Texas Hunting Forum

Real Monster Buck?

Posted By: Gwood88

Real Monster Buck? - 09/12/14 01:43 AM

A friend of mine texted me some photos from the some game cams which he claims are from his uncle's company ranch in Laredo.

This is the one in question. He claims its a 5 1/2 yr old with about a 30in spread.
I can't tell if this is real or not.

Here he is cropped and zoomed.

What do you guys think?
Posted By: ACKHNTR

Re: Real Monster Buck? - 09/12/14 01:48 AM

Looks legit to me!
Posted By: JCB

Re: Real Monster Buck? - 09/12/14 01:50 AM

What does his ear ring say?
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Real Monster Buck? - 09/12/14 01:51 AM

Top pic does not look like any Laredo brush/trees that I have seen. Bottom buck is wide and that bling hanging off his right ear lets them know how old he is.
Posted By: jcarroll3

Re: Real Monster Buck? - 09/12/14 01:59 AM

I wish I would check my game cameras and see that... instead I get excited over the new 6 point I have on camera...

Re: Real Monster Buck? - 09/12/14 02:04 AM

Awesome. Thanks guys. Looks like I need to talk to his uncle about tagging along to take whatever they would consider a cull out there and what I would consider probably the best buck I have ever taken.

Originally Posted By: jcarroll3
I wish I would check my game cameras and see that... instead I get excited over the new 6 point I have on camera...

You and me both buddy!
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Real Monster Buck? - 09/12/14 02:30 AM

Originally Posted By: JCB
What does his ear ring say?

LOL
Posted By: bnoyle

Re: Real Monster Buck? - 09/12/14 02:32 AM

South TX High Fence. Not that there's anything wrong with that...just saying those petting-zoo specials ain't roaming wild and free for any old Tom-Dick-Harry.
Posted By: therancher

Re: Real Monster Buck? - 09/12/14 02:36 AM

Don't really matter where they are. Those are good looking deer. And if that one isn't 30", he's pushing it real hard.
Posted By: Curly

Re: Real Monster Buck? - 09/12/14 02:36 AM

Frankenbucks
meh
Posted By: Gone to Texas

Re: Real Monster Buck? - 09/12/14 02:51 AM

BEAST, couple years and he will be enormous.
Posted By: BOONER

Re: Real Monster Buck? - 09/12/14 02:52 AM

Originally Posted By: Curly
Frankenbucks
meh

If you saw the last buck at your place would you shoot it? I know I would in a heart beat. Im not a fan of most geneticaly mutated monsters but those deer look nothing like that. Those are some dang fine looking bucks. 2cents
Posted By: wacorusty

Re: Real Monster Buck? - 09/12/14 03:00 AM

breeders
Posted By: tdecker22

Re: Real Monster Buck? - 09/12/14 03:07 AM

Nice
Posted By: Perfect 8

Re: Real Monster Buck? - 09/12/14 03:23 AM

Totally believable ... if you believe genetically enhanced breeder program that feed the perfect mix of protein/minerals exist!
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Real Monster Buck? - 09/12/14 03:24 AM

Really like the typical frames....but looking at the ground in those pics as barren as it is they look like their in a breeding pen to me. Some monsters in that group for sure, but they look so calm and so crowded together I just don't get very excited looking at those pics.
Posted By: Dadsaid

Re: Real Monster Buck? - 09/12/14 04:32 AM

Originally Posted By: jcarroll3

X3
Posted By: Seadog

Re: Real Monster Buck? - 09/12/14 07:00 AM

Originally Posted By: therancher
Don't really matter where they are. Those are good looking deer. And if that one isn't 30", he's pushing it real hard.
Posted By: Schpanky

Re: Real Monster Buck? - 09/12/14 01:22 PM

eeks333
Posted By: Branden

Re: Real Monster Buck? - 09/12/14 01:36 PM

I would be happy just tagging along to shoot them with a camera..
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Real Monster Buck? - 09/12/14 01:45 PM

Originally Posted By: bnoyle
South TX High Fence. Not that there's anything wrong with that...just saying those petting-zoo specials ain't roaming wild and free for any old Tom-Dick-Harry.

they grow deer like that all over Webb county on low fence ranches. but they still ain't free for any Tom, Dick or Harry

Re: Real Monster Buck? - 09/12/14 01:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Branden
I would be happy just tagging along to shoot them with a camera..

I got a decent camera this last year with a 30x zoom lens, I can take some pretty good pictures with it.

I will say this, taking a good pic of a deer is just about as exciting as shooting it.
Posted By: WTGuide

Re: Real Monster Buck? - 09/12/14 02:25 PM

Last pic shows a HF in background. Most fellas don't put feeders right next to their HF unless it's a pen....just sayin

Re: Real Monster Buck? - 09/12/14 02:28 PM

Originally Posted By: WTGuide
Last pic shows a HF in background. Most fellas don't put feeders right next to their HF unless it's a pen....just sayin

that's a low fence

I think the OP's buddy is taking him for a ride.

the first pic is from the hill country, the last pic is from south texas somewhere
Posted By: ancuegar

Re: Real Monster Buck? - 09/12/14 03:14 PM

i know that wide deer. he is a 5 yo. i used to be the biologist on that ranch until april when i took a new job. we called him "OS" which stands for OH SH&T! cause that what every one said when they saw him. that deer was a resident of blind 16/low road.
as far as the first pic, we didnt have any feeders like that on the ranch or oak trees.

Re: Real Monster Buck? - 09/12/14 11:28 PM

Yes, you all are correct. I asked him about the top picture and he said he forgot to tell me that is from a different ranch in Kerrville. Good eye(s) there guys.
Posted By: TonyinVA

Re: Real Monster Buck? - 09/13/14 04:10 PM

Those are a lot of mostly clean typicals.....and I believe that the deer in the lower photo's is 30" wide. Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: Real Monster Buck? - 09/13/14 11:53 PM

Originally Posted By: wacorusty
breeders

Just...well...ugh
Posted By: Erich

Re: Real Monster Buck? - 09/15/14 05:32 PM

I have to agree....those aren't the same property....or if they are its out west somewhere. top pic looks hill countryish....but could be west texas hills, and bottom pic looks like south texas somewhere. could be on some divide country headed west though.

damn nice deer for sure...but for someone with the property/time/money/inclination to do it...they do grow deer like that all day long in most parts of texas. on both high and low fences.

mostly the fence helps you regulate density. it allows you to do a high density feeding program without attracting every other deer in the county. it does keep the more mature deer that you've raised contained too. but not to the point of being un-ethical to hunt.

our place is low fence, I'd honestly like to HF. but we take very good care of our deer. we shoot them, but are very selective, we keep things very natural and quiet. not excessive hunting pressure. the deer are not afraid of us. we will frequenly walk up on deer that do not run, frequently shoot a deer only to have the other deer not run or shortly return. the fence is not what makes them more tame....its the lack of abuse.
Posted By: Erich

Re: Real Monster Buck? - 09/15/14 05:37 PM

case in point....on the same property sitting in the same deer stand....if a hog comes out to one of our feeders....and say you accidentally bump the side of the blind...that hog is gone in a heartbeat...because he knows the rifle is coming next.

the deer pay no mind. hunting pressure makes the difference.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum