Texas Hunting Forum

ok just wanting yalls opinion again

Posted By: sunsetroosters

ok just wanting yalls opinion again - 09/23/14 04:17 PM

how long does it take deer to get used to a new feeder pen???
Posted By: Son of a Blitch

Re: ok just wanting yalls opinion again - 09/23/14 04:19 PM

Mine took a couple months to get use too it. Now that it's been there over a year, more have gotten use to coming in, but some are still cautious...mine is about 12 panels.
Posted By: wisco-hunter

Re: ok just wanting yalls opinion again - 09/23/14 04:26 PM

Judging by my trail cam picks, by 3 weeks I usually get pretty good action, and by 5 weeks usually all the deer that are in the area know about it. That is for a new feeder, the pics I got after I put a pen around the feeder, the deer jumped in the first night.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: ok just wanting yalls opinion again - 09/23/14 05:13 PM

Put up a feeder and feed pen made out of sheep and goat netting. The same afternoon we put it up there were deer in it eating.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: ok just wanting yalls opinion again - 09/23/14 05:15 PM

just depends on the deer... Iv had them jump in the pen within the same day
Posted By: txshntr

Re: ok just wanting yalls opinion again - 09/23/14 05:19 PM

If the feeder is already there and running, don't think you will see much change. New feeder might take a couple of weeks
Posted By: sunsetroosters

Re: ok just wanting yalls opinion again - 09/23/14 05:32 PM

awesome... this is what I wanted to know... thanks guys... im going to attempt to make feeder pens this weekend. im going to cut cattle panels in half long ways and make em 10 panels around.... they will be 2 ft tall and imma run a strand of barb wire around the top for the cows
Posted By: Hunt n Fish

Re: ok just wanting yalls opinion again - 09/23/14 05:49 PM

The last pen we put up didn't bother 'em at all. Put it up around an existing 1/3 acre plot with a feeder in one corner and had 'em feeding the next morning like nothing happened.
Posted By: tShawnB

Re: ok just wanting yalls opinion again - 09/23/14 06:14 PM

If you have cows, don't be surprised if they look at your 2' tall feeder pens and laugh, barbed wire or not. Should be OK for most hogs as long as you have plenty of T posts and the deer could jump over it backwards, so that shouldn't be an issue. Your fixing to exert a lot of time, effort and money and 1 more foot could be the difference in pass and fail.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: ok just wanting yalls opinion again - 09/23/14 07:29 PM

Id see a hog rolling over a 2ft tall fence before a cow... at least good fed cows
Posted By: RedSnake

Re: ok just wanting yalls opinion again - 09/23/14 07:41 PM

Originally Posted By: txshntr
If the feeder is already there and running, don't think you will see much change. New feeder might take a couple of weeks

My experience too.
Posted By: tShawnB

Re: ok just wanting yalls opinion again - 09/23/14 08:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Navasot
Id see a hog rolling over a 2ft tall fence before a cow... at least good fed cows
Agreed, but with time, money and effort factored in, I am adding a foot and going with hog panels and a bit more security. Also, the tighter spacing at the bottom of hog panels make them a little more rigid and less forgiving, especially for rooters.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: ok just wanting yalls opinion again - 09/23/14 08:47 PM

Originally Posted By: RedSnake
Originally Posted By: txshntr

My experience too.

3rd this ^^^^^^^
Also location in the state. If deer are used to jumping netwire or barbwire fences already it will be much faster. We put up a feedpen around an existing protein feeder in La Salle County one afternoon and 2.5 hrs later there was a buck inside eating at the protein feeder. Put up a pen around a protein feeder in Bandera County and after 2 weeks I had to take a panel down to get deer back eating out of the feeder. After a month I closed the pens and the deer were jumping inside eating. Here in Goliad County it took about a week to 2 weeks when I put pens around the corn feeders.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: ok just wanting yalls opinion again - 09/24/14 03:53 AM

Our bull routinely clears our fence, which is 42" net plus two barbs and 10 more inches.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum