Texas Hunting Forum

facepaint vs mask

Posted By: Arrowslinger82

facepaint vs mask - 10/02/14 02:59 AM

ok so i don't like the masks because i feel constricted and can't breathe well with them. i like face paint for a number of reasons, gets me in the mindset, works great in a popup when you are on their level and you have a bright white face that sticks out, works well in a tree same reason, i recently started using "carbo mask" i found some reviews online. it does what it says it will, washes off super easy. my big thing about it though, is you need to really apply like 2-3 separate times so that each layer dries otherwise it looks like you just got off an all night shift at the coal mine. what do y'all use? and don't say walmart halloween face paint, that stuff smells like a drunk clown.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: facepaint vs mask - 10/02/14 03:05 AM

Thin Neck gaiter I pull up and down
Posted By: RChipman11

Re: facepaint vs mask - 10/02/14 03:07 AM

Dead down wind face paint
Posted By: SmallTownHunter

Re: facepaint vs mask - 10/02/14 03:10 AM

I just wear a mask because I hunt about 5-6 days out of the week during deer season and scrubbing that stuff off your face gets old if you have to do it everyday....
Posted By: dkershen

Re: facepaint vs mask - 10/02/14 03:12 AM

Originally Posted By: SmallTownHunter
I just wear a mask because I hunt about 5-6 days out of the week during deer season and scrubbing that stuff off your face gets old if you have to do it everyday....

Same here....
Posted By: Cow_doc.308

Re: facepaint vs mask - 10/02/14 03:16 AM

I have a fleece "balaclava" that I bought years ago. pull it up or down depending on how cold it is. seems to work great.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: facepaint vs mask - 10/02/14 03:17 AM

I prefer a face mask especially if skeeters/gnats are bad.
Posted By: B Razorback

Re: facepaint vs mask - 10/02/14 03:18 AM

When it is hot I usually wear face paint, but when it gets chilly, I wear my wool face mask. Works like a charm
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: facepaint vs mask - 10/02/14 04:07 AM

I use a mask, also helps with bugs. Girls can put the make-up on. grin
Posted By: DuckCoach1985

Re: facepaint vs mask - 10/02/14 05:34 PM

Go to the team sports section of wal mart and clean out their eye black rack. They're $2 a pop vs. $6-8 for the 'hunting' stuff. No scent, washes off easy, and did I mention CHEAP?

You can also steal the wife's wine corks and burn the end.. just make sure they're the real thing and not those new plastic corks.

When the temps drop below freezing... fleece balaclava all the way
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: facepaint vs mask - 10/02/14 05:41 PM

I like a mask.
Posted By: Seadog

Re: facepaint vs mask - 10/02/14 06:23 PM

Originally Posted By: dkershen

Same here....

Me also!!! I work 5 weeks on/5 weeks off schedule and live 25mi from lease so during deer season, I hunt a lot!!!
Posted By: kry226

Re: facepaint vs mask - 10/02/14 07:35 PM

Originally Posted By: dkershen

Same here....

Me too. Wore the face paint for years in the Army and hated it.
Posted By: Antler Addicts

Re: facepaint vs mask - 10/03/14 06:13 AM

I do both and use dead down wind. Depends on how the temperature is. Hot weather I put the man make-up on.
Posted By: EddieWalker

Re: facepaint vs mask - 10/03/14 01:30 PM

Every person I've ever seen with face paint, is still pretty easy to see. I've been hunting with friends who where wearing full head nets that cover your entire face and didn't see them at first glance and had to stop and look where I knew they where supposed to be. The difference in night and day.

If I don't want to bee seen, I wear a net over my head

Eddie
Posted By: RUM Mann

Re: facepaint vs mask - 10/03/14 11:30 PM

A beard
Posted By: Kopfjager Industries

Re: facepaint vs mask - 10/04/14 12:56 AM

I prefer mask or balaclava. Breaks your outline up as well.
Posted By: Fishuhalik

Re: facepaint vs mask - 10/04/14 04:38 PM

If its sunny I use paint so I can get full coverage. The sun makes any showing skin shine, so I cover my face in it. If its overcast, I'll use a mask.
Posted By: Western

Re: facepaint vs mask - 10/04/14 04:46 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
I prefer a face mask especially if skeeters/gnats are bad.

Used the paint in 79-and maybe to 82?, got tired of the clean-up, so go without, or wear a mask. I am told the FP is much better now in the wipe off department, till prefer not to mess with it. Plus I wear glasses, so have to clean them some of the time as well, PITA for me.

I will occasionally use some on the top of my hands and fingers if it's to warm for a light glove., but that is rare and usually only for Turkey hunting.
Posted By: Dave Scott

Re: facepaint vs mask - 10/04/14 06:43 PM

I'm dating myself. Still use burnt cork.
Posted By: FoxTrot

Re: facepaint vs mask - 10/05/14 01:49 AM

I use both. Just depends on my mood and the weather. Im growing my beard out for the first time this year too

I use the HS camo compact
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: facepaint vs mask - 10/05/14 01:52 AM

Mask, one that is about 20 years old, it has had it's better days, but it still works.
Posted By: Brandon82

Re: facepaint vs mask - 10/05/14 03:02 AM

I prefer a mask
Posted By: crapicat

Re: facepaint vs mask - 10/05/14 03:10 AM

I use mud from a creek or tank...its cheap, smells right, and washes right off. If you don't like my option, you can also burn a wine cork (real cork only) and rub the cooled blacking on your face/neck/hands.

I grow a beard, then mask around it with mud...works really well.

Don't care for the masks, some do, but I don't...the various one's I've tried tend to fog up bins and scopes.
Posted By: DocJatTTU

Re: facepaint vs mask - 10/05/14 05:02 AM

Dont buy the crap "war paint" from academy. Its yet another "duck commander" product. These guys are putting their logo on some garbage products. I bought some on a whim and its the worst camo paint ive ever used.
Posted By: Walkabout

Re: facepaint vs mask - 10/05/14 11:43 AM

I use old cotton camo T shirts that I cut up and modify. The neck opening over the top of your head with several slits for vents and vision. Cut up with strips you tie around the back of your neck. Some have several strips kind of like a ghihli cover. Very light and comfortable. If it doesn't fit right use it to wipe down your rifle and start over. I have several I keep in the back pack, bow case, rifle case hell they're everywhere.
Posted By: Stevezx20

Re: facepaint vs mask - 10/05/14 12:45 PM

mask works best for me
Posted By: mikey1313

Re: facepaint vs mask - 10/05/14 12:50 PM

Originally Posted By: RUM Mann
A beard

This
Posted By: fishingWOT

Re: facepaint vs mask - 10/06/14 03:27 PM

Interesting convo, I've been using a mask but I wear glasses and either have to go without glasses, which I dont like or slide the mask down under my nose (due to fog). May have to make the switch to paint till I get contacts, just know its no fun to get that stuff off.
Posted By: Dave Scott

Re: facepaint vs mask - 10/06/14 07:50 PM

Are you as tired of the duck commanders as I am.
Posted By: WTGuide

Re: facepaint vs mask - 10/06/14 08:06 PM

neither
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum