Texas Hunting Forum

deers ears?

Posted By: KeithTT

deers ears? - 07/26/14 05:56 PM

When a deer cuts his ear or gets a chunk bit off by a coyote. Does it heal back to a regular looking ear? Think we have a deer on cam this year that showed up late season last year. Last year he had a chink missing from his left ear and this year it looks normal. Almost positive it is the same buck. Any thoughts
Posted By: therancher

Re: deers ears? - 07/26/14 06:11 PM

I've never seen them grow back. Once split always split is my experience. I would bet its a different deer.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: deers ears? - 07/26/14 07:25 PM

Originally Posted By: therancher
I've never seen them grow back. Once split always split is my experience. I would bet its a different deer.

This ^^^^^^^

Re: deers ears? - 07/26/14 08:08 PM

I have the pics on my phone if someone could text me I would text them to you if someone would kindly load them. Y'all be the judge. Has to be the same deer. pm me a number
Posted By: Western

Re: deers ears? - 07/26/14 08:28 PM

I would love to see the photos, but I agree with Therancher and STX. same with most animals from my experience

Re: deers ears? - 07/26/14 08:45 PM

Here is the deer from last year. He was passed on three times

Re: deers ears? - 07/26/14 08:48 PM

This deer looks like the same deer with a years growth. What y'all think? Does he meet ars and dang it looks like the same deer but the ear is heeled? We know most of these bucks pretty well and this is on 50 acres
Posted By: KG68

Re: deers ears? - 07/26/14 09:07 PM

loser8 Deer don't grow ears, legs or tails back.
Posted By: TheDman62

Re: deers ears? - 07/26/14 09:18 PM

Doesn't look like the same deer to me. The deer with the ripped ear has a more roman nose than the other and the rack looks wider to me. And the brow tines are different. But, that's just my $.02, Ive been wrong before.
Posted By: Western

Re: deers ears? - 07/26/14 09:26 PM

Originally Posted By: TheDman62
Doesn't look like the same deer to me. The deer with the ripped ear has a more roman nose than the other and the rack looks wider to me. And the brow tines are different. But, that's just my $.02, Ive been wrong before.

I agree, the 1st one looks much older IMO, same genetics more than likely.
Posted By: rifleman

Re: deers ears? - 07/26/14 10:02 PM

Obviously different, you'll never find that first one unless you say the magic password to access Mickey's Clubhouse.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: deers ears? - 07/26/14 10:44 PM

I think your seeing the same genetics, not the same deer.
Posted By: jdickey

Re: deers ears? - 07/26/14 10:54 PM

We've had a split-eared doe that has shown up for the past three years. She has had twin fawns as long as we've been watching her, plus she is a big bodied doe.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: deers ears? - 07/26/14 11:39 PM

As Payne would say...nyet. This is a much better buck than the one from last year.

Re: deers ears? - 07/27/14 01:02 AM

We def agree he is a much better deer than the one last year now do we agree that he meets ars and should see the south end of a muzzy unless something bigger shows? 50 acres up north of Decatur

Re: deers ears? - 07/27/14 01:04 AM

Those genetics are not common around there is why we thought it was the same deer that had grown. Our 8s are usually wider and not as tall. Would be cool to smoke a big tall mature 8 though ..... Btw we have named this deer tips for his tips touching or Timmy not sure why but tall tight Timmy sounded fitting. What y'all think tips or Timmy?
Posted By: txshntr

Re: deers ears? - 07/27/14 01:35 AM

Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator
I think your seeing the same genetics, not the same deer.
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: deers ears? - 07/27/14 01:38 AM

Originally Posted By: therancher
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: deers ears? - 07/27/14 01:47 PM

As already pointed out, ears don't grow back. That "notch" was probably from an infected tick bite or a b'd wire fence. I wouldn't take the chance on either one in an AR county. It's a shame, too, because those tall and narrow genetics are gonna' get a foothold and it's tough identifying them as spikes. I wish they'd let kids take this kind of deer during youth season.
Posted By: RossCravens

Re: deers ears? - 07/27/14 02:32 PM

I agree with everyone, once cut, always cut. I've never seen an animal grow a notch back! Probably same genetics but a different buck.
Posted By: Honkey911

Re: deers ears? - 07/28/14 02:16 AM

ear or no ear nice buck looks like the mickey mouse in the back ground of the first pic
Posted By: hoof n wings

Re: deers ears? - 07/28/14 03:45 PM

Or not

Posted By: h20thief

Re: deers ears? - 07/28/14 03:50 PM

I'd be he doesn't make the AR's.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: deers ears? - 07/28/14 04:05 PM

Mammals are very limited with their regeneration ability... now if he was a reptile that would be possible.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: deers ears? - 07/28/14 04:08 PM

Or if you caught him and put stiches in it
Posted By: TonyinVA

Re: deers ears? - 07/28/14 08:06 PM

It doesn't look like the same deer to me...not at all....and as stated above, the ear would not grow back to normal. Mammals do nor regenerate tissue in that manner (like salamanders or some lizards). Different deer and different ear!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum