Texas Hunting Forum

Sublease

Posted By: Jobst

Sublease - 08/22/14 06:13 PM

Whats a good deal for subleasing your land for deer season?
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Sublease - 08/22/14 06:36 PM

Define subleasing your land? Subleasing implies you are leasing the land and don't own it. First step would be to see if the landowner would allow that.
Posted By: Jobst

Re: Sublease - 08/22/14 09:44 PM

K. Then other way around I mean. I own it. Allowing someone else to lease to hunters and the "subleaser" pays me for each hunter.

What split would be good, 50/50 60/40 75/25? He will take care of feeders etc.
Posted By: Western

Re: Sublease - 08/22/14 09:53 PM

Just my opinion. Subleaser would be the hunters, they would "sublease" from the "someone else" who would be actually leasing it from you. That is how I have seen it done. I sure would have a written contract that the leaser is responsible for any damages caused by the "sub-leasers" as well. He basically would be operating like and outfitter that leases others property for his hunters.

Also IMO, I wouldn't care if he wants to fill feeders ect tra, that would be his decision as a service to provide to hunters (of which most like doing themselves). I wouldn't hardly give squat, maybe 90/10 since you can lease out directly and keep all the $$.

Maybe I don't get what your doing though.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Sublease - 08/22/14 10:09 PM

if you are close, I would cut out the middle man, if you decide to go wit a middle man, get everything in writing, any kind of damage ect.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Sublease - 08/22/14 10:33 PM

I would want to deal directly with the hunters leasing the land not a middle man. I would have the lease written the way you want it directly with the hunters leasing the land. Let them buy their own stands and feeders to maintain.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Sublease - 08/23/14 12:21 AM

Yep.
Posted By: tShawnB

Re: Sublease - 08/23/14 12:32 AM

Subleasing is asking for trouble. Been down that road.
Posted By: dlrz71

Re: Sublease - 08/23/14 02:12 AM

We lease from an elderly couple that own the ranch we hunt. The lease manager is a hunter on the lease that has been on the place for 20+ years. Not sure about his perks and what not but all lease showing, rules and payments go directly through the lease manager. I am sure the rules were something that were discussed between the 2 of them before put into writing and sent out each year.

If you live on the place or close access I would deal directly with the hunters IMO.
Posted By: dlrz71

Re: Sublease - 08/23/14 02:17 AM

Originally Posted By: tShawnB
Subleasing is asking for trouble. Been down that road.

My first lease I ever tried to get on was a true "sublease" and it ended before it began. We went and looked at the place and took a spot. When we went down to place a stand we ran into the ranch foreman's son who filled us in that they had not received payment and that we needed to talk to them before placing anything on the propery. I actually knew the guy that was doing the subleasing from when I had worked summers with my uncle and cousin when I was younger and thought nothing about it being subleased.

Needless to say during our conversation with him that weekend and when he wouldn't give me the land owners information I got a refund and took my stuff home.
Posted By: therancher

Re: Sublease - 08/23/14 01:32 PM

Middlemen suck. He**, you never know, but I've even heard that middle men sometimes take bribes "enticements" from current leasers to hide new high dollar offers from the landowner...

I know, sounds sleazy, but I really have heard that happens.. wink
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Sublease - 08/23/14 01:38 PM

popcorn
Posted By: passthru

Re: Sublease - 08/23/14 03:25 PM

I've known guys that do a great job of it. They lease several properties and hold the hunters to strict rules and stay on top of things. Many of them are scam artists who take their cut, put too many on places, often screw over the hunters and the land owners. Be careful who you get.
Posted By: txbobcat

Re: Sublease - 08/23/14 03:34 PM

Worst ones are ones that split up the seasons to different groups. Always turns into a circus.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum