the rut starts?

JH, 4 years ago I had a nice 9 showing up pretty frequently on my 70 acres, mostly at night on camera and the week of Thanksgiving on a cool overcast morning, he came to my rattling at about 7:30 AM. So yes, I think he very well could come out.

Re: Need help with this guy - 11/07/14 03:39 AM

Corn as much area as you feel comfortable with hunting to keep as many does around as you can. They will keep the bucks around in the rut. If he is one of the dominant bucks then he won't be to far away from them. Good luck. cheers

Re: Need help with this guy - 11/07/14 03:43 AM

Ok cool. Oh and one other thing. I forgot to mention that in the 3 months that I have had the feeders and cameras set up I have only caught one doe on film, and that was a week ago. Do ya'll think that there could be more, or do you think they are just staying somewhere else?

Re: Need help with this guy - 11/07/14 03:45 AM

Sounds like lower doe to buck density to me. You should be seeing at least twice as many does as bucks IMO.

Re: Need help with this guy - 11/07/14 03:46 AM

I would get with my local TPWD biologist to get an idea on density and ratios for your area. He will be your best resource.

Re: Need help with this guy - 11/07/14 03:55 AM

Sounds like a good idea, just wish I knew why they weren't here on my property. My father in law live less than a 1/3 of a mile from me across the hwy and he has seen multiple doe at his place on just 5 acres. Problem is he has houses around and no way to hunt his place.

Re: Need help with this guy - 11/07/14 04:50 AM

If you have that many bucks then you have does around. I know right now with the bucks hitting corn/protein really hard and the rut getting closed that the does here are not hitting my feeders like they were 2-3 weeks ago. The younger bucks are chasing them around just trying to find one ready to breed. Just think the doe just get fed up with it and are not hitting the feeders at this time. If I corn a road area or other areas to spread the deer out more, I see a few more does. The ratio here has been less than 2 does per buck the past 2 yrs and seems to be a little closer to 1-1 this year than in the past.
Posted By: Weegs

Re: Need help with this guy - 11/07/14 04:59 AM

welcome
Posted By: 8pointdrop

Re: Need help with this guy - 11/07/14 05:05 AM

Don't get too caught up on scents and calls. Acorns will be gone eventually and he'll slip up. Watch your wind more than anything and hunt as much as possible.

The rest don't matter as much as the hunt, like stx said.
Posted By: Seadog

Re: Need help with this guy - 11/07/14 08:24 AM

If the does are there, he'll be out during the rut!!! Good looking buck!!!
Posted By: Western

Re: Need help with this guy - 11/07/14 08:25 AM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
welcomecheers Be a great first buck so I would not worry about age or score. If he has not been killed in archery season or opening weekend of general I would kill him when you see him. Nothing wrong at all with that buck. Don't get all hung up on age and score. Hunting is about so much more than those things. Enjoy the hunt. up

Amen to that up Would be a great buck if it was your 20th one. Good luck up

Re: Need help with this guy - 11/08/14 12:58 AM

Thanks everyone for the advice. Hopefully pics will follow soon!
Posted By: vanndchi

Re: Need help with this guy - 11/09/14 05:00 AM

I agree on the scents and calls, just hunt. He will come by! You just have to be there.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum