Texas Hunting Forum

Bend Texas hunting

Posted By: xbow

Bend Texas hunting - 12/11/13 01:13 PM

I just got a last minute invite to a hunting ranch, Leaning Bluff Lodge, in Bend, TX on the Colorado river. That's the great news, but it is the last weekend in December so hunting is going to be tough. Anyone ever hunted in this area ? How is the deer quality ? Is it low fence or high fence ? Obviously my chances of a PB trophy over 150 is SLIM at the end of the year wherever I hunt on LF property but are the opportunities there at this location ?
Posted By: TxAg

Re: Bend Texas hunting - 12/11/13 03:12 PM

Originally Posted By: xbow
but it is the last weekend in December so hunting is going to be tough. Obviously my chances of a PB trophy over 150 is SLIM at the end of the year wherever I hunt on LF property but are the opportunities there at this location ?

What makes you say that? Late-season in that area can be very productive. Bucks are on a post-rut pattern, and are hitting food sources as they try to put weight back on. Deer movement overall can be pretty good as many of the natural groceries have died out. I would take late-December over early-November any day.
Posted By: Krayton K

Re: Bend Texas hunting - 12/11/13 04:35 PM

LOTS OF DEER ON THE FARM LAND ALONG THE RIVER. USE TO SEE A 100 DEER AT A TIME IN THE PEANUT FIELDS IN NOVEMBER. MY OLD COLLEGE ROOMATES FAMILY FARMED A LOT OF LAND ALONG THE RIVER IN BEND.
Posted By: TakeMeLord

Re: Bend Texas hunting - 12/13/13 02:19 AM

I hunted Bend a lot from 1982 to about 1986. Lots of deer. I once hung a blind deep in the woods. Walked into it only once in the whole season. Saw an ancient monster. really large for that area. He was just too smart.
Posted By: copperhead

Re: Bend Texas hunting - 12/13/13 11:08 PM

I've hunted both sides of the river there, there are some big ones there. Although it was years ago, I shot a 14 pt on the 23rd of Dec, they are definitely looking for food sources that time of year. Good luck, and let us know how you did.
Posted By: Branden

Re: Bend Texas hunting - 12/13/13 11:45 PM

Always think positive, to me the last two weeks of season is the best bucks are hungry and eating up. Good luck to you.
Posted By: Western

Re: Bend Texas hunting - 12/14/13 12:35 AM

I dont know that area, but sounds good the way the guy's are talking. I'm thinking it's an invite, so....if ya don't want to go,,call me...LOL
Posted By: Buckenvy

Re: Bend Texas hunting - 12/14/13 01:14 AM

If your Near Colorade Bend state park, your chances of a 150" are better than you think!! We have hunted draw and standby there several times. Sitting in camp would see 100's of deer at a time!! I hunted the river at park and seen 18 130-160 bucks at 1 sitting...and only allowed doe or spike! GOOD LUCK!!! the draw hunt are in January
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum