Texas Hunting Forum

Age of this guy?

Posted By: Cow_doc.308

Age of this guy? - 09/26/14 11:01 PM

I'm real late getting my camera and feeder up and running this year. Had my camera running for week and couldn't help myself from going to get my card. This is the only buck I've got a shot of. Looks young to me but thought I'd go ahead and put him up for some expert opinions.

Age? width?

Re: Age of this guy? - 09/26/14 11:03 PM

one more of him
Posted By: RossCravens

Re: Age of this guy? - 09/26/14 11:08 PM

I'd guess 4.5-5.5. Nice buck

Just a tip, you should rotate your camera a little so it is facing due north or south. Your pictures will come out much better without the rising or setting sun. It took me about three or four attempts to get mine positioned without any sun glare.

cheers

Re: Age of this guy? - 09/26/14 11:11 PM

Yea I noticed that. I need to move it some but its going to require driving a post to get it where it needs to be. as it is it gets glare for a couple hours in the morning then its ok.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Age of this guy? - 09/26/14 11:14 PM

Nice buck. I would call him middle-aged from those pics.

Re: Age of this guy? - 09/26/14 11:25 PM

stx,

What makes you think middle aged? Not questioning you I'm just trying learn what to look for. And by middle age do you mean like 4-5?
Posted By: JMalin

Re: Age of this guy? - 09/26/14 11:31 PM

Middle aged is generally considered to be 3.5-4.5
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Age of this guy? - 09/26/14 11:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Cow_doc.308
stx,

What makes you think middle aged? Not questioning you I'm just trying learn what to look for. And by middle age do you mean like 4-5?

To me he is tall and lanky still with some muscling in the shoulder/neck area. Brisket from a side view is still at or above the elbow joint on his front leg. He is fat and appears to have a belly making him appear older than I think he is in those pics. I think he will trim down when the rut gets closer. His head shape is not like I would think a mature buck would be either. Middle-age is 3 or 4 yrs old to me. I think he is probably a 4 yr old IMO. I have been wrong before though grin
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Age of this guy? - 09/27/14 03:02 AM

3 to 4 leaning toward 4 since the one pic showing the hock it is darker than I would expect on a 3 year old this time of the year.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Age of this guy? - 09/27/14 05:09 AM

3.5, maybe 4.5 given the gut.
Posted By: KCH

Re: Age of this guy? - 09/27/14 11:54 AM

Based on the pics I would say 4.5...his belly is getting big...as far as width I would guess high teen's...is he an Ellis county deer?
I'm real late getting my camera and feeder up and running this year. Had my camera running for week and couldn't help myself from going to get my card. This is the only buck I've got a shot of. Looks young to me but thought I'd go ahead and put him up for some expert opinions.

Age? width?

Age? width?

Age? width?
one more of him
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Age of this guy? - 09/27/14 12:13 PM

Missed the width question. 15.5-16"

Re: Age of this guy? - 09/27/14 01:32 PM

No. Not in Ellis county
Posted By: JDGambino

Re: Age of this guy? - 10/03/14 01:31 PM

Posted By: Pitchfork Predator