Texas Hunting Forum

1st deer hunt for my daughter this Saturday

Posted By: doogie

1st deer hunt for my daughter this Saturday - 10/31/14 04:17 AM

1 st deer hunt for my daughter this Saturday.

She's 10 and I haven't taken a kid deer hunting before. She did shoot a few coons this summer when we were setting up the feeders.

Any suggestions appreciated.
Posted By: Luke27

Re: 1st deer hunt for my daughter this Saturday - 10/31/14 04:44 AM

Same boat you are in, hope that I can get my daughter (7) on a doe this season. If not im sure we will have fun just sitting in a blind together.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: 1st deer hunt for my daughter this Saturday - 10/31/14 04:54 AM

Earplugs, good binoculars, drinks and snacks, and patience. Enjoy your time together, then let us know how it went. up
Posted By: davvy

Re: 1st deer hunt for my daughter this Saturday - 10/31/14 05:17 AM

Took my niece on her first big game hunt a few years back my recommendations go as fallows. Don't make it a bring food, toilet paper, something to distract her when she gets bored "like a book" and don't forget she wants to have fun more than anything. Don't be afraid to let her get out of the stand after a few hours. Even at the risk of spooking deer.... Once it's not fun anymore you've lost the battle.

good luck!
Posted By: Seadog

Re: 1st deer hunt for my daughter this Saturday - 10/31/14 07:18 AM

Originally Posted By: davvy
Took my niece on her first big game hunt a few years back my recommendations go as fallows. Don't make it a bring food, toilet paper, something to distract her when she gets bored "like a book" and don't forget she wants to have fun more than anything. Don't be afraid to let her get out of the stand after a few hours. Even at the risk of spooking deer.... Once it's not fun anymore you've lost the battle.

good luck!

x2
Posted By: Rithy

Re: 1st deer hunt for my daughter this Saturday - 10/31/14 09:18 AM

I can't wait till my little ones are old enough to go with daddy. Too my 4 year old dove hunting with me this season but she was more interested in picking up the spent shells roflmao but we had a great time and she couldn't wait to rip the birds open to see the berries roflmao
Posted By: Western

Re: 1st deer hunt for my daughter this Saturday - 10/31/14 09:30 AM

Be extra safe
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: 1st deer hunt for my daughter this Saturday - 10/31/14 10:31 AM

Just have fun, that is truly what it is all about. And take lots of coolpics worthless
Posted By: Radical1

Re: 1st deer hunt for my daughter this Saturday - 10/31/14 12:01 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Just have fun, that is truly what it is all about. And take lots of coolpics worthless

I remember taking my son for the first time and I loved it. Remeber they are kids they are going to gbet squirmey. Point out all the cool things that we take for granted at time and above all HAVE FUN.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: 1st deer hunt for my daughter this Saturday - 10/31/14 12:24 PM

Take a camera and binocs.
Posted By: sloveless

Re: 1st deer hunt for my daughter this Saturday - 10/31/14 12:36 PM

Like others above have said, have fun, enjoy the moment and make some memories. It's more about the good times than the actual deer hunting, though seeing a monster buck never hurts banana

I second stx, takes lots of pics!
Posted By: jdk1985

Re: 1st deer hunt for my daughter this Saturday - 10/31/14 12:37 PM

have fun
Posted By: 8pointdrop

Re: 1st deer hunt for my daughter this Saturday - 10/31/14 01:39 PM

I never take food, games, or books. I take lots of kids out and biggest thing is keep them warm, cold kids don't have fun period. For entertainment they have binos. Keep the hunts short, say 2 hrs. If they can't sit still and watch stuff through binos for 2 hrs without eating or playing on an ipad, they are probably too young or hunting ain't their thing.
Posted By: Weegs

Re: 1st deer hunt for my daughter this Saturday - 10/31/14 02:50 PM

Anytime you spend with your kids is good time. One game that has helped me keep my children occupied AND helped develop their observational skills is "I Spy." Look around the area and once you see something, say "I Spy ......what ever" Then let the child find it. Then it is their turn to "spy." Start easy and make it fun. Also a great game to play at restaurants when the service is slow.
Be Safe, Be Patient, Have Fun, Good Luck
Posted By: redchevy

Re: 1st deer hunt for my daughter this Saturday - 10/31/14 03:01 PM

Bring a picture of a broadside deer or look one up on your phone. Ask where the crosshairs go, when to shoot and not to shoot etc.
Posted By: JRJ6

Re: 1st deer hunt for my daughter this Saturday - 10/31/14 04:04 PM

Good luck! Like everyone else said, try to keep it fun.
Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Re: 1st deer hunt for my daughter this Saturday - 10/31/14 07:11 PM

Originally Posted By: JRJ6
Good luck! Like everyone else said, try to keep it fun.

Hope you ll have a great time!
Posted By: ddmm

Re: 1st deer hunt for my daughter this Saturday - 10/31/14 08:26 PM

lots of good info provided.....their attention span is minutes not hours. Keep it fun so they want to come back, constantly telling them to be quiet, you'll spook the deer, will turn them off after awhile.
bring:
camera \ phone \ book
electronic game
snacks
small blanket
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: 1st deer hunt for my daughter this Saturday - 11/01/14 05:53 AM

Good luck to everyone.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum