Texas Hunting Forum

Wild morning!!

Posted By: Txslobberknocker

Wild morning!! - 10/18/14 05:47 PM

How do I describe what happened this morning.
Got to my stand in nacogdoches county this morning and immediately had animals stirring. I could hear feral hogs in the pine trees but never laid eyes on them. Around 8:20 a single doe came walking in to my right and I figured she could smell me. She took off and around 8:45, 3 large does came directly under my stand!! Talk about a rush!
They fed to where I could shoot and I drew back, put my sight right on the closest and flat out missed. Good lord are they fast.
I don't think they knew what happened and only jumped a few feet farther away. I get a second arrow on the string and when I went to pull back my bow the dang arrow fell off my banged on what seemed like every stick on the way down the tree. Somehow got a third arrow on the string without them running away or falling out if the stand myself from the shakes, and shoot it. This time it hammers the momma doe. Holy smokes, the most adrenaline rush I've ever felt. I sat down and tried to calm myself, after 20 minutes I was finally able to get my phone out of my pocket and call my wife. It took a while to find the deer as it ran off into a pine tree cut down. The rage broadhead made a nice large hole, which impressed me.

Oh and did I mention this is my first deer??!!! Thanks for all the help guys, I think luck was on my side today.

Re: Wild morning!! - 10/18/14 05:49 PM

For some reason it won't let me put a picture up. Any help?
Posted By: trapperjustin

Re: Wild morning!! - 10/18/14 05:49 PM

Congrats. Now where's the pic?
Posted By: Dave B

Re: Wild morning!! - 10/18/14 06:00 PM

Luck indeed, but congrats. Adrenaline will get you every time. Slow down, take a couple of deep breaths, relax and take the shot.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Wild morning!! - 10/18/14 06:05 PM

Congrats on your first deer!

There is a lot of luck involved, but you will learn with time that you make your own luck. That comes with practice and experience!

Good job!
Posted By: RUM Mann

Re: Wild morning!! - 10/18/14 06:19 PM

Great job on your first deer lets see her
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Wild morning!! - 10/18/14 06:24 PM

Great job, slobberknocker. up

Re: Wild morning!! - 10/18/14 06:29 PM

Re: Wild morning!! - 10/18/14 06:30 PM

Pic I received from txs
Posted By: Wisemd123

Re: Wild morning!! - 10/18/14 06:42 PM

Cool man! Congratulations!
Posted By: kry226

Re: Wild morning!! - 10/18/14 06:44 PM

cheers
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: Wild morning!! - 10/18/14 06:52 PM

Nice! Luck is when preparation meets opportunity. You prepared, had an opportunity, and put your preparation to use despite a few minor "setbacks," yeah, you were lucky! Nice job, enjoy that venison!
Posted By: Seadog

Re: Wild morning!! - 10/18/14 07:00 PM

Congrats on your first deer!!! its definitely a rush when they come out of the woods close to you!!!

Re: Wild morning!! - 10/18/14 07:10 PM

Any ideas or techniques to skin the deer? I have been skinnig it on the ground but the meat gets really dirty before putting it in the cooler. My father in law says to hang them with a rope but I haventt ever done that before.
Thanks guys for the congrats
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Wild morning!! - 10/18/14 08:43 PM

Well done! That's a nice doe.

Next time you go to sporting goods store etc.... Look for a deer hanger that looks like the shape of a coat hanger just heavy steel. It will show you where to cut a slit in each hind leg above the joint. You can run a rope through the hanger, find a good tree limb and hoist it up. Most hangers also come with pulley and rope. Does make the job much cleaner and easier.

Congrats on your first deer. She will be one of the most delicious deer you will ever eat. Just don't over cook it!!!
cheers
Posted By: ETXFIREMAN 1

Re: Wild morning!! - 10/18/14 09:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Congrats on your first deer. She will be one of the most delicious deer you will ever eat. Just don't over cook it!!!
cheers
EXACTLY!!!!!
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Wild morning!! - 10/18/14 09:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Txslobberknocker
Any ideas or techniques to skin the deer? I have been skinnig it on the ground but the meat gets really dirty before putting it in the cooler. My father in law says to hang them with a rope but I haventt ever done that before.

Google how to skin a deer and gut a deer for videos. I also hope you tagged her right away and correctly. Also make sure to fill out the back of your hunting license log info so you and the deer are legal. It is easy to forget to do all that in the excitement.
Congrats cheers
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: Wild morning!! - 10/18/14 10:32 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Originally Posted By: Txslobberknocker

Google how to skin a deer and gut a deer for videos. I also hope you tagged her right away and correctly. Also make sure to fill out the back of your hunting license log info so you and the deer are legal. It is easy to forget to do all that in the excitement.
Congrats cheers

Congrats and a great shot!! Thanks for sharing made me smile up and keep that hair off the meat...Congratulations
Posted By: Chris001

Re: Wild morning!! - 10/19/14 02:46 AM

Congrats!!!
Posted By: dlrz71

Re: Wild morning!! - 10/19/14 03:18 AM

cheers
Posted By: dkershen

Re: Wild morning!! - 10/19/14 03:30 AM

Congrats and welcome to the fraternity of deer hunters!
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Wild morning!! - 10/19/14 05:42 AM

cheers
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Wild morning!! - 10/19/14 05:45 AM

Congrats!!!
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Wild morning!! - 10/19/14 05:47 AM

Originally Posted By: Slow Drifter
Nice! Luck is when preparation meets opportunity. You prepared, had an opportunity, and put your preparation to use despite a few minor "setbacks," yeah, you were lucky! Nice job, enjoy that venison!
Slow drifter, you summed it up nicely.
Posted By: outdoorsmen54

Re: Wild morning!! - 10/29/14 01:41 AM

Anyone heard from Slobberknocker in a while? Been awfully quiet!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum