Texas Hunting Forum

Would you

Posted By: SapperTitan

Would you - 09/25/14 12:38 PM

Ok so I can only hunt sunday and I have the option to hunt morning or evening. Ive had a couple descent bucks show up both morning and evening but most late at night. The cool weather sunday morning makes it very enticing to sit the morning but I've seen a few more bucks in the evening. If I go morning it would prob be until about 1000 but if I go evening I'm thinking 3-last shooting light. Right now I'm leaning to the evening hunt.Hunting all day or morn and evening are not an option. What would you do?
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Would you - 09/25/14 12:43 PM

As much as I hate tracking a deer at night and then all that goes with taking care of a kill after dark, I would go for the evening hunt. My thoughts are I would stand a better chance of getting into my hunting area without spooking game in the evening. If I spook deer in the mornings going to my blind now I don't think they would return. I can get into the blind earlier in the evenings allowing the deer to move around like normal. If it were later in the season I would vote for mornings in my area since I see way more mature deer in the mornings here.
Posted By: Kenneth1977

Re: Would you - 09/25/14 12:45 PM

Simple .....set all day !

Thanks stx I actually forgot to add that part. A lot of my deer pics are at around the time I would want to walk into my blind and would prob spook them.

Originally Posted By: Kenneth1977
Simple .....set all day !
I mentioned twice in my post that is not an option.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Would you - 09/25/14 12:48 PM

Do you have to work Monday? grin

Re: Would you - 09/25/14 12:50 PM

For me right now my mornings are much better for seeing the mature deer than evenings. They are hitting my feeders around 7 to 7:20 in the morning after daylight and around 8:30 to 10 in the evenings after dark. I know if I spook them in the mornings I am not going to see them after daylight. I have a window to get into a blind from 4 to 6:30 when there are not many deer at the feeders right now. I am lucky in that I have been going out and feeding roads almost every morning before daylight for the last month, so the deer are used to my traffic. The mature deer are not as tolerant though as younger bucks and does are still.

Re: Would you - 09/25/14 12:51 PM

Yes work monday. Thats one of the other reasons why morning hunt sunday sounds nice LOL. Im willing to suffer a little monday morning if I am successful sunday evening.

Re: Would you - 09/25/14 12:56 PM

This is the buck I think I have the best chance at. He has been on cam more than the others and on public (Ft Hood) I think it would be a true trophy for me. Think I'm gonna go evening and of coarse ill check the camera and have bucks their in the morning LOL.

Re: Would you - 09/25/14 12:59 PM

That is why they call it hunting. Don't try to over think it, just go out and enjoy the hunt. up

Re: Would you - 09/25/14 01:03 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
That is why they call it hunting. Don't try to over think it, just go out and enjoy the hunt. up
I can't wait and I can guarantee fun will be had.
Posted By: KG68

Re: Would you - 09/25/14 01:07 PM

Good luck Sapper. That is a nice one.
Posted By: txhunter1010

Re: Would you - 09/25/14 01:07 PM

nice.....so got a question..years ago I hunted at fort hood and didn't see a thing..but the thing im wondering is when I went out there I understood you couldn't have feeders?

Re: Would you - 09/25/14 01:09 PM

Originally Posted By: KG68
Thanks Kent. By the way did y'all get any rain? Was looking at the radar the other day after I ask you and it looked like there was a lot of rain around you and I was hoping you finally got some.

Re: Would you - 09/25/14 01:10 PM

Originally Posted By: txhunter1010
nice.....so got a question..years ago I hunted at fort hood and didn't see a thing..but the thing im wondering is when I went out there I understood you couldn't have feeders?
You can have feeders except for a couple areas where there are no permanent stands and feeders allowed. All you have to do is tag your equipment with contact info and grid coordinates.

Re: Would you - 09/25/14 01:14 PM

Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
Thanks Kent. By the way did y'all get any rain? Was looking at the radar the other day after I ask you and it looked like there was a lot of rain around you and I was hoping you finally got some.

Finally got 1 1/2" here at the house but a fantastic 2 1/2" at the lake. Didn't catch much water but everything got a drink. up
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Would you - 09/25/14 01:14 PM

If you are afraid that you might spook the deer get into the stand early. I've sat in my stand a couple hours before daylight before and it's good nap time.
If you are hunting the military base then I understand you can't go out until designated times so I'd opt for the evening hunt.
I used to hunt on Camp Bullis so I know the routine, and it can be a pita! bang
Posted By: Kenneth1977

Re: Would you - 09/25/14 01:19 PM

One thing to remember that when you are walking to your stand in the dark ( if there is not a full moon ) most of the time the deer will here you before they see you and not spook to bad and just run to the nearest cover and will return or thats the is what i have found but i am no expert like some here lol!

Re: Would you - 09/25/14 01:19 PM

Originally Posted By: SapperTitan

Finally got 1 1/2" here at the house but a fantastic 2 1/2" at the lake. Didn't catch much water but everything got a drink. up

That is great news. Im sure the lake and animals in the area appreciated whatever they got.

Re: Would you - 09/25/14 01:23 PM

As momma said "watch for snakes". This cooler weather has them on the move. This 4 footer was laying under a gate in knee deep grass yesterday waiting on a meal.

Re: Would you - 09/25/14 01:25 PM

Dang. I have def. been a little more cautious as of late. Where I hunt on Hood I have never seen a rattle snake but it just seems like a good spot for one o be.

Re: Would you - 09/25/14 01:36 PM

Nice buck! Got to this site. It may help. http://www.deerfeedingchart.com/#zip=77837
September 27, 2014

rating 25

Sunrise: 07:18 AM
Sunset: 07:17 PM

Moon Illumination: 7%

Feeding
AM Major: 03:35 AM
PM Major: 03:56 PM
Posted By: iehooligan11b

Re: Would you - 09/25/14 01:38 PM

Nice buck. Can't wait to get back to the states and start huntin again. How do you like huntin hood? I usually go down to south texas. Haven't ever hunted on post. Did my bow qual for huntin hood last season but never went lol.

Re: Would you - 09/25/14 01:40 PM

Here's another one that helps. http://www.timeanddate.com/

Re: Would you - 09/25/14 01:55 PM

As momma said "watch for snakes". This cooler weather has them on the move. This 4 footer was laying under a gate in knee deep grass yesterday waiting on a meal.

Don't think that snake had a meal of your size in mind though KG68 bolt grin It is the season for snakes to be moving crazy
Posted By: TonyinVA

Re: Would you - 09/25/14 02:11 PM

My vote is evening..get in early and let things calm down..and hope for the best.
Posted By: MikeC

Re: Would you - 09/25/14 07:07 PM

Good luck Sapper. I hope that buck comes in for you.
Posted By: Ranch Dawg

Re: Would you - 09/25/14 10:21 PM

All day !! Great lookn buck, good luck.
Posted By: Western

Re: Would you - 09/25/14 11:23 PM

Originally Posted By: TonyinVA
My vote is evening..get in early and let things calm down..and hope for the best.

X's 2!!
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Would you - 09/25/14 11:31 PM

Originally Posted By: TonyinVA
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Would you - 09/26/14 12:19 AM

Ranchman, you're on a roll bud roflmao And, of course I'm going to agree with you AGAIN. Sapper, you need to hunt evenings, for reasons mentioned above. Good luck, buddy. That is a great deer.
Posted By: nsmike

Re: Would you - 09/26/14 12:22 AM

Back when I was at Ft Hood (75-78) it wasn't rattlesnakes that gave us problems it was copperheads every time we went to the rifle range at least one pit would have a copperhead in it.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Would you - 09/26/14 12:24 AM

I forgot. We killed two copperheads last Saturday night, next to the house. Watch out eeks333
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Would you - 09/26/14 12:55 AM

I would go with the evening. By 10:00 a.m. it will have warmed up considerably and anything that visited earlier while it's cool would probably have moved on to the shade and green browse. He looks like a nice one my friend. I hope you get a chance at him.

Notice I actually read your post and haven't advised you to hunt early in the morning.... hammer

Re: Would you - 09/26/14 01:58 AM

Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator
Notice I actually read your post and haven't advised you to hunt early in the morning.... hammer
Or advised me to hunt all day when I mentioned twice it wasn't an option. LOL
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum