Texas Hunting Forum

Young County Report

Posted By: DQ Kid

Young County Report - 10/10/14 07:47 PM

Went out this morning and as I suspected, a bit too warm and full moon didn't help. Lots of green still out that way and tons of purple bulbs on the tops of the prickly pear, which I believe the deer like to munch on. Anyhow, quite a bit of corn under the feeders and very few pics on camera of anything, deer/hogs or turkey. Just a month or so ago, I was getting pics of 3-4 deer nightly at each feeder. Do you think the deer are simply munching on nature's groceries and sticking away from the feeders? I sure am hoping for an early hard frost and hard freeze to take out nature's groceries...Happy hunting..
Posted By: SmallTownHunter

Re: Young County Report - 10/10/14 10:34 PM

Its the same way here in Palo Pinto, lots of corn under the feeders and not many pictures. Lots of acorns dropping and I have found a few trees loaded with them that have not dropped many yet so I think it will be a few weeks till they come back to feeders.
Posted By: wisco-hunter

Re: Young County Report - 10/11/14 01:12 AM

I'm seeing most deer on camera at night, I've been out about a dozen times haven't seen much yet

Re: Young County Report - 10/11/14 01:20 AM

Wisco, are you seeing many of those prickly pear bulbs, red or purple depending on ripeness? I've got them all over the place this year.
Posted By: sdunshee

Re: Young County Report - 10/11/14 12:35 PM

Im in between Graham and Throckmorton and getting a lot more doe back on the cameras, not much as far as bucks but im not too worried yet, they'll show....I hope. Turkey pics have fallen off greatly but the pigs are still in full force.
Posted By: Rustler

Re: Young County Report - 10/11/14 02:38 PM

Not pickin on ya DQ but sometimes county threads cover too large of an area to much help.
Until last night around here we haven't had any measurable precipitation since late June / early July.

The deer have been hammering the protein & picking up every kernel of corn all times of day & night all summer.
Sitting here eating a late breakfast after clearing water gaps watching 4 bucks in the feed pen, 2 more bucks & 3 doe outside of it picking up corn.
Had 2 watching me clean one of the water gaps this am from a out 60 yards away.
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Young County Report - 10/11/14 03:49 PM

DQ,

You should have been in the stand this am with the crisp weather.

4W

Re: Young County Report - 10/11/14 04:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Rustler
Not pickin on ya DQ but sometimes county threads cover too large of an area to much help.
Until last night around here we haven't had any measurable precipitation since late June / early July.

The deer have been hammering the protein & picking up every kernel of corn all times of day & night all summer.
Sitting here eating a late breakfast after clearing water gaps watching 4 bucks in the feed pen, 2 more bucks & 3 doe outside of it picking up corn.
Had 2 watching me clean one of the water gaps this am from a out 60 yards away.

I hear ya, send some of those my way, lol!

Re: Young County Report - 10/12/14 05:50 AM

Yeah lots of pears out, and deer seem more nocturnal this year. Maybe too hot out still
Posted By: samsamthemex

Re: Young County Report - 10/12/14 07:15 PM

i have only had a few doe on camera, but hae been having alot of turkey laely! either way i will be hunting hard in young!!
Posted By: udamdan

Re: Young County Report - 10/12/14 08:12 PM

Originally Posted By: sdunshee
Im in between Graham and Throckmorton and getting a lot more doe back on the cameras, not much as far as bucks but im not too worried yet, they'll show....I hope. Turkey pics have fallen off greatly but the pigs are still in full force.

Same here as I'm near Olney and had bucks up till last week on camera, now just does . They were hitting the protein hard also till then . With the cooler weather they will be back I'm sure of it.

Posted By: Hartca

Re: Young County Report - 10/13/14 12:58 PM

I hunt in Jean and I am having Bucks and does on camera daily but they are all still nocturnal. have not seen a turkey one, but the Hogs are in full force as we trapped 10 this passed weekend.
Posted By: Junebug

Re: Young County Report - 10/13/14 02:26 PM

I swear, I belive I must hunt the worst piece of land in young county. We have very few deer and all our hogs have decided they dont like are place anymore. The few deer we do have and all very young bucks, and have only seen 2 or 3 different does. Every time I read a post about young county makes me sick, I need a new lease
Posted By: bowhunterTX

Re: Young County Report - 10/13/14 09:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Junebug
I swear, I belive I must hunt the worst piece of land in young county. We have very few deer and all our hogs have decided they dont like are place anymore. The few deer we do have and all very young bucks, and have only seen 2 or 3 different does. Every time I read a post about young county makes me sick, I need a new lease

Where in Young County are you? Is there a lot of human activity on your lease and surrounding properties?

Re: Young County Report - 10/13/14 09:48 PM

Yeah, the place I had used to not be that good but we have banned human activity from August to January except from hours of 11 to 2 midday to fill feeders and check cams. Also the ar's really helped out a lot. Now it's a pretty prime place.
Posted By: texasbowhunter321

Re: Young County Report - 10/13/14 10:14 PM

The problem I had with my old Young County lease was hunting pressure from the other lease holders (brother, cousin, once removed, etc) and adjacent properties. Loosing that lease was the best thing. Now I'm able to focus on more productive hunting oppurtunities.
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Young County Report - 10/13/14 10:40 PM

Originally Posted By: texasbowhunter321
The problem I had with my old Young County lease was hunting pressure from the other lease holders (brother, cousin, once removed, etc) and adjacent properties. Loosing that lease was the best thing. Now I'm able to focus on more productive hunting oppurtunities.

Would be interested to know what county your place is in now. Thanks.

Re: Young County Report - 10/13/14 11:27 PM

I am just south of graham towards the lake. There are only 5 hunters and all are bow hunters but one. No one drives around, when you get out if the stand we go to camp and stay there. Our property is on the highest spot for miles around, and I am certain the deer do not live on our property. The property's around us don't lease there land for hunting. I spoke with the guys that where on the lease before we got on it and they said the deer where in small numbers. We where just so excited because we found a lease we didn't care, they're just so hard to find you can't be to picky.

Re: Young County Report - 10/14/14 10:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Junebug
I am just south of graham towards the lake. There are only 5 hunters and all are bow hunters but one. No one drives around, when you get out if the stand we go to camp and stay there. Our property is on the highest spot for miles around, and I am certain the deer do not live on our property. The property's around us don't lease there land for hunting. I spoke with the guys that where on the lease before we got on it and they said the deer where in small numbers. We where just so excited because we found a lease we didn't care, they're just so hard to find you can't be to picky.

My question is, are your feeder's running year round ?

Re: Young County Report - 10/15/14 01:19 AM

Yep, there are 10 feeders on the place that feed golden nuggets year round.
The last two years have been very dry, we have 10 deep ponds on the place and only two of them are still holding water.
I hunt near one and the other is un hunt-able.
Posted By: Aggie Angler 99

Re: Young County Report - 10/20/14 02:11 PM

Any updates on this post? We (dad & I) hunt near Jean and it's been slim pickins for years. Dad is really into hunting deer, but I enjoy seeing my boys learn about being outdoors... dove hunting, fishing, etc. We usually dove hunt the first two weekends and then stay away. We're checking cams today.

Re: Young County Report - 10/21/14 12:19 AM

I'll have some pics this weekend
Posted By: My stand is pink camo

Re: Young County Report - 10/21/14 01:43 PM

I have never hunted Young County but I was there a few days last week so I sat in a stand for the fun of it. I saw 7 doe at one time come to the feeder Thursday evening, and 6 doe Friday morning. Nice! I did notice deer and hog tracks at their feeders. I might go back this weekend and if I see anything I will post it.
Here's a pic of a buck that was taken off that ranch a few years ago

Re: Young County Report - 10/21/14 03:52 PM

Aggie angler where do you hunt I hunt the same area.
Posted By: Aggie Angler 99

Re: Young County Report - 10/24/14 05:24 PM

Just east of Jean, south of 114. You?

Re: Young County Report - 10/24/14 08:01 PM

I am 12 miles from Graham in the middle of Graham and Jean. Off of 1769.
Posted By: sdunshee

Re: Young County Report - 10/26/14 02:24 AM

My doe #'s on the camera have doubled if not tripled from the beginning of the month
Posted By: Texasrebel649

Re: Young County Report - 10/27/14 12:51 AM

Anyone heard anything about deer activity in the area around Loving. I was able to join up on a small tract there. Only two of us hunting on the property and the property hasn't been hunted in twelve years. This is a secondary lease for me. I usually hunt the panhandle. The landowner really couldn't give us any info on the deer activity on the property. Seen lots of tracks and other signs of deer on the property. Just wandering if anyone could shed some light my way. Thanks

Re: Young County Report - 10/27/14 01:21 AM

Rebel, I'm not far from you in Murray. Haven't been out in 2 weeks but my ranch neighbor has told me the corn continues to collect under the feeders, lots of acorns dropping under the oaks is what he said. We really need some cold, rainy weather to rot those things out.
Posted By: Texasrebel649

Re: Young County Report - 10/27/14 01:27 AM

Thx DQ. yeah there was definitely a lot of acorns on the ground. I set a feeder out this week and going to stop by there tomorrow on my way to other property and set a some camera's out. Im hoping for some good deer since it hasnt been hunted for a long while. Guess I will soon find out.

Re: Young County Report - 10/27/14 01:28 AM

Originally Posted By: Texasrebel649
Thx DQ. yeah there was definitely a lot of acorns on the ground. I set a feeder out this week and going to stop by there tomorrow on my way to other property and set a some camera's out. Im hoping for some good deer since it hasnt been hunted for a long while. Guess I will soon find out.

Yeah, in your situation could be just what the deer are looking for.

Re: Young County Report - 10/27/14 01:30 AM

3.5-4.0, 115-118 or so..
Posted By: huntingbig8

Re: Young County Report - 10/27/14 05:05 AM

Anything south of Graham is going to have low deer count numbers and doesn't have great habitat, if you're hunting young cty, the west side is best. Some places east and north of town are pretty good, with a few scattered pockets that annually produce good deer
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum