Texas Hunting Forum

Age/thoughts on 10pt and a spike

Posted By: sloveless

Age/thoughts on 10pt and a spike - 10/22/14 04:29 PM

Okay, so this is a ~300 acre property I hunt in McCulloch county. It is LF, relatively high hunting pressure, with other folks on the property and neighbors that are trigger happy. We rarely see mature deer, but I am trying to not be the neighbor that shoots the 2yr old bucks. We have a pretty poor buck to doe ratio, and I try to work on that every year, but I think I am the only one that shoots does - everybody else just shoots bucks.

With that said, give me some thoughts and age estimates for this 10 pt. This is probably one of the top 2 bucks I have seen on this property in ~5 years. I'm going to guess 3.5 just for kicks. Sorry for the somewhat crappy pics, he didn't want to stand broadside like a good boy.

Okay, so here is my spike. I am thinking he is young, but with this amount of length, if he was going to branch I imagine he would have already. Don't want to start the shoot vs. save the spike debate. Thoughts on age and if this is genetic. I think 2.5 and am leaning towards shoot.

It has been a really good year it seems, way more basket 8s than we have seen in past. We used to see a lot of 4-6 point 1.5/2.5 YO's, this year seems like almost all of our young bucks look like this:
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Age/thoughts on 10pt and a spike - 10/22/14 05:26 PM

He looks 3.5 to me.

If your happy with him then take him!
Posted By: jseago

Re: Age/thoughts on 10pt and a spike - 10/22/14 05:28 PM

spike is last years fawn, bigger buck looks 3.5 to me too

Re: Age/thoughts on 10pt and a spike - 10/22/14 05:32 PM

You have a good age progression in the pics, Id say the spike is 1.5 YO, the little 6 or 8, cant tell if he has brows or not is 2.5 YO, and the ten looks 3.5 YO.
Posted By: Kactuskiller

Re: Age/thoughts on 10pt and a spike - 10/22/14 06:09 PM

The 10 looks 2.5 max 3.5 and could be a stud. The spike is a yearling.
Posted By: 8pointdrop

Re: Age/thoughts on 10pt and a spike - 10/22/14 06:20 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
You have a good age progression in the pics, Id say the spike is 1.5 YO, the little 6 or 8, cant tell if he has brows or not is 2.5 YO, and the ten looks 3.5 YO.

Yep ^^

The spike debate is up to you. Nearly every spike is a 1.5, only on rare occasions will a buck any older than that be a spike.

Personal I don't think a spike will ever have what a 4 or 6+ point 1.5 yr old buck will. So I shoot spikes, BUT my herd has enough of those 4-6+´s that I can still have a good buck carry over.

There are people that have herds where killing every spike would eliminate 75% of their young bucks. Fast forward 4 yrs and they have very few mature bucks after killing an entire age class.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Age/thoughts on 10pt and a spike - 10/22/14 06:26 PM

2.5 on the ten. Don't think he is 3.5 from those pics.

Re: Age/thoughts on 10pt and a spike - 10/22/14 06:34 PM

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

If the ten is 2.5 then your saying that that smaller 6/8 pt and the spike are the same age or the spike was born this year?

Re: Age/thoughts on 10pt and a spike - 10/22/14 06:35 PM

Last pic would be 1.5 then? Or some age class as the ten?

popcorn

Re: Age/thoughts on 10pt and a spike - 10/22/14 06:35 PM

Thanks for the input everybody. I really like the 10, but I will probably give him a pass this year. If he is really only a 2.5/3.5 YO, and he can manage to make it a few years he could be a bruiser for this property! Those brows sure could end up being pretty wicked looking.

My main reason for leaning to shoot the spike is based on the rest of the herd, all of the other young bucks look pretty good. Add in the spike length, and I think this guy should be branching by now. My main concern is the poor buck:doe ratio - probably won't make my mind up until I see him through a scope.

Re: Age/thoughts on 10pt and a spike - 10/22/14 06:39 PM

If you have a poor buck to doe ratio as in few bucks and a lot of does I would not shoot the spike and shoot a doe.
Posted By: Troutfisch

Re: Age/thoughts on 10pt and a spike - 10/22/14 06:59 PM

I'd concur with others at 3.5 YO on the 10. Plenty of potential, with really nice brows and good mass/tine length for that age.
Posted By: landsurveyor

Re: Age/thoughts on 10pt and a spike - 10/22/14 07:10 PM

My guess is 2.5 on the 10 and the spike and basket buck are 1.5

Re: Age/thoughts on 10pt and a spike - 10/22/14 07:15 PM

If the ten is 2.5 then your saying that that smaller 6/8 pt and the spike are the same age or the spike was born this year?

From those limited pics

Spike and little guy are same age. I hunt Brady. There are two distinct deer herds in that county. With distinct body weights. They intermingle more and more every year, you will have big body weight swings.

This is a straight up 3.5 year old deer. And in Dec heavily rutted up.

Watched him since he was a wee-little guy. He has had same wave every year on bad side, and white back foot. 9/10 on here would call him 4.5 do to his neck brisket. What you don't see in that pic is he is at an incline moving up. Once he is on flat ground neck goes back to normal 3.5

Here is a 2.5 year old.

Fully mature 6.5.

4.5 year old but teeth were more 3.5 and only history we had of him. Wish I had more history

Posted By: SingleShot85

Re: Age/thoughts on 10pt and a spike - 10/22/14 07:20 PM

If you have a poor buck to doe ratio as in few bucks and a lot of does I would not shoot the spike and shoot a doe.

hum........ or, you shoot his junky a$$ and 3 does with him.. problem solved
Posted By: Grosvenor

Re: Age/thoughts on 10pt and a spike - 10/22/14 08:03 PM

I would let both of them walk and focus on the does
Posted By: Mountain Man

Re: Age/thoughts on 10pt and a spike - 10/22/14 09:51 PM

The last 3 years I hunted in McCulloch county 10 miles south of Brady near Voca. In my opinion it is a great deer county with potential for some very nice bucks. I would pass on the spike because he is very young. the ten point looks to be 3.5 years and is a good buck similar to some we saw on our lease. I killed a 5.5 yr old ten point last year that was 19 inches wide and a 4.5 year old 11 point that was 18.5 inches wide in 2012. We never saw either of these deer on camera and only had one encounter with one while working before season. In my opinion if you are patient and give the ten a pass he will be a toad next year, and who knows you might see an old toad you have never seen by being patient. We sure did.
Posted By: HarperDeer

Re: Age/thoughts on 10pt and a spike - 10/22/14 10:22 PM

If you have a bunch of 1.5 YO 6-8 points I'd shoot the spike.

I love the briwtines on that 10!

Re: Age/thoughts on 10pt and a spike - 10/22/14 11:01 PM

From those limited pics

Spike and little guy are same age. I hunt Brady. There are two distinct deer herds in that county. With distinct body weights. They intermingle more and more every year, you will have big body weight swings.

This is a straight up 3.5 year old deer. And in Dec heavily rutted up.

Watched him since he was a wee-little guy. He has had same wave every year on bad side, and white back foot. 9/10 on here would call him 4.5 do to his neck brisket. What you don't see in that pic is he is at an incline moving up. Once he is on flat ground neck goes back to normal 3.5

Here is a 2.5 year old.

Fully mature 6.5.

4.5 year old but teeth were more 3.5 and only history we had of him. Wish I had more history

Good pics and description. up

Since you have the experience in the area I can't really argue. And I agree with all the bucks in your pics!!, but in the OP pics I can't get pic 1 and the last buck in the same age class. I don't see him being last year's fawn like the spike either. That big of a swing in body structure isn't something I've seen in the few different herds I've hunted, but every herd is different.

You mentioned that there are 2 distinct herds in that area. That is really interesting and not something I've ever seen. Learn something new everyday.

Re: Age/thoughts on 10pt and a spike - 10/23/14 12:59 AM

You got to remember Brady has had some of the best rains in the state last TWO years so they are real healthly. Buck crop this year is the best health I've seen since 2007. Should be some studs come out of there. Fawn crop is crazy, very heavy recruitment this year. That last pic I posted is western mason county, but only 30 miles as a crow files to the other deer in Brady. His body weight was much less then the western 4.5 year old or older Brady deer.

Eastern Brady has more of that mason/llano body types typical hill country, western Brady is large bodied, longer legs..more west Texas like. Western deer of Brady will out weight eastern by 20lbs plus at 6.5 usually some times more.

Op has a potential stud on his hands. Even if he is 3.5, what do you think that deer will be at 6.5.... Stud!!!

Re: Age/thoughts on 10pt and a spike - 10/23/14 01:08 AM

Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
The last 3 years I hunted in McCulloch county 10 miles south of Brady near Voca. In my opinion it is a great deer county with potential for some very nice bucks. I would pass on the spike because he is very young. the ten point looks to be 3.5 years and is a good buck similar to some we saw on our lease. I killed a 5.5 yr old ten point last year that was 19 inches wide and a 4.5 year old 11 point that was 18.5 inches wide in 2012. We never saw either of these deer on camera and only had one encounter with one while working before season. In my opinion if you are patient and give the ten a pass he will be a toad next year, and who knows you might see an old toad you have never seen by being patient. We sure did.

Voca got some studs, 173 was killed few years back via bow
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Age/thoughts on 10pt and a spike - 10/23/14 01:17 AM

You got to remember Brady has had some of the best rains in the state last TWO years so they are real healthly. Buck crop this year is the best health I've seen since 2007. Should be some studs come out of there. Fawn crop is crazy, very heavy recruitment this year. That last pic I posted is western mason county, but only 30 miles as a crow files to the other deer in Brady. His body weight was much less then the western 4.5 year old or older Brady deer.

Eastern Brady has more of that mason/llano body types typical hill country, western Brady is large bodied, longer legs..more west Texas like. Western deer of Brady will out weight eastern by 20lbs plus at 6.5 usually some times more.

Op has a potential stud on his hands. Even if he is 3.5, what do you think that deer will be at 6.5.... Stud!!!

That rainfall is really dependent on where you are standing in that county. I have buddy who has had 4 bad years for total rainfall and below average. He has had rainy periods but not a wet year that was above average. His tanks have not caught run off to fill the pit in that time period.
A lot will depend on the ranch in that county even as much as location from what I have seen. On those larger ranches east of Brady you will find larger bodied bucks that score very well. There are a couple of land owners that have some really great bucks east of town. One large LO has land all over the county. The best deer seen was seen close to Brady Lake on a helicopter survey about 4 yrs ago that was a typical 7x7 that would have grossed low 180's.
The deer in OP is a 3yr old IMO. I have seen very very few 2 yr olds that were LF deer or even native HF deer that had browtines that long. Is it possible... yes, probable... no. You also have to remember if that deer was born in the drought year and I mean bad drought year, he started life in a hole nutrition wise. He is lucky to have survived that year. That is why I am thinking his a 3 yr old also.
Posted By: Javelin225ho

Re: Age/thoughts on 10pt and a spike - 10/23/14 01:26 AM

this is a very interesting read…these deer look huge. my lease is in Robert Lee and i see many pics of peckerheads, 2.5's all over the place…i am not sure i am going to spend a tag on a spike, unless i know for sure he's 2.5 or 3.5. we have one heavy spike i may let the wife shoot as a cull buck, but we have many culls on the property.

Re: Age/thoughts on 10pt and a spike - 10/23/14 01:40 AM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman

That rainfall is really dependent on where you are standing in that county. I have buddy who has had 4 bad years for total rainfall and below average. He has had rainy periods but not a wet year that was above average. His tanks have not caught run off to fill the pit in that time period.
A lot will depend on the ranch in that county even as much as location from what I have seen. On those larger ranches east of Brady you will find larger bodied bucks that score very well. There are a couple of land owners that have some really great bucks east of town. One large LO has land all over the county. The best deer seen was seen close to Brady Lake on a helicopter survey about 4 yrs ago that was a typical 7x7 that would have grossed low 180's.
The deer in OP is a 3yr old IMO. I have seen very very few 2 yr olds that were LF deer or even native HF deer that had browtines that long. Is it possible... yes, probable... no. You also have to remember if that deer was born in the drought year and I mean bad drought year, he started life in a hole nutrition wise. He is lucky to have survived that year. That is why I am thinking his a 3 yr old also.

I'm still sticking with 2.5 with those pics, I did notice the brows and questioned my gut but I'm going to stick with 2.5 unless we get better pics.

My favorite ranch there went on the sale.. You got 25mill?

Re: Age/thoughts on 10pt and a spike - 10/23/14 01:55 AM

I'm still sticking with 2.5 with those pics, I did notice the brows and questioned my gut but I'm going to stick with 2.5 unless we get better pics.

My favorite ranch there went on the sale.. You got 25mill?

I am sticking with my gut and 3.5 since that is what I said when I looked at the pic knowing how dry it was 3 yrs ago. Very few fawns survived that year.
What ranch? There are some dang good ones east of town. If I had the money that is where I would start looking. Great genetics and big deer in that area.

Re: Age/thoughts on 10pt and a spike - 10/23/14 02:37 AM

Bar z but I just looked it already sold

I just don't see it three years later, two yes but don't know about three. I'm trying not to crawfish but know your in my head...lol time will tell which one of us is right
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Age/thoughts on 10pt and a spike - 10/23/14 02:44 AM

First two pics, the buck is probably 3.5. On a 300 tract, you might want to take him. Or not, your choice.

Re: Age/thoughts on 10pt and a spike - 10/23/14 02:54 AM

Then you are that neighbor. All but one of this pics above is on a 220 ranch, with a 155 taken last year that was watched and passed on for a few years. And that's with a day lease next door!!!
Posted By: A.B.

Re: Age/thoughts on 10pt and a spike - 10/23/14 02:58 AM

Shoulders aren't full and muscled enough for me to call him 3.5. I'm going 2.5 as well. He is still a gangly teenager.
Posted By: Curly

Re: Age/thoughts on 10pt and a spike - 10/23/14 02:59 AM

Can you be that neighbor if you don't gripe about that neighbor?
confused2

Re: Age/thoughts on 10pt and a spike - 10/23/14 03:05 AM

Originally Posted By: Curly
confused2

No, because your shooting it because you want too not because you need an excuse.

I personally don't care what anyone shoots, happy for every hunter that posts a deer, big, small, ugly, pretty.

but if you are trying to get older age classes and decide to shoot it because you neighbor might then you are that neighbor and you made an excuse to kill it. If you want it, shoot it!!!! be proud but don't lesson it via an excuse.
Posted By: Curly

Re: Age/thoughts on 10pt and a spike - 10/23/14 03:07 AM

Originally Posted By: Curly
confused2

No, because your shooting it because you want too not because you need an excuse.

I personally don't care what anyone shoots, happy for every hunter that posts a deer, big, small, ugly, pretty.

but if you are trying to get older age classes and decide to shoot it because you neighbor might then you are that neighbor and you made an excuse to kill it. If you want it, shoot it!!!! be proud but don't lesson it via an excuse.

cheers

Re: Age/thoughts on 10pt and a spike - 10/23/14 03:11 AM

I just don't see it three years later, two yes but don't know about three. I'm trying not to crawfish but know your in my head...lol time will tell which one of us is right

That ranch would have been a guess but thought it sold a while back.

Re: Age/thoughts on 10pt and a spike - 10/23/14 03:22 AM

That ranch would have been a guess but thought it sold a while back.

I know it was for sale earlier this year, I bought 10 lotto tickets that week. It apparently wasn't ment to be
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Age/thoughts on 10pt and a spike - 10/23/14 03:32 AM

Don't see it and I am not far from you. What do you think the top end and management is like on the place that you are hunting compared to where he is hunting. What is the supplemental feeding program on your place like?

Like I said, I am not far from you and our rainfall has not been that great. This Summer and early fall has been good, but we had a record setting dry winter and rains started late in the growing season.

As far as brows go...two year olds can grow them or is he a 1.5....

And you and STX know better than to age looking at the antlers trout

Re: Age/thoughts on 10pt and a spike - 10/23/14 03:34 AM

Then you are that neighbor. All but one of this pics above is on a 220 ranch, with a 155 taken last year that was watched and passed on for a few years. And that's with a day lease next door!!!

What kind of management and what is the top end that comes of that "day lease" popcorn

Re: Age/thoughts on 10pt and a spike - 10/23/14 03:44 AM

Originally Posted By: txshntr

What kind of management and what is the top end that comes of that "day lease" popcorn

You ain't got any rain? I don't want to rub it in then...,,,cause we have gotten hammered. Last weekend every tank was at the spill way been that way all year. Also bright green. All road are washed out, etc...

No protein on us or HOT, Management is simple via age for us, next door age and 8pt over 120 and 10pt 125.

Top end on day lease is same as us mid to upper 50's but 70's isn't out of the question, and 60's gets killed about every two to three years. Now this year maybe a different story, it's not part of HOT anymore and they got 40guys on it as straight lease but all still bow. It actually will probably push a lot of deer to us.

As far as what the OP has around him I have no idea,

Re: Age/thoughts on 10pt and a spike - 10/23/14 03:47 AM

You ain't got any rain? I don't want to rub it in then...,,,cause we have gotten hammered. Last weekend every tank was at the spill way been that way all year. Also bright green.

No protein on either ranch. Management is simple via age for us, next door age and 8pt over 120 and 10pt 125.

Top end on day lease is same as us mid to upper 50's but 70's isn't out of the question, and 60's gets killed about every two to three years. Now this year maybe a different story, it's not part of HOT anymore and they got 40guys on it as straight lease but all still bow. It actually will probably push a lot of deer to us.

Oh no, we have had the recent rains and the Summer rains. Tanks are full and we are about as green as I have seen it this time of year. Last 4 years has been spotty, but 2011 was the last great winter/spring rain season.

Re: Age/thoughts on 10pt and a spike - 10/23/14 03:49 AM

2011 we where dust, we got good rains early this year. And your over 15 miles smile

Re: Age/thoughts on 10pt and a spike - 10/23/14 03:52 AM

2011 we where dust

We were too...looked back and it was 2010 since our last great Spring

Re: Age/thoughts on 10pt and a spike - 10/23/14 04:06 AM

I think 2011 was when are doe weights dropped 20%, don't think we killed any bucks that year

Re: Age/thoughts on 10pt and a spike - 10/23/14 04:08 AM

I think 2011 was when are doe weights dropped 20%

I don't have our records here, but ours dropped too. Bucks even more than the doe and antler decline was amazing. It was sad when you cleaned one, not an ounce of fat on them. The buck in that pic was killed the next year and scored 137 7/8" if I remember correct.

Re: Age/thoughts on 10pt and a spike - 10/23/14 04:11 AM

It was bad, we where feeding alaflafa that year just during fall and the where hammering it... Unfortunately same year alaflafa was over 400 a ton in places

Re: Age/thoughts on 10pt and a spike - 10/23/14 04:14 AM

It was bad, we where feeding alaflafa that year just during fall and the where hammering it... Unfortunately same year alaflafa was over 400 a ton in places

Do you remember the price of hay? It was cheaper to ship it in from Mississippi...

Back to the topic...you are wrong rofl

And you ignored my statement...grin

Re: Age/thoughts on 10pt and a spike - 10/23/14 12:30 PM

This property is between Eden and Brady - around the Melvin area. We don't have a management strategy at all. My stepdad doesn't shoot a buck unless it will go on his wall, and he has some nice bucks. (The nicest I have seen off the property I would guess is a 140 class deer.) I am becoming the same way, but as I started hunting only 6 years ago, my standards aren't quite as high. I'm also not nearly as good judging deer - these forums help a ton there. nidea The crazy family members will shoot anything they see with antlers...

We had a relatively dry spring, but had some good summer rains. There is no supplemental feeding on the property, just corn feeders starting in mid August to get the deer coming through. About 150 acres of the 300 is in cultivation. It was in winter wheat last year, not sowed at the moment. 2011 was really bad, 2012 was pretty poor too if I remember correctly. But 2011 the pastures just looked barren...

This is the best I have ever seen our bucks look in the ~5 years I've been hunting - and that is the primary reason I am considering taking the spike. If he can't branch when all of the rest of our yearlings are looking good, well, he may not be what I want. juggle

I think the deer in our area have great potential - every year there are some nice 2.5 YO bucks taken. Its just the age/nutrition question. Other than bucks taken many years ago, I have never seen a 5.5/6.5 YO deer in the area.

I had already decided to let the 10 walk. There is a 90% chance somebody will shoot him this year, but it's not gonna be me. Like already said, if he can get a couple more years, he will be an absolute beast for this area. Those browtines keep getting me, hopefully he will still be around in a few years!

Re: Age/thoughts on 10pt and a spike - 10/23/14 12:43 PM

We are neighbors:)

Re: Age/thoughts on 10pt and a spike - 10/23/14 12:44 PM

Do you remember the price of hay? It was cheaper to ship it in from Mississippi...

Back to the topic...you are wrong rofl

And you ignored my statement...grin

I didn't base my thoughts off horns. STX tossed out brows. But he is right I've never seen a 2.5 with brows like that...until now smile

Re: Age/thoughts on 10pt and a spike - 10/23/14 01:43 PM

Don't see it and I am not far from you. What do you think the top end and management is like on the place that you are hunting compared to where he is hunting. What is the supplemental feeding program on your place like?

Like I said, I am not far from you and our rainfall has not been that great. This Summer and early fall has been good, but we had a record setting dry winter and rains started late in the growing season.

He is not a yearling and with better pics might call him a scrawny 3 yr old looking at facial features and he was a spike his first year. bolt And grin luckly he put all his antler growth in those huge browtines cause he ain't got crap for other tine length, spread, beams or mass as a scrawny 3 yr old.

Re: Age/thoughts on 10pt and a spike - 10/23/14 01:46 PM

For txshntr trout

Re: Age/thoughts on 10pt and a spike - 10/23/14 01:52 PM

He is not a yearling and with better pics might call him a scrawny 3 yr old looking at facial features and he was a spike his first year. bolt And grin luckly he put all his antler growth in those huge browtines cause he ain't got crap for other tine length, spread, beams or mass as a scrawny 3 yr old.

Someone done poked the bear

Re: Age/thoughts on 10pt and a spike - 10/23/14 02:08 PM

That was the intention...had the next years pics of him already loaded and a broadside pic from the year of that pic above...I knew what was coming grin

Already shut the computer down and didn't send them to my phone bang
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum