Texas Hunting Forum

Chaparral WMA 2014 hunts in South Texas

Posted By: Hunter Daddy

Chaparral WMA 2014 hunts in South Texas - 09/01/14 12:59 AM

Wanting to know if anyone has been picked to hunt the Chaparral WMA this year in December. My buddy and I will be bowhunting there and need any info about this area and what to expect. Ant tips would be great.
Posted By: batman

Re: Chaparral WMA 2014 hunts in South Texas - 09/01/14 02:53 AM

I was drawn years ago for a rifle hunt. Ask for advice and listen.
Posted By: BowSlayer

Re: Chaparral WMA 2014 hunts in South Texas - 09/02/14 02:00 PM

I hunted there a few years ago. If I were you I would spend the first afternoon of the hunt sitting in one of the blinds they already have in place. Pick one where you can see a long ways if possible just to give you an idea of where the deer are naturally moving. After you see some movement go set up there. I like to use a short tripod and tuck it in behind a tree. Those deer know where the blinds are on that place and they check them for hunters so I would not hunt them. It's hard to burn a hunt scouting but I think it's worth it. It's a cool place to hunt with some big deer but it can be tough to close the distance on one. Good luck!
Posted By: tbgascorer

Re: Chaparral WMA 2014 hunts in South Texas - 09/02/14 04:44 PM

Short tripod and tuck in the cover as best you can. I did not have luck with tents. Even well brushed in, they just knew something was wrong. If it's dry when you go, pick a compartment with water and set up close. I think all compartments are good, don't get too caught up in making a decision. Pick one and get after it. Everyone wants to drive clear across the ranch to far off places. Don't be afraid to pick close to headquarters.
Posted By: Turkeywhite66

Re: Chaparral WMA 2014 hunts in South Texas - 09/03/14 10:27 PM

Look for trails crossing. Put cameras out. Have two different spots set up. Waste first evening brushing in blinds. Move if not seeing anything. Keep talking to guys who work there. They know best trust them. Two years i made mistake of not moving. Past year moved to spot i thought was horrible. Turned out great saw six or seven nice bucks. Keep driving to minimum. Walk straight to blind. Let it settle down after first day. Hunt all day. Hunt all day. Thats huge. When i say move i dont mean walk the whole pasture. Move to other set up.
Posted By: MathMan

Re: Chaparral WMA 2014 hunts in South Texas - 09/23/14 03:31 AM

Here's a link to some info on Chaperral from a few years ago.

http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/912029/Chaparral_WMA
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum