Texas Hunting Forum

New to San Antonio Area, few questions

Posted By: leonoctu

New to San Antonio Area, few questions - 08/26/14 06:09 PM

Good Afternoon all,

As it says in the subject, I'm a member of the Military and have recently been Stationed to Ft. Sam Houston down in San Antonio and had a few questions regarding the hunting down my way. I am originally from Maryland so I know that there will be big differences in the hunting here than what I am used to.

I was wondering what type of public land is offered around the San Antonio area? I know that there is a public land discussion thread here but again I am new to the area and am not entirely sure what area San Antonio is considered to be under.

I know that I can hunt on Camp Bullis and have had my name drawn in their White Tail Lottery. Does anyone have any experience in hunting deer/hog on Bullis and was it successful? Do you all have any advice for hunting on Bullis for those of you that hunted there in the past.

I know that you have the different deer seasons like we do in Maryland, can you only hunt with a Bow from 27Sept-31Oct or can you use a Bow during muzzleloader and firearms seasons as well?

When do the deer enter into rut down here or is it the same as the first full moon during November like it is back home in Maryland. Also do y'all have any recommendations for hunting Hog as that is something that I've always wanted to do and plan do definitely take part in that while I am down here.

I apologize for the number of questions I put in this post but as I said, I am from Maryland and I know that hunting varies widely dependent on the climate and terrain that you are currently hunting in. Thank you all in advance for any help that you may be able to offer or for directing me in the proper direction to find out this information.

V/R
Scott
Posted By: Branden

Re: New to Area, few questions - 08/26/14 06:48 PM

I cant help you on all your questions but from past experiences hunting down south run was mainly in Dec. Central to west and east the rut is mid Nov. You can hunt with a bow during all seasons. Im sure some one will chime in on the rest. Thank you for your Service and welcome
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: New to Area, few questions - 08/26/14 07:14 PM

welcome Texas is primarily are private land ownership state. 97% or more of the land in Texas is privately owned so you will need to get a lease or permission to hunt. TPWD has WMA hunting areas that do draw hunts for the public.
https://www2.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/hunt/public/public_hunt_drawing/
Depending on your age you might need a hunter safety course.
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/outdoor-learning/hunter-education
There is some public land hunting but most will be in East Texas.
Texas is a large state with diverse habitat. There are 8 basic regions and each will have different habitats within. The WT rut can start as early as Sept to as late as Christmas depending on where you are hunting in the State. The rut at Camp Bullis will be more early Novemeber since it is in the Edwards Plateau region of the state. Body sizes of deer can vary as much as the rut can in Texas.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: New to Area, few questions - 08/26/14 10:26 PM

welcome If I were you would check with the FT Sam WMR office. Find out about the local military installation's rod and gun clubs to see what they may have to offer.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: New to Area, few questions - 08/26/14 10:30 PM

Welcome, Leon. Thank you for your service and a big ol' Texas howdy to ya'
Posted By: don k

Re: New to Area, few questions - 08/26/14 10:34 PM

Congrats. on your move here. Hopefully you will enjoy it. Camp Bullis is a great place to hunt. Never got to hunt there but spent time there and saw some very good deer. That was many Moons ago so they should be even better.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: New to Area, few questions - 08/26/14 10:42 PM

join "24hrcampfire.com" there are service men in that area that can help you out
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum