Texas Hunting Forum

Anyone's food plots growing yet?

Posted By: gunnut81

Anyone's food plots growing yet? - 10/01/14 03:31 AM

I'm getting frustrated with this darn drought I planted my plots in late August just like every year I planted oats and some Red Zone which is a mix of peas and soybean and every year until this year my plots are grown and doing well before bow season but not this year in fact the weeds are already coming back but not a single sprout yet, every time we have had rain in the forecast it has just drizzled or sprinkled in Hood County. Is anyone else in this area had any luck.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Anyone's food plots growing yet? - 10/01/14 09:44 AM

I am in the same boat. Planted oats and winter peas in mid Sept after I had just over and inch of rain. Now only a couple of small showers on top of it. It is up in spots where there was more soil moisture and more is coming up after the small showers this past weekend. I hope to get some rain this week.
Posted By: Drop Tine

Re: Anyone's food plots growing yet? - 10/01/14 10:11 AM

We planted 77 acres of winter wheat and 2 small food plots with a mix of oats, austrian winter peas, turnips......still nothing growing as of last weekend.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Anyone's food plots growing yet? - 10/01/14 10:33 AM

I'm in the same boat guys. I thought it was going to be too wet to plant this year, and even had to wait after a three-inch rain to get seeds in the ground. And once I did a couple of weeks ago, there has been zero rain. And on top of that, the hogs scratched up most if not all my winter peas. Hopefully, the oats will come up should they ever get rain, as well as the turnips and collards.
Posted By: Shotgun Willie

Re: Anyone's food plots growing yet? - 10/01/14 08:05 PM

Hate to say it, but mine are. Planted the weekend after a three inch rain, right before a week of rain that deposited another inch, broken up over a couple of days. Went out last weekend and the wheat and oats were up a couple inches already. Of course, it hasn't rained since...

All with the help of a few guys from this forum that took the time to answer some of my questions.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Anyone's food plots growing yet? - 10/01/14 08:23 PM

My plot has really taken off this year!

Posted By: RossCravens

Re: Anyone's food plots growing yet? - 10/01/14 08:25 PM

scratch
Posted By: TooLow

Re: Anyone's food plots growing yet? - 10/01/14 08:26 PM

Good one the UB! Headed to the ranch this weekend so hopefully the fields we planted have started growing.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Anyone's food plots growing yet? - 10/01/14 08:27 PM

roflmao
Posted By: Kenneth1977

Re: Anyone's food plots growing yet? - 10/01/14 08:29 PM

Yep
Posted By: Dave B

Re: Anyone's food plots growing yet? - 10/01/14 08:30 PM

That is too dadgum funny bubba. roflmao
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Anyone's food plots growing yet? - 10/01/14 09:02 PM

Stoned deer are easier to shoot. lol35
Posted By: Western

Re: Anyone's food plots growing yet? - 10/01/14 09:13 PM

I had a few germinate from a light rain (.03), then dry for 3 weeks. So dry, the red ants that where stealing the seed, are bring'm back! LOL
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Anyone's food plots growing yet? - 10/01/14 09:20 PM

just got mine planted this Monday, so no growth yet. Need some rain, and I am hoping it dumps a little tomorrow on the plots. The whole darn state needs the wet stuff though, so I do't want to steal it all for my acre and a half flag
Posted By: gunnut81

Re: Anyone's food plots growing yet? - 10/03/14 02:58 AM

Well it happened again it looked promising but the rain split and went around us like usual got enough to barely settle the dust. Man this is frustrating!

Re: Anyone's food plots growing yet? - 10/03/14 03:28 AM

Originally Posted By: gunnut81
Well it happened again it looked promising but the rain split and went around us like usual got enough to barely settle the dust. Man this is frustrating!

Same here, looked and smelled good, only got .03
Posted By: RedSnake

Re: Anyone's food plots growing yet? - 10/03/14 03:40 AM

Got my seed in the ground an hour before the storms rolled thru. Expecting to see a nice carpet of green in the coming weeks!
Posted By: DesertDog

Re: Anyone's food plots growing yet? - 10/04/14 02:01 AM

I put a bag of the Turner Seed wildlife mix and a bag of the no till clover stuff over a couple of plots at my place on 8-31 just before a .7 inch rain that evening. Fertilized, tilled and dragged all as recommended. Then I went back two weeks later and both plots looked like a desert. Maybe they ate everything before it could get established. I just don't know... confused2
Posted By: DesertDog

Re: Anyone's food plots growing yet? - 10/04/14 02:03 AM

Oh yeah, and I am pretty sure we got 0.0 rain in the two weeks after the initial rain at planting.

Re: Anyone's food plots growing yet? - 10/04/14 02:35 AM

The clovers usually take more time and you should expect, same with alfalfa if it is in that mix. They will do most of their best growing next spring.

You should have had some wheat and oats germinate. I planted and got .30 and had a small margin of germination, but only in the low spots that held the most moisture. It is so dry, it will take a couple successive rains to really get things on a roll IMO. Driest Sept on record. We need moisture that will sit in the ground a few days.

I still have some growth out of some that sprouted, but those are fading fast.
Posted By: dkite

Re: Anyone's food plots growing yet? - 10/04/14 03:32 AM

nice hunting camp
Posted By: Pittstate

Re: Anyone's food plots growing yet? - 10/04/14 04:40 AM

Alfalfa/clover plots are looking great (we just mowed them 2 weeks ago). Wheat/Oat/Turnip plots that were planted 2 weeks ago are just now coming up (we got .27" rain 2 days ago). Forecast is calling for rain mid next week....hoping for .5" of rain each week for the rest of my life, lol
Posted By: Pittstate

Re: Anyone's food plots growing yet? - 10/04/14 04:41 AM

Missouri plots are like a rain forest....we get about 40" of ave rain fall a year there and plots do very well. FIL just bought a tractor so he can start mowing them every few weeks to keep the growth tender for the deer.
Posted By: crapicat

Re: Anyone's food plots growing yet? - 10/04/14 11:36 AM

Originally Posted By: gunnut81
Getting so tired of the rains splitting and going north/south of us...usually this time of year I have wheat/oats up boot top high...not this year...seeds are waiting on a good rain though.

hey OP, that bunch of seeds you planted should be good later in the year, so don't get discouraged...just pray for rain and put an extra $20 in the offering plate!!
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Anyone's food plots growing yet? - 10/04/14 01:51 PM

Checked mine after the morning hunt and looks like the 2 small shower I had on Sat and then Thurs have gotten more oats sprouted. Just need a good soaking rain to get some deep moisture. I am in the same boat with rains splitting or falling apart before they get here on my place.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum