Texas Hunting Forum

Weird,need advice

Posted By: shalbrooks13

Weird,need advice - 10/21/14 04:47 PM

So we had deer coming in to our feeder pretty well every night from August to September. My buddy got a new blind, one of those 2 seaters on sale at academy right now, and set it up early September. The 13th of September he covered the rails in burlap to make a backdrop. And we have only had a couple of deer there since, I literally think we have 1 picture since then. The burlap shouldn't have ran them off and the blind had been there for 2 weeks. Can't figure out where they went and why they left. Got any ideas?
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Weird,need advice - 10/21/14 04:51 PM

Acorns and Forbes
Posted By: JHeflinland

Re: Weird,need advice - 10/21/14 04:53 PM

Most likely acorns. Maybe another food source that has become ready for them to take advantage of? Is the camera working correctly?
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Weird,need advice - 10/21/14 05:07 PM

Winter wheat or oats if they are not eating acorns.
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: Weird,need advice - 10/21/14 05:17 PM

Saves me feed till the first Freeze...Cup half full roflmao
Posted By: TonyinVA

Re: Weird,need advice - 10/21/14 05:20 PM

As stated above...probably a change in food source.

Here in VA the acorns are the big draw and you see the deer shift from crop fields or apples (we have orchards) to acorns. We cannot legally bait in VA, but I would bet that in VA the deer would hit corn over the acorns so I am surprised that they prefer anything over corn.
Posted By: DuckCoach1985

Re: Weird,need advice - 10/21/14 06:13 PM

^^ These guys are right.. acorns started falling about a month ago. with all the rain we've had it might be a while before they get em all so unless you're situated on a well-used trail between food water and bedding area, things might be slow till late winter. At least that's what I've experienced. They will be back though, keep the feeder rollin!
Posted By: pokerj2

Re: Weird,need advice - 10/21/14 06:20 PM

Thats the good thing about hunting a large mesquite flat with no hardwoods!

Re: Weird,need advice - 10/21/14 06:34 PM

I didn't think about the acorns dropping already. We do sit on a wheat field and there are a few oaks out there few and far between the mesquites. We did move the camera back about 5 yards but the feeder should still be in the detection zone.

Re: Weird,need advice - 10/21/14 06:38 PM

Our farmer planted earlier this year so hopefully our wheat field pays off. Thanks for the replies
Posted By: WTGuide

Re: Weird,need advice - 10/21/14 07:52 PM

I think it's the burlap peep
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum