Texas Hunting Forum

which of these two rifles?

Posted By: chaseh2003

which of these two rifles? - 12/26/13 05:46 AM

I've been wanting a new 270 and I got a gift card to bass pro for Christmas. Even with the gift card, I'm still working with a budget. These are the two rifles at BP within my budget so which of these two would you go with?

Savage 11/111 Hunter XP or Ruger American Standard

Thanks,

Chase
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: which of these two rifles? - 12/26/13 06:18 AM

If the Savage has the AccuTrigger then I would go with that.
Posted By: Gusval

Re: which of these two rifles? - 12/26/13 06:27 AM

Savage even if it does not have the accu trigger.
Posted By: basspromaster

Re: which of these two rifles? - 12/26/13 06:40 AM

Savage!!! My buddy bought one last year in 30-06 and I was putting him on a doe when a big 130 7.5 yr old walked out. Smooth hardly any recoil and a very accurate gun. Love the accu trigger and wouldn't hesitate to buy one if I ever bought a new gun.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: which of these two rifles? - 12/26/13 07:12 AM

Personally I'd go Ruger.
Posted By: dawaba

Re: which of these two rifles? - 12/26/13 11:07 AM

The new Ruger is getting lots of accolades on this and other hunting forums these days. Its trigger is easily adjusted, but I can't say how it stacks up against the AccuTrigger. Academy has them for $349 now and may reduce them even further after Christmas. BassPro may do the same. You can always use your gift card for a scope or ammo if the gun goes on sale elsewhere.

Frankly, I'm thinking about buying a Ruger just to play with myself, although I can't think of a single legitimate reason why I need another rifle.....
Posted By: Hoytman

Re: which of these two rifles? - 12/26/13 12:16 PM

Savage anyday!
Posted By: Hunt n Fish

Re: which of these two rifles? - 12/26/13 01:16 PM

Originally Posted By: dawaba
... I can't think of a single legitimate reason why I need another rifle.....

Since when does a man have to have a reason for needing another rifle? I thought "because I wanted one" was good enough. confused2

Man can't have too many guns! cheers
Posted By: GHale

Re: which of these two rifles? - 12/26/13 01:54 PM

I'd go with the Savage. I have one in 7mm-08 and another in 30-06. Both very accurate and triggers can be adjusted by gunsmith. Just sold a Ruger American that I bought and sold without shooting because the stock was pretty flimsy. Heard good reports on them though.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: which of these two rifles? - 12/26/13 02:32 PM

I'd keep the gift card and save up some more money and buy a M77 hawkeye, browning X-bolt or a winchester
Posted By: wetduck

Re: which of these two rifles? - 12/26/13 03:23 PM

Savage just cause you can rebarrel when you get bored
Hnf and i could get along i think
Posted By: Hopedale

Re: which of these two rifles? - 12/26/13 03:45 PM

I think you could go with either rifle and be satisfied, but if you go with the Savage, do plan on upgrading the scope.

I bought a Savage 110 combo from Walmart as my first rifle. The scope sucked and according the review of the 111 nothing has changed. Its understandable because if they put a decent scope on the rifle it blows its price point out of the water.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: which of these two rifles? - 12/26/13 03:50 PM

I'd go with the Ruger American, but I would personally prefer to save up a few more bucks and get a Tikka or the Ruger Hawkeye. I have both and am really fond of both. The Tikka is a bit more accurate.
Posted By: Black Ice

Re: which of these two rifles? - 12/26/13 04:01 PM

I would go savage.
Posted By: ImBillT

Re: which of these two rifles? - 12/26/13 06:05 PM

I'm no fan of savage, but you're never gonna modify the gun and can't afford a Tikka or a high priced rem 700 I would get the savage. The cheap rem 700's are junk. I buy them to put new stocks and barrels on.
Posted By: JBJTX81

Re: which of these two rifles? - 12/27/13 02:43 AM

Have the ruger American in 308. I got it back in Nov. Worked up some reloads that are shooting ABT .7". I'd say the American is the best cheap rifle on the market
Posted By: Growin Wild Outdoors

Re: which of these two rifles? - 12/27/13 03:50 AM

savage
Posted By: jcneef

Re: which of these two rifles? - 12/27/13 04:26 AM

savage up
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum