Texas Hunting Forum

Turnips

Posted By: Damon69

Turnips - 10/07/14 04:54 PM

Anyone ever planted turnips for a food plot? I planted 4 plots on sunday and got an 1 1/2" of rain yesterday. I hope the deer like them.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Turnips - 10/07/14 04:56 PM

I usually put them in for a change of flavor but not as a full plot.. prolly 1 bag per 5 of oats. should be interesting.

Re: Turnips - 10/07/14 04:56 PM

they will really like them once it gets cold enough
Posted By: Schpanky

Re: Turnips - 10/07/14 04:59 PM

yes....and after the pigs were done, it looked like somebody carpet bombed the place.

Re: Turnips - 10/07/14 05:15 PM

Free discing service for next year

Re: Turnips - 10/07/14 05:16 PM

Did you drill the turnips? They don't like growing when they are bunched up
Posted By: PMK

Re: Turnips - 10/07/14 05:22 PM

yep, I used to make various strips of different seeds to test what was getting hit most. Turnips were pretty good, black eyed peas were the best.
Posted By: Bbear

Re: Turnips - 10/07/14 06:30 PM

I had pretty good results when I lived in the midwest. Deer left them alone until the first good freeze/frost then they dug them out of the ground.
Posted By: Damon69

Re: Turnips - 10/07/14 06:43 PM

Sounds promising. Thanks for the feed back.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Turnips - 10/08/14 02:41 AM

I used to plant with a drill 100# of oats, (10# of madrid clover and 3# of purple tops out of small seed box) per acre and prayed for good rains. Deer did not eat Purple Tops the first year or so till we had a really good frost. The last year on that ranch I planted 20# of Madrid Clover and 6# of Purple Tops per acre with a grain drill. By this stage of planting them deer did not wait for a freeze and ate the tops then after a freeze at tops and bulbs. 6# of Purple Tops is a lot of turnips.
Posted By: jdickey

Re: Turnips - 10/08/14 02:47 AM

Turnips ae one of the best plot foods there are! I hunted in Illinois two years in a row, and turnips were the main plot attractant with them becoming the size of grapefruit! You'd hear the deer come in in the dark, chomping on the greens, then taking a bite of turnips.....all you could hear was the crunch, crunch, crunch!

Plant some peas too, then you'll have a good winter meal yourself!
© 2019 Texas Hunting Forum