Texas Hunting Forum

Need your opinion - to corn or not to corn?

Posted By: cameron00

Need your opinion - to corn or not to corn? - 10/31/14 01:08 PM

I like to over analyze everything. Critical character flaw, I suppose.

I'd like the thf's thoughts on my game plan for Sunday a.m. The below is an aerial of my land with the following legend:

Blue Stars = Feeders
Green Arrow = Entrance to my land
Yellow Star = My stand
Blue Line = Proposed corning route driven by truck
Purple Line = Proposed corning route walked on foot after parking
Red Line = Everything to the west of this is tall grass that deer bed in. I can see them from my elevated stand, but barely. They don't notice you when they're in there.

Do you guys think if I following my corning routine an hour and a half before legal shooting it will disrupt the property too much? Deer definitely party in that entire field I'll be circling at night. The total size of my property is 80 acres.

Also of note: there is a good place to park the truck where it's barely viewable even 10 yards away, so that's not really an issue. There are always tractors and trucks and cutters and hay bailers in this field, so the animals don't really spook from vehicles to terribly easily.

I want your thoughts. They are valuable to me.

Re: Need your opinion - to corn or not to corn? - 10/31/14 01:16 PM

A relevant fact that I didn't mention is that this is not something I've done prior to doing it for the first time last night. If the deer were used to it, there'd be no question.

This will be the first time I make a big corning run in the morning in that field.
Posted By: rifleman

Re: Need your opinion - to corn or not to corn? - 10/31/14 01:42 PM

In my professional opinion, I would corn all the dark green lines surrounding your lines and stars.
Posted By: TxsHunter99

Re: Need your opinion - to corn or not to corn? - 10/31/14 01:48 PM

Sweet now I know how to find everything when I got hunt your spot up
Posted By: mmcan

Re: Need your opinion - to corn or not to corn? - 10/31/14 01:52 PM

With the front coming in today, you might be up wind of the area that you're planning to walk to lay down corn. Later this weekend, the wind might shift to coming from the NNE, so that would be good.

Re: Need your opinion - to corn or not to corn? - 10/31/14 02:03 PM

Originally Posted By: ETxsHunter
Sweet now I know how to find everything when I got hunt your spot up

Good luck getting past the 9 land owners whose places you have to drive through to get to mine. They ain't what you'd call "friendly".
Posted By: RDNCK

Re: Need your opinion - to corn or not to corn? - 10/31/14 02:14 PM

I personally don't think I'd drive to the west of your red line if that's a known bedding area
Posted By: basspromaster

Re: Need your opinion - to corn or not to corn? - 10/31/14 03:17 PM

I believe I get your plan of attack. You come in the gate and hang a left down your road to your blind and you corn basically on the way. Then u want to add more corn from ur second feeder back to the blind. If that's the case then your fine. Personally I prefer just putting extra corn around my feeder hoping the longer the animals are there the more will show up.

Re: Need your opinion - to corn or not to corn? - 10/31/14 03:31 PM

Originally Posted By: RDNCK
I personally don't think I'd drive to the west of your red line if that's a known bedding area

One thing you can't see from the aerial is that where the blue line is west of the red line, there's a nice sendero cut. Probably 10 acres of hay to the east of it and 90 acres to the west. I had 2 does come out of the hay and hit the corn 7 minutes after I threw it last night. Never knew they were there - it's pretty tall stuff.

Re: Need your opinion - to corn or not to corn? - 10/31/14 03:32 PM

Originally Posted By: basspromaster
I believe I get your plan of attack. You come in the gate and hang a left down your road to your blind and you corn basically on the way. Then u want to add more corn from ur second feeder back to the blind. If that's the case then your fine. Personally I prefer just putting extra corn around my feeder hoping the longer the animals are there the more will show up.

I'm basically corning the perimeter of my property and the tree line between my stand and northern feeder plus the sendero that borders the huge hay patch.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Need your opinion - to corn or not to corn? - 10/31/14 03:35 PM

Originally Posted By: rifleman
In my professional opinion, I would corn all the dark green lines surrounding your lines and stars.

Yup as much corn as possible... you sure wont hurt anything

Id toss out about 3-4 bags minimum on a spot like that
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Need your opinion - to corn or not to corn? - 10/31/14 03:36 PM

I know that creek
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Need your opinion - to corn or not to corn? - 10/31/14 04:39 PM

I've had deer bedded down and drove right up on them when corning in the morning. They don't mind being disturbed one bit knowing you are bringing the groceries.
Corn just as you did before. Wind direction can be hard to judge in open areas as wind currents swirl around depending on a lot of factors such as terrain, tree lines, fence lines etc. If you are in a box blind I think it makes little difference as most of your scent is contained.
Corn it on your way in and don't worry about it.

Re: Need your opinion - to corn or not to corn? - 10/31/14 06:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Navasot
I know that creek

It's a good one. Loaded with fish and wood ducks.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Need your opinion - to corn or not to corn? - 10/31/14 07:08 PM

Perhaps it's not your land but the best place for a stand is the field corner near the top left corner of the image.

Re: Need your opinion - to corn or not to corn? - 10/31/14 07:13 PM

Yeah, that's not my land. I know the guy that leases it, but he doesn't hunt it often (if at all) because he's got another 1000 acres bordering it.
Posted By: ddmm

Re: Need your opinion - to corn or not to corn? - 10/31/14 08:21 PM

I wouldn't risk driving around that close to stands and feeders. Our place doesn't have much traffic outside of hunting season and when someone drives around the deer don't stop running until they hit the next county. Carry you a bucket and line some corn if you just have to put out extra corn or trip the feeders and extra time or two when you go by.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum