Texas Hunting Forum

I'm such an idiot

Posted By: Tylercohunter

I'm such an idiot - 10/25/14 05:22 PM

After 3 years of hunting with no success, I just had a nice buck follow a doe ontoy pipeline about 130 yards away and I clean missed him. My brother and I searched for over an hour without finding a spot of blood. So I'm back in the stand hoping some more rutting bucks will show up this evening.
Posted By: Rollandshoot

Re: I'm such an idiot - 10/25/14 05:42 PM

Thats called buck fever. Or need to sight ur rifle. One of them.
Posted By: catslayer

Re: I'm such an idiot - 10/25/14 06:01 PM

... hope ur mld or a youth
Posted By: Tylercohunter

Re: I'm such an idiot - 10/25/14 06:28 PM

Yeah I'm 16. Hopefully I'll see that buck again, at least on camera to know he's alright that would make me feel better
Posted By: Kopfjager Industries

Re: I'm such an idiot - 10/25/14 06:34 PM

Don't beat yourself up too much.....Everybody misses. Hope you get another crack at him.
Posted By: RedSnake

Re: I'm such an idiot - 10/25/14 06:48 PM

At least you're out there. I'm stuck with a mile long honey-doodoo list
Posted By: Antler Addicts

Re: I'm such an idiot - 10/25/14 06:52 PM

Keep at it bud! take some practice shots to regain your confidence in your weapon and let that rifle kick your shoulder in without fighting back smile
Posted By: Rluckie

Re: I'm such an idiot - 10/25/14 07:54 PM

That's better than the alternative...not seeing one at all. We've all missed like others have said.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: I'm such an idiot - 10/25/14 08:19 PM

Good luck this afternoon.
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: I'm such an idiot - 10/25/14 11:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Tylercohunter
Yeah I'm 16. Hopefully I'll see that buck again, at least on camera to know he's alright that would make me feel better

^^^^^^^^^^
Don't listen to this guy! Beat yourself up! Cuz we all do when we miss! That way we learn not to miss the next time!
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: I'm such an idiot - 10/25/14 11:51 PM

I don't think this classifies you as an idiot, just human.

Despite all the stories of everyone on here dropping deer right there all the time from 300 yards, we all miss. And if you don't miss at some point in your life, you are just a liar.

Practice with the gun, so when the time Comes the marksmanship stuff comes naturally and all you have to worry about is the buck fever. When the buck fever stops, it's time
To stop hunting.
Posted By: Shadeabby

Re: I'm such an idiot - 10/26/14 12:32 AM

I've missed all kinda of shots on anaimal a as well traveled across the globe to miss animals in Africa lol. It happens. Don't beat your self up.
Posted By: Jkd106

Re: I'm such an idiot - 10/26/14 01:40 AM

That's hunting, just keep at it. Good luck
Posted By: TakeMeLord

Re: I'm such an idiot - 10/27/14 11:47 PM

I had to WORK at overcoming flinch.
Posted By: txshntr

Re: I'm such an idiot - 10/27/14 11:52 PM

Don't feel bad...it happens
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: I'm such an idiot - 10/28/14 12:58 AM

The basic rule of proficiency is to practice until you can't get it wrong. When it comes to shooting, that means shooting until you can't miss. Most importantly, it will build confidence that will outlast the worst case of Buck Fever.

It's been found that the average hunter's heart can beat faster than a marathon runner when a case of Buck Fever takes over. The best way to calm the nerves, is with steadfast confidence that comes from knowing what you "will" do, rather than what you "hope" to do.

Good luck!
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: I'm such an idiot - 10/28/14 01:11 AM

Shake it off. It happens.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: I'm such an idiot - 10/28/14 02:38 AM

You need to be "locked in", when you shoot. Meaning, you need a good solid rest. Too many hunters shoot off-hand at deer that seem close. I know, because I've done it in the past, often with bad results. Now that many counties in Texas are antler restricted, you really need to take your time to observe your deer, and make sure the deer is legal and shot placement is on target.
Posted By: Javelin225ho

Re: I'm such an idiot - 10/28/14 03:09 AM

it happens…I've missed a many of bucks…i killed my first one with gun when i was 16, then my second when i was 27.
Posted By: BigBucky2014

Re: I'm such an idiot - 10/28/14 04:38 PM

It probably won't be the last deer you ever miss. Like others have said, make 100% sure your rifle is dead on. I took a rifle out of my safe this year to make sure it was sighted in and it was way off. No idea why, but that's why I check them all before each season. You never know when a scope can get bumped. I have lots of confidence when I shoot, but only because I double check that I'm sighted in and I practice.

Good luck!! Get 'em next time!!
Posted By: RossCravens

Re: I'm such an idiot - 10/28/14 04:38 PM

Don't beat your self up too bad. Learn from your mistakes and get it right next time. I have missed more deer than I care to admit, but it made me a better shot in the long run. Practice when you can and learn from it...you will never get over the fever tho, and if you do it is time to hang up the rifle!

I am glad to hear that you spent time looking for sign, that is the responsible action.
Posted By: Erich

Re: I'm such an idiot - 10/28/14 09:30 PM

anyone who's never missed a deer just hasn't shot at very many deer. it happens. better than wounding one. although inevitably if you shoot at enough deer...that will some day happen too.

last year I was in one of our stands...and a hog came out...so I shot him...and shortly there-after the feeder went off and another hog came out and I shot him too....and then not long after that a third hog came out...and I think at that point I'd just gone thru the motions enough that morning that I stuck the gun out and shot without taking time to focus on the shot...but I flat out missed her at about 50yds. how on earth? I dunno...it happens. have to focus on your shot.
Posted By: tth_40

Re: I'm such an idiot - 10/28/14 09:34 PM

Go check your zero, then GET BACK OUT THERE!

We have all missed at least one at one time or another. Keep at it! cheers
Posted By: clear creek 89

Re: I'm such an idiot - 10/28/14 09:48 PM

Dang that video cracked me up lol!
Posted By: Seadog

Re: I'm such an idiot - 10/29/14 07:23 AM

It happens to the best of us!!! I'd rather have a good clean miss than a bad shot like a gut shot where the animal suffers!!!
Posted By: NVC--

Re: I'm such an idiot - 10/29/14 03:05 PM

I feel better over a miss than wounding a deer any day. Dont beat youself up. Think about why you missed and learn from your mistakes.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum