Texas Hunting Forum

When is it TO windy?!!

Posted By: txhunter1010

When is it TO windy?!! - 11/02/14 06:05 PM

So today being fairly breezy.. When do you say it's to windy to hunt..
Posted By: BigBucky2014

Re: When is it TO windy?!! - 11/02/14 06:17 PM

When it keeps the deer from moving!!

I've found that in my elevated blind, the wind appears to blow harder than on the ground. I'm sure this is due to the fact that there's nothing to block the wind 14' in the air. I think wind is a tough issue because there are more factors than wind at play. If it's the peak of the rut, then I'm not sure wind matters much at all. My 2 pennies.

Re: When is it TO windy?!! - 11/02/14 06:24 PM

True.. Like today the side of the lease I hunt is more open but often than not the deer still seem to just stroll on by.. Then other times I blame the wind for not seeing anything so I don't know how to take it
Posted By: ffread

Re: When is it TO windy?!! - 11/02/14 07:30 PM

The was I look at it is if your on the couch you cant see any deer!

I eat whether its windy, rainy, or pure hot so I figure deer are no different, who knows!!
Posted By: davvy

Re: When is it TO windy?!! - 11/02/14 07:43 PM

Personally I hunt no matter the weather if I can . About 8 or 9 years ago I was living in Missouri and my hunting buddy (who's always had a few marbles missing) insisted on hunting in winds gusting to 35mph. We set up in our bow stands and About 20min till dark the wind petered out and not 5min later I took my biggest buck to This day from 18 yards!

hunt it but be ethical and don't take a low percentage shots.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: When is it TO windy?!! - 11/02/14 07:53 PM

Deer are out in the weather 24/7/365. You can never tell what deer will do when they are hungry or in the rut.
Posted By: kry226

Re: When is it TO windy?!! - 11/02/14 10:01 PM

I think it depends on the area. East Texas? My experience says the deer hunker down.

In a place where the wind always blows like the Panhandle, I think it's business as usual. Get out there and hunt. Also, I think the key is to be on stand when the wind lays, almost like when it stops raining. The woods come alive with deer movement.
Posted By: Western

Re: When is it TO windy?!! - 11/02/14 10:07 PM

Only difference I have seen in deer with high winds, is they stay closer to cover and are a bit skiddish. Pretty much what everyone else said as well. They can usually wait out a front a day or 2 if they feel like it, but winds is an almost daily occurrence to a degree everywhere.
Posted By: Branden

Re: When is it TO windy?!! - 11/02/14 10:41 PM

If the deer didn't move where I hunt in Paducah they would starve to death. They move in all weather don't let that stop you
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: When is it TO windy?!! - 11/02/14 11:01 PM

Never too breezy....well maybe if you got 60mph gusting to 110mph it might be too gusty...but you just never know when the big fellow is gonna decide to take a stroll....
Posted By: cameron00

Re: When is it TO windy?!! - 11/02/14 11:07 PM

If you have to take long shots or are now hunting, it can definitely be too windy.
Posted By: S.A. hunter

Re: When is it TO windy?!! - 11/02/14 11:13 PM

It's too windy right now. The sound of the wind against the blind. It's putting me to sleep.
Posted By: hoof n wings

Re: When is it TO windy?!! - 11/02/14 11:27 PM

This morning... winds 20 with gust to 30, sinuses covered with dust/dirt
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: When is it TO windy?!! - 11/02/14 11:31 PM

When the sand is taking the paint off your pickup. (Sorry, far west Texas flashback.)
Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: When is it TO windy?!! - 11/02/14 11:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Creekrunner
When the sand is taking the paint off your pickup. (Sorry, far west Texas flashback.)

Reminds me of growing up in Dalhart.

Dad made mom and everyone park facing west on even days, east on odd days, so the paint would wear evenly.
Posted By: S.A. hunter

Re: When is it TO windy?!! - 11/03/14 01:01 AM

Well we saw 3 doe 4 fawns, but no bucks. I guess the do move when it's windy.

Re: When is it TO windy?!! - 11/03/14 03:11 AM

Had a pretty windy evening but saw 15 deer including one nice 130-140 8 point that wouldn't take 3 steps from behind a cedar.. Oh well great weekend for sure!!
Posted By: Seadog

Re: When is it TO windy?!! - 11/03/14 07:03 AM

Too windy? When a hurricane blows through!!! I hunt when I can!!!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum