Texas Hunting Forum

I am shocked how many use processors. What do you do?

Posted By: Finfeathernfurr

I am shocked how many use processors. What do you do? - 10/19/14 03:03 AM

I am just curious as to how many of y'all use a processor and how many do it there self. I was brought up that if you killed it you clean it and it is kind of a family event to process the deer and pretty much an assembly line I carry that tradition on. I have a tenderizer for cutlets for chicken fried steaks,grinders,sausage stuffers, wrappers, vacuum sealers,and a dehydrator for jerky. I do know a lot of processors guarantee you get your game back but that just scares the crap out of me I can't take the chance on it personally for my safety and that of my family. I can just see some rookie hearing how it's better to hang there for a few days and leave one hanging at the first bow season at 90° and just take it on in. Also tied to this Is you do it your self what are some of the favorite things you do with the best redmeat on the planet? If it is freezing I am going deer stew, fall winter lean to chicken fried,summer bacon wraped blackstrap medallions on the grill sound pretty good, and jerky it is good anytime of the year LOL. I know we should hear some deer chilly and fajitas but never done it personally. Anyway like I said I'm just kind of curious as to the number of guys who still do it all their self.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: I am shocked how many use processors. What do you do? - 10/19/14 03:09 AM

Used to do all my own processing till about 20 yrs ago. Then time was just not there to take of 3-4 deer during hunting season like it used to be. Now I take to processors that I know.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: I am shocked how many use processors. What do you do? - 10/19/14 03:11 AM

I smoke my hind quarters and cut them across the grain fo lr sandwich meat.

Backstraps and all other cuts get sent to the processor. Bout 3 days later he calls and says come get it. I dont have the time or the tools to get the work done as efficiently and therefore as quickly as he can.

I kill, field dress, quarter, and place in the cooler immediately. Cover in ice, open the drain plug on the cooler and keep replenshing ice for a week, then I take it in. Zero complaints.
Posted By: Ramsey

Re: I am shocked how many use processors. What do you do? - 10/19/14 03:29 AM

I field dress and quarter, then take to a processor
Posted By: erok11

Re: I am shocked how many use processors. What do you do? - 10/19/14 03:39 AM

I do it all myself. However I used to be able to handle a deer (or 2) in a day now it's a multi day process. Kinda lazy ... or getting old... Who knows. Cutting board, knife, vacuum sealer, dehydrator, etc. Nothing fancy but saves $$.

I did take one to the processor last year out of necessity.
Posted By: Kopfjager Industries

Re: I am shocked how many use processors. What do you do? - 10/19/14 04:49 AM

We do it ourselves. Generally we can grind, season, mix and smoke all in one day. Add 50% lean pork trimmings to the deer sausage to give it a little extra moisture.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: I am shocked how many use processors. What do you do? - 10/19/14 05:34 AM

The older, and smarter, hopefully, that I've gotten, I use Kenny Freds in Bluff Dale. I get MY deer back, and quickly. Great sausage too. Deer burgers are awesome, also.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: I am shocked how many use processors. What do you do? - 10/19/14 05:38 AM

Depends on what all we have going on, if we have the time we process, otherwise we pay to have it done.
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: I am shocked how many use processors. What do you do? - 10/19/14 10:48 AM

I do my own.
Posted By: Novemberyet

Re: I am shocked how many use processors. What do you do? - 10/19/14 12:18 PM

My processor is 2/10 mile down the road....if I shoot one just right, I can track it to the cooler over there. We send all of ours out and have been very satisfied.
Posted By: mikey1313

Re: I am shocked how many use processors. What do you do? - 10/19/14 01:06 PM

My 6 year old daughter loves to help butcher and process, so as long as she wants to I will keep doing it at home.
Posted By: TRIJI....WHAT

Re: I am shocked how many use processors. What do you do? - 10/19/14 01:25 PM

I have a full set up in my work shop at the ranch. I do save some of the meat to take after the season closes to have Eddie Ray Specials made at a later date. I find if I wait to do mine until May I know I am getting my meat back. Other than that I do all my own processing. I see deer that I would never want mixed with mine with the way they have been processed. I take as much care in processing as I do to make a clean kill.
Posted By: bermise

Re: I am shocked how many use processors. What do you do? - 10/19/14 02:01 PM

I use the processor always. I don't milk my own cows or churn my own butter either.
Posted By: LandPirate

Re: I am shocked how many use processors. What do you do? - 10/19/14 03:58 PM

We do a lot ourselves but sometimes time is a factor and we take it to a local processor. A lot depends on work schedule and whether we have the time or not.
Posted By: RHutch

Re: I am shocked how many use processors. What do you do? - 10/19/14 04:17 PM

I shoot it, gut it, quarter it and ice it if the situation requires, then off to the processor it goes.
It is more cost effective for me to hire it out.
Posted By: don k

Re: I am shocked how many use processors. What do you do? - 10/19/14 04:22 PM

I have never taken one to a processor and I am too old to start now.
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: I am shocked how many use processors. What do you do? - 10/19/14 04:27 PM

I do it all myself unless I am going to get a lot of sausage made.
Posted By: elkhunter7x6

Re: I am shocked how many use processors. What do you do? - 10/19/14 10:31 PM

I processed my own for several years then I started using a processor. Finally got tired of paying $350+ per year for processing so I have been doing my own again for the last 5yrs.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: I am shocked how many use processors. What do you do? - 10/19/14 11:22 PM

I do my own. The first two deer of the year are made entirely into jerky except what gets eaten at camp.
Posted By: Cow_doc.308

Re: I am shocked how many use processors. What do you do? - 10/20/14 02:47 AM

Grew up doing it myself/ with my family. Got to where we would take quarters to processor if we wanted steaks or sausage made.

Mom used to roast whole quarters when me and my brother were young and we'd eat on them for days. Now just me and my wife can't eat all of that before it goes bad so there's no point in cooking a whole quarter.

I've only ever taken one whole, gutted deer to a processor and go completely screwed on that deal. This year I'll be back to quartering my self and taking just quarters to a processor for steaks, sausage, or whatever.
Posted By: TXMachinist

Re: I am shocked how many use processors. What do you do? - 10/20/14 03:01 AM

I use a processor because my BIL owns old town meat market and he does it.

Re: I am shocked how many use processors. What do you do? - 10/20/14 03:09 AM

How many pounds of jerky do you get off of two whole deer? I do about a half a deer in the jerky but it all gets eaten up fairly quickly LOL
Posted By: SouthWestIron

Re: I am shocked how many use processors. What do you do? - 10/20/14 03:15 AM

Do all my own processing as well. Tremendous amount of satisfaction in this. Why pay for something you can do yourself?
Posted By: Cow_doc.308

Re: I am shocked how many use processors. What do you do? - 10/20/14 03:27 AM

Originally Posted By: blazin
Do all my own processing as well. Tremendous amount of satisfaction in this. Why pay for something you can do yourself?

For the number of deer I kill a year (1-2) it's cheaper to pay to have it done by someone than buy the needed equipment. Not to mention, with the exception of the processor I chose last year, they can do a better job.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: I am shocked how many use processors. What do you do? - 10/20/14 03:41 AM

Haven't used a processor in probably 10 years. I do my own deer and hogs. Interestingly, we had venison fajitas tonight, and although they are excellent, my favorite is thick cut blackstrap steak with blue cheese. Favorite piggy recipe is probably guisado.
Posted By: Twotoes

Re: I am shocked how many use processors. What do you do? - 10/20/14 10:46 AM

Originally Posted By: Novemberyet
My processor is 2/10 mile down the road....if I shoot one just right, I can track it to the cooler over there. We send all of ours out and have been very satisfied.

What processor do you use Novemberyet? I'm in Eastland county too.
Posted By: Hogflyer

Re: I am shocked how many use processors. What do you do? - 10/20/14 11:48 AM

Yep, do it all. From the time the animal hits the ground to the final wrap of butcher paper, and stacking in the freezers. Yes it's work, the satisfaction of not depending on people doing the work. I just don't stuff my own sausage, I let Raus in Brenham Tx do that...... Purchased a monster grinder few years back, was the best investment ever.......

gud luck with your decision.....
Posted By: dawaba

Re: I am shocked how many use processors. What do you do? - 10/20/14 11:58 AM

Growing up, we used to always kill and process our beeves and help our neighbor with processing his hogs. With several people working, it would generally take a solid weekend.

I'm glad those days are gone.

My deer goes to a processor. If I don't want the venison, I pay the fee to have it prepared for the needy through the excellent program, Hunters for the Hungry.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: I am shocked how many use processors. What do you do? - 10/20/14 12:24 PM

I love both pan and link sausage plus chili meat so mine does too.
Posted By: Big C Hazard

Re: I am shocked how many use processors. What do you do? - 10/20/14 01:35 PM

Usually take it to a processor since I don't have all the processing equipment like a vacuum sealer and meat grinder etc.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: I am shocked how many use processors. What do you do? - 10/20/14 02:07 PM

We process our own, it is a family affair. Between me my brother and dad we usually end up processing about 12 or so deer a year and that many or more hogs. We make dried sausage, fresh sausage for bbq or boiling, jap and cheese sausage, summer sausage, steaks, jerky, buck sticks/snack sticks, and burger. I also pump my own gas, change my oil, load my own ammo mow my own yard fix my own cars etc. There is a certain amount of satisfaction out of a job well done. Not to mention its hard for me to part with money and all of our equipment has paid for itself many times over.

It may not matter to some, but paying to process 12 deer a year will cost a small fortune! As my nephews and my boy get older the number of deer will go up.
Posted By: landsurveyor

Re: I am shocked how many use processors. What do you do? - 10/20/14 03:50 PM

I do both. Some deer I take to the processor some I do myself. The ones I do myself usually just stew meat and steaks out of the quarters. Back strap and tenderloins stay whole. Don't grind or make sausage. If I need ground or sausage I just take the quarters to the processor. Never have had a bad experience with a processor.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: I am shocked how many use processors. What do you do? - 10/20/14 04:18 PM

We take a lot of deer (10-15) and have more money than time. Think we're paying $75 in Goldthwaite. My dad is retired but ranching eats up his day and in the end he'd rather pay. We do 1-3 at home but most go to the processor. I am concerned that it seems like we're not getting enough lbs back. I am going to test that this year and see.
Posted By: jdk1985

Re: I am shocked how many use processors. What do you do? - 10/20/14 04:21 PM

I do my own. This year, I'm busy as heck. I still plan to do it myself, but the low $65 processing fee is really attractive if I get too busy.
Posted By: Son of a Blitch

Re: I am shocked how many use processors. What do you do? - 10/20/14 04:23 PM

Process my own - and send some to get sausage done, since I haven't mastered that just yet (or rather haven't had the time to master it).
Posted By: BowSlayer

Re: I am shocked how many use processors. What do you do? - 10/20/14 04:43 PM

I used to do them myself but a few years ago my neighbor opened up a processing facility so I take them to him now. I don't have to worry about who's meat I'm getting and he always does a perfect job. For $50 he cuts and tenderizes all the steaks and makes hamburger or sausage out of the rest. Worth lots more than $50 for me to not have to mess with it. He also makes the best Jalepeno/Cheese Summer Sausage on this planet.
Posted By: broz1

Re: I am shocked how many use processors. What do you do? - 10/20/14 05:19 PM

I do my own. For me its part of it. My wife doesn't hunt much but she likes to help me make sausage. We make breakfast sausage, Italian, Andouille, and jalapeno cheese. Its a way for her to get involved. That said I don't think there's anything wrong with going to a processor that you trust.
Posted By: Grosvenor

Re: I am shocked how many use processors. What do you do? - 10/20/14 05:51 PM

Originally Posted By: blazin

Because my time is worth more than what it costs to have someone else process the meat for me.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: I am shocked how many use processors. What do you do? - 10/20/14 06:11 PM

I do all my own processing. I make smoked sausages, various fresh sausages, pan sausage, summer sausage, jerky, snack sticks, burger, steaks, cutlets, etc etc...I enjoy doing it. It's a lot of work though especially when you're doing a bunch and have little to no help. I used to use processors to have sausage made but had several bad experiences and finally broke down and bought the rest of the equipment I needed, and built a smoke house. I'm also a little picky when it comes to how my meat is taken care of. My teenagers also enjoy helping so get even more quality time there. To me, there is nothing like doing it all from the squeeze of the trigger to firing up that smoke house. I often too get busy with life & work, so I de-bone/weigh/& bag my sausage meat in vacuum bags so it will keep longer if need be. Then, when I have a weekend or two I get after it. My kids & I processed somewhere between 300-400 lbs of meat last year. I might take it a little easier on them this year grin We'll see.
Posted By: Troutfisch

Re: I am shocked how many use processors. What do you do? - 10/20/14 06:40 PM

Originally Posted By: RHutch
I shoot it, gut it, quarter it and ice it if the situation requires, then off to the processor it goes.

X2

Re: I am shocked how many use processors. What do you do? - 10/20/14 06:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Troutfisch

X2

I don't see how. Unless your putting a cost on your time, I don't take vacation to process game so I don't put a cost on my time.
Posted By: Wreckem04

Re: I am shocked how many use processors. What do you do? - 10/20/14 08:29 PM

i gut it, skin it, and quarter it up! then its off to Kuby's we go! my wife and i love their summer sausage and it makes good gifts to co- workers as well! I grew up processing all of our own game, hogs, and beef.. just dont have the setup to do it all now.

Re: I am shocked how many use processors. What do you do? - 10/20/14 09:05 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy

X2

I don't see how. Unless your putting a cost on your time, I don't take vacation to process game so I don't put a cost on my time.

Because my playing/hunting/down time is as valuable to me as my working time. I went to school a bunch of years and work hard so I don't have to do things I don't particularly enjoy. I don't particularly enjoy processing meat. I don't mow my yard, wash my car, and a whole bunch of other stuff either. People enjoy different things. I can make more money-I can't make more time.

Re: I am shocked how many use processors. What do you do? - 10/20/14 09:22 PM

Makes sense. I just enjoy a good day/weekend of sausage making with my dad and brother, making sausage jokes and drinking a cold beer. Guess that's the difference I enjoy it.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: I am shocked how many use processors. What do you do? - 10/20/14 09:31 PM

Makes sense. I just enjoy a good day/weekend of sausage making with my dad and brother, making sausage jokes and drinking a cold beer. Guess that's the difference I enjoy it.

That's it. Some of us enjoy bowling, softball, golf, or whatever. Some of us enjoy making sausage and other meat products in their spare time.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: I am shocked how many use processors. What do you do? - 10/20/14 09:37 PM

X2

If you are not setup with a grinder, cuber, vacuum sealer, butcher paper, tape, stuffer and knives then it is much cheaper and easier to have someone who is do it. By the time you buy all the equipment and supplies you can have deer processed for many years just off the intial investment.
Posted By: Javelin225ho

Re: I am shocked how many use processors. What do you do? - 10/20/14 10:30 PM

i do all my own…no processor or expenditure of money needed. i have a hand crank grinder and use my kitchen knives…the stuffer usually comes with the grinder and a vacuum sealer is something i use for multiple applications. its not that in depth...

Re: I am shocked how many use processors. What do you do? - 10/20/14 10:36 PM

Maybe the processors in/around San Antonio are hi, I have friends and family that have had processing bills of 200-300 bucks for 2 deer. If that is any kind of accurate it doesn't take long at all to pay for a stuffer and grinder.
Posted By: Javelin225ho

Re: I am shocked how many use processors. What do you do? - 10/20/14 10:46 PM

you're right Chevy, these folks are outrageous. if you dont have it quartered in a cooler, they charge some crazy prices. I've seen some yuppie folks pay a $50 fee to gut the deer too….the funny thing is, the processor will just take the meat off the bone and never even gut the animal, except to take the tenderloins out…even then, you never have to open the belly! its all about what you are willing to pay for i reckon
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: I am shocked how many use processors. What do you do? - 10/20/14 10:48 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman

X2

If you are not setup with a grinder, cuber, vacuum sealer, butcher paper, tape, stuffer and knives then it is much cheaper and easier to have someone who is do it. By the time you buy all the equipment and supplies you can have deer processed for many years just off the intial investment.
This is true. Besides, Kenny Freds is only a hop skip and a jump away. And I get MY deer back. Stephanie calls me when she's processing mine to let me know it'll be ready to pick up the next day.
Posted By: djs303

Re: I am shocked how many use processors. What do you do? - 10/20/14 10:56 PM

I process my own to make steak, stew, chili, hamburger, smoked sausage, jerky, tamales, etc. We do it as a family and have a good time with good eats. Heard too many horror stories about processors.

Re: I am shocked how many use processors. What do you do? - 10/21/14 12:32 AM

The only thing I have ever thought about looking for a processor that can ashure me the deboned meat I take him or her is summer sausage. Then again I'm pretty sure I will just end up reading up on it and doing it myself in the long run would really like to make my own venison summer sausage. Really glad to see all the responses of guys who still do it there self in a family setting. We take out what we are going to eat immediately and for the most part we freeze the quarters and wrap until the end of the season to set up our assembly line it is really a great weekend with the family.

Re: I am shocked how many use processors. What do you do? - 10/21/14 12:34 AM

Time spent with my family is always better than being at work and making money. But I do see the other side as we all enjoy doin it together and enjoy the harvest. So I guess I can see that point of view.

Re: I am shocked how many use processors. What do you do? - 10/21/14 01:08 AM

The guy I use will take the deer whole for 25 bucks extra. I have never done that because caping and quartering the deer has always been an integral part of the hunt to me. But since he is not far I may do that one day if I am in a hurry for some reason.

Unless you are rich, we all work so we can spend our time not working doing the things we enjoy. That is different for everyone. If you enjoy processing I say more power to you. Many folks do. up
Posted By: A.B.

Re: I am shocked how many use processors. What do you do? - 10/21/14 01:24 AM

A little of both, I suppose. We butcher a beeve and two hogs per year. I have mt pleasant meat locker do those and my sisters typically absorb the cost of processing since a supply the animals and all costs associated. Joshua killed 4 deer and Haley killed two last year. We donated 2, which I paid for the processing on those. We had two processed into jerky and sausage. The other two Joshua and I cut up. I find value in both sides. End result was a lot of meat that found its way to other folks.
Posted By: TxDispatcher

Re: I am shocked how many use processors. What do you do? - 10/21/14 04:28 PM

When I moved up here to Bellville, it became more cost effective to have it processed. Dad has the equipment, I don't, and he is 2 1/2-3 hours away. Bellville Meat Market is 15 minutes away. I take it there, and a few days later they have it ready. Now if I could convince dad to give me the equipment, I would go back to doing it myself. I've already got the plans drawn up for a smoke house, just don't want to spend the money for quality equipment and I'm not going to waste money on junk equipment. JMO
Posted By: Jeff McGuire

Re: I am shocked how many use processors. What do you do? - 10/21/14 04:47 PM

I did my first complete process week before last and it was very rewarding! I have another in the cooler today that i will begin working on later this evening. I do plan on taking a portion of the meat to a processor for smoked sausage as I'm not set-up for that.
Posted By: Threelranch

Re: I am shocked how many use processors. What do you do? - 10/21/14 04:56 PM

I have doen mine for years because it easy and i know whats done it ,how it is taken care and also i get all of my meat not someone elses that is not taken care of right.It takes a little money at first to get all your stuff set up but with the prices i have been seeing latley it will not take long for you to re-coop your money.
Posted By: jmh004

Re: I am shocked how many use processors. What do you do? - 10/21/14 05:22 PM

I process my own deer. Just seems like the smart thing to do with wild game.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: I am shocked how many use processors. What do you do? - 10/21/14 06:18 PM

I've done my own since back in the early 60's.
I've been around the meat business 25 years and watched many operations.
There are some good but mostly bad processors out there. Too many people get involved in those operations and that is where you run into problems.
Doing your own is the way to go if you make the time, and it's not that hard once you do it, you'll understand.
Posted By: Erich

Re: I am shocked how many use processors. What do you do? - 10/21/14 06:24 PM

from where it stood happy in the field to where it lays dead on our plate, we take care of all of it ourselves. Time has gotten harder lately, especially since we're cleaning more deer than before too.

we got/skin/quarter/fully debone right there on the ranch. deer are already in freezer paper by time they come home. steaks, soup/stew meat, etc its ready for the table. all meat that we would grind for chili, or mix with a little pork to make hamburger or sausage...just gets packed into gallon frzr bags, and it waits until we get it fully processed in smaller batches after the close of season. we'll do 50lbs of salami, or 100lbs of hamburger, or 100lbs sausage....its easier to work with in smaller batches. spread it over a few weekends.

just de-boning and such...I could never be a verterinarian...but I can take an animal apart pretty fast. the noon hr and evenings in hunting camp are often spend deboning meat.

we own the ranch, so we set up a processing log...never knew you could do that....but aparantly you can. any deer killed....is logged, license# date, all that. log must stay on site for inspection. must have a permanent processing facility of sorts. not a tailgate.

save us from having to take it all home. city garbage collection gets upset when you put too many rib-cages and deer skins in the trash collection.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum