Texas Hunting Forum

Awesome Opener - Pics!

Posted By: DuckCoach1985

Awesome Opener - Pics! - 11/03/14 07:02 PM

A few weeks ago during bow season I was posting Live from Atascosa Co. I had a buck that was destroying every mesquite he could find. Thought for sure I'd get a shot at him, but I was swamped in hogs.

Fast forward to Saturday Morning, nice and cool, perfect conditions for opening morning. At first light a good size hog is hanging out around the feeder. After watching him for about 20 minutes I couldn't take it anymore. Boom - bacon.

No more action that morning.

That afternoon was looking good. Little 6 pt came in and was working the feeder for a good 45 minutes. Little while later, another buck, little 7 pt was out in the next field grazing. Watched him for a good hour or so, and was able to snap a few iphone pics through the binoculars.

(Sorry for bad quality)

Watching him, it was starting to get to that time.. I call it magic hour. I get a glimpse of three more deer just over the ridge behind the 7 pt. Two of them were shooters. One was a good 9 pt about 16 in. wide. The other was this guy. He stayed just over the ridge, lifting his head every few minutes giving me a look at those horns. Finally he made it to my side of the ridge , but was head down, facing my direction. It took him about 10 minutes to offer me a decent shot.. but finally he quartered to me and picked his head up and I squeezed off the shot. Good hit, he ran about 50 yards and piled up. Meat in the Freezer, horns on the wall! He's my best buck yet, 10 pt frame with a kicker. 18 in spread! Field dressed at 140 lbs.

Walking up to get him right at dark, a group of 8 hogs were on their way to the feeder and my buddy made a great free-hand shot on a big one at 80 yards.

Posted By: Weegs

Re: Awesome Opener - Pics! - 11/03/14 07:04 PM

Sweet cheers
Posted By: Branden

Re: Awesome Opener - Pics! - 11/03/14 07:10 PM

Congrats on personal best and nice buck up
Posted By: ZK-315

Re: Awesome Opener - Pics! - 11/03/14 07:19 PM

nice one up
Posted By: Western

Re: Awesome Opener - Pics! - 11/03/14 07:37 PM

What an outing, careful driving home after using up that much luck Nice buck too up
Posted By: Captain Luke

Re: Awesome Opener - Pics! - 11/03/14 07:38 PM

Nice
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Awesome Opener - Pics! - 11/03/14 11:41 PM

Congrats on a nice buck cheers
Posted By: udamdan

Re: Awesome Opener - Pics! - 11/04/14 12:56 AM

cheers
Posted By: Cinch

Re: Awesome Opener - Pics! - 11/04/14 12:59 AM

Congrats cheers
Posted By: chital_shikari

Re: Awesome Opener - Pics! - 11/04/14 01:02 AM

Originally Posted By: Weegs
Sweet cheers
Posted By: DanPhifer

Re: Awesome Opener - Pics! - 11/04/14 04:48 AM

That makes a good weekend
Posted By: Seadog

Re: Awesome Opener - Pics! - 11/04/14 09:39 AM

Sweet!!! Venison and bacon!!! Congrats!!!
Posted By: DuckCoach1985

Re: Awesome Opener - Pics! - 11/04/14 03:32 PM

Thanks guys! It was seriously an awesome weekend with my long time huntin buddy.. couldn't ask for better!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum