Texas Hunting Forum

Opinions on age?

Posted By: Texas buckeye

Opinions on age? - 07/29/14 03:27 AM

This is a regular at my feeder, and he seems to be much older than most of the bucks that he hangs with. I figure he is about 5-6yo, what do you think?

From July 17:

More recently:

Got some more rain up there today and the place is green as can be, hoping for some good growth through August before things start shedding.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Opinions on age? - 07/29/14 05:02 AM

4 or 5 year old. good looking buck with some more growing to do the ends of those tines are still bulbous so still some growing to do, good looking buck

Hope to see some pics of him on the ground this season up
Posted By: decook

Re: Opinions on age? - 07/29/14 11:11 AM

I think you nailed his age. Nice deer.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Opinions on age? - 07/29/14 12:42 PM

Posted By: landsurveyor

Re: Opinions on age? - 07/29/14 01:14 PM

4.5 is my guess
Posted By: RossCravens

Re: Opinions on age? - 07/29/14 03:11 PM

I would call him 4-1/2 and the one on the right side of the pictures 3-1/2.

Couple of good looking deer.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Opinions on age? - 07/29/14 03:14 PM

Id call them both 3
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Opinions on age? - 07/29/14 03:33 PM

From those 2 pics and angles I would call him 5.

Re: Opinions on age? - 07/29/14 03:34 PM

Any pics of them last year well into season?

Re: Opinions on age--updated with pics from last year - 07/29/14 04:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Navasot
Any pics of them last year well into season?

I don't have anything that I could definitively say is him last year, although I could look again. I do have pics of this buck starting in April when he was nubs to now, compiled a 22 pic folder on my laptop at home so far of the progression. I had some battery troubles with game cams late last season so I may have missed him late last year, but don't remember seeing him early season last year.

Looked through my pics from last season and it turns out he was pretty regular then too, at least post-rut. Here are a few pics, I tried to give some decent body shots.

It appears he has added some antler growth compared to last year, a little width and some main beam/tine length already compared to last year...opinions?

Re: Opinions on age--updated with pics from last year - 07/30/14 02:21 PM

Bump for edit above.

Would like your opinion on age of this buck given the pics form last year included. I see the buck as 3-4 yo last year, some of the pics show me 3 and some appear closer to 4. Peak rut time in my area is mid November, so he probably is rutted down a bit.
Posted By: John Humbert

Re: Opinions on age--updated with pics from last year - 07/30/14 03:14 PM

Based on the 12/9 15:56 photo, he sure looks like a 3.5yo then, high rump "race horse" kinda of look. Which would make him 4.5 this year. But that's just me. smile

BTW, looks like your feeder throws a ton of corn! :):)
Posted By: tShawnB

Re: Opinions on age--updated with pics from last year - 07/30/14 03:24 PM

I wouldn't age him more than 4.5.

Re: Opinions on age--updated with pics from last year - 07/30/14 03:41 PM

Ill stick with 3
Posted By: RossCravens

Re: Opinions on age--updated with pics from last year - 07/30/14 04:06 PM

I'll stick with 4-1/2 this year.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Opinions on age--updated with pics from last year - 07/30/14 04:17 PM

I'll wait till early October to tell if he looks different.

Re: Opinions on age--updated with pics from last year - 07/30/14 04:50 PM

Originally Posted By: John Humbert
Based on the 12/9 15:56 photo, he sure looks like a 3.5yo then, high rump "race horse" kinda of look. Which would make him 4.5 this year. But that's just me. smile

Yeah, I hand tossed a bag of corn out under the feeder and to the left of the feeder on Dec 7 or 8, took a few days for the snow to melt enough to see it. Didn't help me much as I was back at work when these pics were taken a couple days later. Matters not, as I would not have shot this guy last year even if I had seen him.

Also, I agree with you about the age, I have a hard time putting him older than 3.5yo last year, which would put him at 4.5 yo this year. His pics from this year make him look older, but the pics don't lie.

Re: Opinions on age--updated with pics from last year - 07/30/14 05:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Texas buckeye
Originally Posted By: John Humbert

Yeah, I hand tossed a bag of corn out under the feeder and to the left of the feeder on Dec 7 or 8, took a few days for the snow to melt enough to see it. Didn't help me much as I was back at work when these pics were taken a couple days later. Matters not, as I would not have shot this guy last year even if I had seen him.

Also, I agree with you about the age, I have a hard time putting him older than 3.5yo last year, which would put him at 4.5 yo this year. His pics from this year make him look older, but the pics don't lie.

Its just the time of year.... wait a bit and he will show more truthful pics
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Opinions on age--updated with pics from last year - 07/30/14 06:12 PM

The pic from this year looks like 4.5 or older and the pic from last year looks like a 3.5. I give more credit to the winter pic and would call him 4.5 this year.

Pretty lookin bucks
Posted By: Turkeyman

Re: Opinions on age--updated with pics from last year - 08/01/14 04:46 PM

3 1/2 to 4 years
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum