Texas Hunting Forum

Be safe out there!!! Buddy had accident

Posted By: John Humbert

Be safe out there!!! Buddy had accident - 09/29/14 06:11 PM

Just a reminder to be safe out there. My fishing buddy, Pat, decided to move his tripod this weekend to a better spot where he was seeing deer moving. He was too anxious to hunt didn't secure it properly, and it fell over yesterday morning as he was settling in.

Now he's in the hospital with 3 broken ribs and punctured lung.

Hearing other reports of accidents this weekend - BE SAFE FIRST!!! Way too many bowhunting/treestand accidents this weekend.
Posted By: dgilbert

Re: Be safe out there!!! Buddy had accident - 09/29/14 06:28 PM

Sorry to hear John, pray for speedy recovery.
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: Be safe out there!!! Buddy had accident - 09/29/14 07:29 PM

Hate to hear this...Not fun trust me, hope he heals quick
Posted By: John Humbert

Re: Be safe out there!!! Buddy had accident - 09/29/14 07:31 PM

He'll be fine. Just a dumbass mistake. The story I got is that he and another friend moved the stand and put in on some soft "sugar sand" next to some tree. They knew it wasn't stable, but were going to come back later that afternoon and secure it. Then they got busy, and he decided to "chance it" the next morning, knowing it wasn't stable.
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Be safe out there!!! Buddy had accident - 09/29/14 08:08 PM

I fell out of a 16' tripod about 15 years ago just as I got to the top, one of the legs (the one I was climbing) came off and down we went, landed on my back in rocks and cactus. I limped around for a couple of months from that one. My wife picked cactus needles out of my back for two weeks. Had a few "other issues" from that fall too that I won't say on here (T.M.I.)
Lets just say I probably should have went to see a doctor. Hope your buddy is ok.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Be safe out there!!! Buddy had accident - 09/29/14 08:20 PM

Ouch! Prayers up! If it's not tied to a tree or has 4 legs, I don't climb it anymore.
Posted By: JThoele

Re: Be safe out there!!! Buddy had accident - 09/29/14 08:41 PM

Originally Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN
Had a few "other issues" from that fall too that I won't say on here (T.M.I.)
Lets just say I probably should have went to see a doctor.

Was he able to sew it back on or did you have to go the route of a prosthetic??
Posted By: Ramsey

Re: Be safe out there!!! Buddy had accident - 09/29/14 08:50 PM

Careful is a good reminder thanks
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Be safe out there!!! Buddy had accident - 09/29/14 09:02 PM

Originally Posted By: JThoele
Had a few "other issues" from that fall too that I won't say on here (T.M.I.)
Lets just say I probably should have went to see a doctor.

Was he able to sew it back on or did you have to go the route of a prosthetic??

If it had been that, I would have definitely went with prosthetic. Or maybe a transplant from a Brahma bull. rofl
Posted By: Auctioneer1

Re: Be safe out there!!! Buddy had accident - 09/30/14 12:37 AM

That's why I hunt out of a double bull blind. Deer walk right past me every year no problems at all if you brush it in.
Posted By: hoof n wings

Re: Be safe out there!!! Buddy had accident - 09/30/14 12:48 AM

Hopefully your buddy won't miss the rest of the season
Quote:
That's why I hunt out of a 12 foot tripod. Deer walk right past me every year no problems at all as long as it's anchored down and I don't have to brush it in.
Posted By: hoof n wings

Re: Be safe out there!!! Buddy had accident - 09/30/14 12:49 AM

Can you go from a viennie snausage to Brahma bull? confused2

If it had been that, I would have definitely went with prosthetic. Or maybe a transplant from a Brahma bull. rofl
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Be safe out there!!! Buddy had accident - 09/30/14 12:50 AM

Hate to hear that. Hope he has a speedy recovery. I had a tripod tip over with me getting out one morning. Luckly it was a short tripod of only 6'.
Posted By: kry226

Re: Be safe out there!!! Buddy had accident - 09/30/14 01:47 AM

frown Hope he gets well soon.
Posted By: trjscout

Re: Be safe out there!!! Buddy had accident - 09/30/14 12:07 PM

the older I get the more I hate tripods harder to bounce back nowadays
Posted By: cameron00

Re: Be safe out there!!! Buddy had accident - 09/30/14 12:41 PM

I like those "quad pods" Academy has. Feel much, much more stable than tripods, though they're definitely not as easy to move once they're set.
Posted By: BayouGuy

Re: Be safe out there!!! Buddy had accident - 09/30/14 06:29 PM

I'm all for safety and comfort.

Posted By: yeahbuddy

Re: Be safe out there!!! Buddy had accident - 09/30/14 07:14 PM

I thought I was going to be one of these folks this morning on the public land. Someone unscrewed some of my tree steps so they could use a climber to hunt my tree. Lets just say The way up was hard and the way down was scary! Hope your buddy heals quick, thanks for the reminder
Posted By: passthru

Re: Be safe out there!!! Buddy had accident - 09/30/14 10:11 PM

Originally Posted By: yeahbuddy
I thought I was going to be one of these folks this morning on the public land. Someone unscrewed some of my tree steps so they could use a climber to hunt my tree. Lets just say The way up was hard and the way down was scary! Hope your buddy heals quick, thanks for the reminder

I would wait on that yahoo.
Posted By: Big_Ag

Re: Be safe out there!!! Buddy had accident - 09/30/14 10:59 PM

Hope your buddy is OK. Those things can be super dangerous and are not idiot proof as I can attest. I have had two tripod accidents and really am scared of them now. In the first one, the guy who put it up did not bolt the legs to the top properly and the ladder came out as I was near the top. As I fell back a part of it fell and hit me in the mouth. Chipped and re-arranged a bunch of teeth and gave me a big manly scar across the chin. 13 crowns and a year of braces later, I looked better than before.

Second one was not as dramatic, but I fell straight back and hit the back of my head on the ground like a basketball. I had amnesia for about an hour apparently as my buddies took me back to the cabin and said I was alert and talking, but the next thing I remembered after the "Oh crap" feeling when falling was coming out of the amnesia sitting in a chair back at the hunting cabin. Surprisingly, I had no headache. I was lucky that both times I had accidents, there was someone there. Needless to say, I don't like getting in those suckers anymore.
Posted By: yeahbuddy

Re: Be safe out there!!! Buddy had accident - 10/01/14 08:46 PM

Originally Posted By: passthru
Originally Posted By: yeahbuddy

I would wait on that yahoo.

You know I have thought about it. I cant decide if I really want to confront them, I might do something I regret. I could put some petroleum jelly on the back side of the tree and see how his climber likes that, haha
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum