Texas Hunting Forum

Cottonseed: Feed year-round, or not?

Posted By: spibiggie

Cottonseed: Feed year-round, or not? - 10/03/14 05:47 PM

I hear different things. I know a lot of big ranches stop feeding around August, but some feed year-round. Some studies have shown sterilization to be an issue, while others have shown that it doesn't affect whitetails. But to counter that, I read that it's bad to disrupt the deers digestive system, And you shouldn't pull something from their diet and continually re-introduce it.

So we are in the debate at our ranch. It's time to refill the cottonseed feeders, but do we hold off until January, or go ahead and fill the feeders and keep them full year round.

I'm curious what your input is from those of y'all that feed cottonseed and/or are familiar with it.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Cottonseed: Feed year-round, or not? - 10/03/14 06:02 PM

I don't know about the sterilization, all I can say is I have read about it.

I don't place any faith in the its bad to yank something from their diet. Their diet changes all the time, acorns, persimmons, mesquite beans, forbs, spring fresh growth are not there year round. I would guess there isn't a lot that makes up a deers diet that is constant year round.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Cottonseed: Feed year-round, or not? - 10/03/14 06:08 PM

fill it as long as they are eating it I guess. I got a couple tons coming in and I'll store it until december. It will be the first year we keep it going.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Cottonseed: Feed year-round, or not? - 10/03/14 07:57 PM

Google Whole Cottonseed for whitetails and gossypol. Most I know of feed it till Sept then stop till after the season is over then start again.
Posted By: BlakeJ

Re: Cottonseed: Feed year-round, or not? - 10/03/14 10:45 PM

Isn't cottonseed almost as expensive as feeding protein?
Posted By: charrisonLSON

Re: Cottonseed: Feed year-round, or not? - 10/03/14 10:56 PM

Our deer seem to take it or leave it. Some areas of the ranch, they hammer it, others they don't touch it. But don't buy the garbage that hogs won't eat it- they do. We put it out in the summer and it usually runs out early fall.
Posted By: Cow_doc.308

Re: Cottonseed: Feed year-round, or not? - 10/04/14 01:16 AM

I've never fed it to deer but know a little about it. Gossypol is definitely a toxin that is present in cottonseed. Toxic doses can cause decreased fertility in males and heart failure at really high levels.

Ruminants can handle the toxin in low amounts. Recommended feeding amount for mature cattle is about 0.5% of body weight (5 lbs/day for 1000 pound cow.) Not sure how that transfer to deer. Somebody probably knows more than me.

Pigs are much more susceptible to gossypol since they are simple stomached animals. They are much more likely to have fertility issues and heart issues. I don't know what the toxic dose is for pigs though.

Doesn't really help with your question but some info none the less.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum