Texas Hunting Forum

Have you ever missed a shot because of a stand and fill feeder

Posted By: jbrooks

Have you ever missed a shot because of a stand and fill feeder - 08/30/14 02:37 PM

I really want to build a stand and fill feeder my only concern is missing a shot with a deer behind the feeder.
Posted By: Western

Re: Have you ever missed a shot because of a stand and fill feeder - 08/30/14 02:40 PM

I haven't, but the prominent feeding position is usually right under the spinner and bucks will almost always take that spot. Thats on tripod feeders, all I have used.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Have you ever missed a shot because of a stand and fill feeder - 08/30/14 02:48 PM

If I had one it would not be a problem since I put extra corn out from a road feeder or throw extra out from a bucket. That puts deer where I want them.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Have you ever missed a shot because of a stand and fill feeder - 08/30/14 03:33 PM

No. But my stand and fills have 12 volt motors that really throw the corn out and spread it good so I have plenty of shot opportunities that aren't right next to the feeder.
Posted By: maximus_flavius

Re: Have you ever missed a shot because of a stand and fill feeder - 08/30/14 09:55 PM

You could always shoot the deer BEFORE he gets to the feeder.......
Posted By: txbobcat

Re: Have you ever missed a shot because of a stand and fill feeder - 08/30/14 10:55 PM

I have several and it is not a problem.
Posted By: gary75758

Re: Have you ever missed a shot because of a stand and fill feeder - 08/30/14 11:25 PM

Originally Posted By: maximus_flavius

+ 1
texas
Posted By: jbrooks

Re: Have you ever missed a shot because of a stand and fill feeder - 08/31/14 01:16 AM

Originally Posted By: maximus_flavius

Oh yeah I never thought of that.

Its going on a sendero next to the brush and blind will be on the opposite side.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Have you ever missed a shot because of a stand and fill feeder - 08/31/14 02:38 AM

All my feeders are 500-1000lbs and 5'10 tall. No issues
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Have you ever missed a shot because of a stand and fill feeder - 08/31/14 04:08 AM

No issues here either. Most of feed is broadcast well beyond the feeder, but inside the fence. Bigger issue is not hitting the cattle panel fencing. Trying to sneak a bullet half inch hi or low of the cross wire has cause me a deflection or two!
Posted By: TreeBass

Re: Have you ever missed a shot because of a stand and fill feeder - 08/31/14 06:18 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
If I had one it would not be a problem since I put extra corn out from a road feeder or throw extra out from a bucket. That puts deer where I want them.

Ditto, I don't shoot em around the feeder
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Have you ever missed a shot because of a stand and fill feeder - 08/31/14 06:24 PM

I still have a box of Winchester Fail Safes- I just shoot through the feeder.
Posted By: Las Colinas Hunter

Re: Have you ever missed a shot because of a stand and fill feeder - 09/02/14 12:47 AM

Never hit thr feeder while hunting deer. Did put a hole through one of feeder legs while shooting a coon.
Posted By: 68A

Re: Have you ever missed a shot because of a stand and fill feeder - 09/02/14 01:15 AM

Gotta learn how to curve the bullet. Ninja skills. ninja
Posted By: Erich

Re: Have you ever missed a shot because of a stand and fill feeder - 09/02/14 05:01 PM

I've shot very few bucks standing directly under a feeder. and truthfully not that many does even. we hand throw corn when we sit...so there is a broader area there for the deer to feed. the majority of things that I've shot directly under a feeder have been hogs and raccoons.

like anything...just be patient on your shot. wait for them to move.
Posted By: clear creek 89

Re: Have you ever missed a shot because of a stand and fill feeder - 09/03/14 01:56 AM

I shot a doe one time that ran into the feeder leg after I shot her! Don't know if that counts lol.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum