Texas Hunting Forum

300+ Class buck

Posted By: Texan 65

300+ Class buck - 01/07/14 12:10 PM

Had an opportunity this past weekend to hunt a friends lease outside of San Angelo. Inside of the lease area was a deer breeding operation with holding pens and the whole nine yards. Inside one of the pens was a 300+ class deer. I forgot my camera on this trip and at this point REALLY regretted it. They also had some exotics in another pasture which I thought was pretty cool. The wind was blowing like all get out so the deer were not really moving and I got a stomach bug while I was there so hunting was limited for me. I have a chance to go back the weekend of the 18th which I will take him up on it....and bring my camera.
Posted By: MikeC

Re: 300+ Class buck - 01/07/14 01:30 PM

Looking forward to the pics.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: 300+ Class buck - 01/07/14 01:36 PM

Our neighbors have a buck that's pushing 400" and many over 300". Not my cup of tea but I wouldn't mind if they jumped their brood pens onto our land.
Posted By: KennyLee

Re: 300+ Class buck - 01/07/14 01:46 PM

I hunted a place like that for a couple of years, but I was there just to help cull. They were trying to eliminate all of the native deer so that they could restock with their bred deer. Sounded fun at first, but sure turned into a lot of work. Regardless, I enjoyed myself.

I know a lot of folks in that deer breeding business and I've heard the new goal is to have over 300 inches of mass from both sides of the gene pool. Just seems crazy to me, but they are accomplishing it.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: 300+ Class buck - 01/07/14 03:49 PM

JMO, but deer that large just get freakishly ugly.
Posted By: DocBailey

Re: 300+ Class buck - 01/07/14 09:02 PM

worthless

Re: 300+ Class buck - 01/07/14 10:08 PM

Originally Posted By: DocBailey
worthless

Tell me about it

Re: 300+ Class buck - 01/07/14 10:10 PM

Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks
JMO, but deer that large just get freakishly ugly.

He did look out of whack. He had more points than I could count and his bases looked like baseball bats.
Posted By: mark in tx

Re: 300+ Class buck - 01/08/14 12:42 AM

Is that one of those deer somebody is gonna have to pay 30 thousand dollars to hunt?
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: 300+ Class buck - 01/08/14 03:24 AM

Originally Posted By: mark in tx
Is that one of those deer somebody is gonna have to pay 30 thousand dollars to hunt?

No. That deer probably cost $60k.
Posted By: txshntr

Re: 300+ Class buck - 01/08/14 03:46 AM

Originally Posted By: Erathkid
Our neighbors have a buck that's pushing 400" and many over 300". Not my cup of tea but I wouldn't mind if they jumped their brood pens onto our land.

Should happen any day. Folks on the HF/LF threads are always saying the fence doesn't stop them up
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: 300+ Class buck - 01/08/14 05:16 AM

Originally Posted By: txshntr
Originally Posted By: Erathkid

Should happen any day. Folks on the HF/LF threads are always saying the fence doesn't stop them up
Kenny Lee, I agree. Hey that rhymes...But seriously folks, the deer on my neighbors side have yet to jump their fence. The average buck on the place is probably 140-160 mainframe with kickers.....They travel their fenceline frequently looking for gaps. Hogs are making the gaps larger...Thank goodness for hogs.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum