Texas Hunting Forum

Wheat and turnips

Posted By: Bowtech kid

Wheat and turnips - 09/17/14 02:24 AM

Ok so I planted about an acre in a 1/2 with a push plow in block of woods I could get a tractor in so my ? Is will the wheat and turnips grow to geither and will the deer eat both I worked my butt off past couple of days but this is the first time ever to plant thanks
Posted By: nsmike

Re: Wheat and turnips - 09/17/14 02:27 AM

They'll eat both but don't expect them to utilize the turnips until the first frost then they'll hammer them.

Re: Wheat and turnips - 09/17/14 02:36 AM

Thanks for the advice hope it all grows
Posted By: ryorgensen

Re: Wheat and turnips - 09/17/14 02:38 AM

They will grow together . If it is in the woods you probably need to add Lyme . I've never had much luck with turnips but some places the deer love them .
Posted By: Tye

Re: Wheat and turnips - 09/17/14 03:02 AM

Originally Posted By: nsmike
They'll eat both but don't expect them to utilize the turnips until the first frost then they'll hammer them.

Yep

Posted By: tdecker22

Re: Wheat and turnips - 09/17/14 03:18 AM

Plant turnips evey year and I have personally never seen a deer eat the turnip or the leaves. Not saying they don't but fr some reason the ones I plant they do not like.

Re: Wheat and turnips - 09/17/14 03:18 AM

Would love to have him eating mine lol thanks for the info guys and y after the frost?
Posted By: Western

Re: Wheat and turnips - 09/17/14 05:21 AM

After it freezes, the tops start to die and the sugar content in the tuber gets much higher.

Re: Wheat and turnips - 09/17/14 05:42 AM

Ok that good to kno thanks western ur in wise county what part that were I'm from
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Wheat and turnips - 09/17/14 10:23 AM

There may be regional differences on turnips. When I've over seeded them with wheat, they hammer them pretty quickly even before a frost. I rarely see them get over 6 or 7 inches tall. I'm hoping to plant some wheat this weekend. If I can get 3 or 4 pounds of turnip seed, I'll plant turnips after covering the wheat. If I can find them, I'm also going to try some beets.

Re: Wheat and turnips - 09/17/14 11:41 AM

Dave wise feed in Chico texas had 1 pound bag of turnips for 1.99 if that helps not sure how close u r
Posted By: Drop Tine

Re: Wheat and turnips - 09/17/14 07:09 PM

I bought a "Fall Deer Mix" from Justin Seed Co. to try out in 2 food plots. http://justinseed.com/index.php?cPath=21_114_145

Mixture of Wheat, Oats, Rye, Winter Peas, and Turnips. For best results plant late summer through fall and incorporate into the soil 1 to 2 inches. 50 lbs if drilling in poor soils, if broadcasting increase rate by 25%, if in good soils with good moisture drill at 100 lbs.

Also have 77 acres of just winter wheat planted......needs some rain!
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Wheat and turnips - 09/18/14 09:50 AM

Thanks Bowtech but that's a long way for me. I've usually found what I wanted at Justin Seed. I'm going to hit them Saturday. With the acorn crop that I'm going to get, I need a lot of help.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum