Texas Hunting Forum

thinking maybe a 3.5 yearold?

Posted By: NBH

thinking maybe a 3.5 yearold? - 09/10/14 10:44 PM

what do you guys think? I am new to trying to age deer and just seeing if I am on the right track. Thanks

Posted By: stxranchman

Re: thinking maybe a 3.5 yearold? - 09/10/14 11:28 PM

Looked older in some pics and a bit younger in the last pic. I would call him a 4yr old at least.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: thinking maybe a 3.5 yearold? - 09/10/14 11:38 PM

I would say 4.5 +
Posted By: 2012hvt

Re: thinking maybe a 3.5 yearold? - 09/11/14 01:48 AM

At least 4 1/2
Posted By: ACKHNTR

Re: thinking maybe a 3.5 yearold? - 09/11/14 01:53 AM

I say 5, here in a few weeks he's really going to start showing his age.

Re: thinking maybe a 3.5 yearold? - 09/11/14 01:58 AM

he is #1 on my hit list. But I guess I really need to study up on the aging on the deer! Thanks for yalls input so far!
Posted By: Perfect 8

Re: thinking maybe a 3.5 yearold? - 09/11/14 02:00 AM

At least 4.5 maybe more ... I agree his age will show about the time bow season opens and the hormones start to build.
Posted By: ACKHNTR

Re: thinking maybe a 3.5 yearold? - 09/11/14 02:04 AM

That high rise ten in the background looks plenty mature also!

Re: thinking maybe a 3.5 yearold? - 09/11/14 02:06 AM

I got more pics of him too but not any that are really good and clear
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: thinking maybe a 3.5 yearold? - 09/11/14 02:34 AM

Velvet deer are the hardest to age.

Keep your trail cam photos and give each buck a folder , then compare after they get closer to rut. Betting he is 4 though
Posted By: txshntr

Re: thinking maybe a 3.5 yearold? - 09/11/14 03:18 AM

Originally Posted By: Perfect 8
At least 4.5 maybe more ... I agree his age will show about the time bow season opens and the hormones start to build.
Posted By: therancher

Re: thinking maybe a 3.5 yearold? - 09/11/14 03:36 AM

It is VERY hard to age deer on the hoof accurately.

At BEST people should only hope to get within one year either side. Unless it's a yearling or a really old deer.

So now, what difference does it make if it's 3.5, or 4.5? There are SOOOO many uncontrollables that are going to determine his antler growth next year, which means you really can't guarantee if he's going to be significantly better at 4.5 or 5.5, than he is this year.

It is my experience that deer (both wild and penned) have their best antlers between 7.5 and 9.5. I know, conventional knowledge says 5.5-6.5. But maybe my deer are just unconventional.

Anyway, long way around to this: if you like the deer, shoot the deer. Especially if it's on a low fenced ranch with neighbors within a mile. Even if it's a high fenced ranch. Are you really going to get a lot more inches for a year's worth of feed? Sometimes you do, most of the time you don't.
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: thinking maybe a 3.5 yearold? - 09/11/14 04:20 AM

I'm thinking three
Posted By: ancuegar

Re: thinking maybe a 3.5 yearold? - 09/11/14 11:08 AM

at least 4.
Posted By: Legion

Re: thinking maybe a 3.5 yearold? - 09/11/14 12:11 PM

Posted By: JMalin

Re: thinking maybe a 3.5 yearold? - 09/11/14 01:20 PM

Originally Posted By: therancher

At BEST people should only hope to get within one year either side. Unless it's a yearling or a really old deer.

So now, what difference does it make if it's 3.5, or 4.5? There are SOOOO many uncontrollables that are going to determine his antler growth next year, which means you really can't guarantee if he's going to be significantly better at 4.5 or 5.5, than he is this year.

It is my experience that deer (both wild and penned) have their best antlers between 7.5 and 9.5. I know, conventional knowledge says 5.5-6.5. But maybe my deer are just unconventional.

Anyway, long way around to this: if you like the deer, shoot the deer. Especially if it's on a low fenced ranch with neighbors within a mile. Even if it's a high fenced ranch. Are you really going to get a lot more inches for a year's worth of feed? Sometimes you do, most of the time you don't.

Quite a few biologists in south texas have the same sentiments. When they get to 7.5+, they aren't actively rutting as hard as when they were younger and more nutrition can be devoted to antler growth the following spring instead of having to put on weight lost during a hard rut.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: thinking maybe a 3.5 yearold? - 09/11/14 01:32 PM

Originally Posted By: therancher

The area your in will have a lot to do with that along with CC and population.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: thinking maybe a 3.5 yearold? - 09/11/14 01:33 PM

Buck is a 4yr old imo
Posted By: tShawnB

Re: thinking maybe a 3.5 yearold? - 09/11/14 01:50 PM

He is 4 all day. If you wanted to call him 4 plus to cover any maybes or what ifs, go ahead. Good one to shoot.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum