Texas Hunting Forum

Nightime awareness at deer camp

Posted By: TPACK

Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/22/13 01:43 PM

I spend a lot of time at our lease by myself because I work 3/12 hr. days(fri., sat.,su.) and have all week off. I will strap on my 1911 pretty often when it gets dark and I am outside by the campfire and cook shack that is fully lit up, just because I feel better with it on me. There are no houses close to us and camp is 1/2 mile from the gate. We are not close to the border at all. I just do not want to be surprised by anything or anyone and be 60 ft. away from a firearm..I also keep my AR-15 loaded with a full magazine in my camper at nighttime also. It is better to be safe than sorry. Anyone else feel the same way or do you think that is being to precautious.
Posted By: tShawnB

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/22/13 03:03 PM

Are you hunting in Afghanistan?
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/22/13 03:06 PM

Nope. When I am at the lease by myself, I run around in my underwear and boots, sit by the fire with a cold one and just relax. If I was that tense in the woods when I was by myself, I wouldn't go. My goal is to get away from it all, not worry about someone jumping out of a bush to get me.
Posted By: jshouse

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/22/13 03:06 PM

Originally Posted By: tShawnB

grin
Posted By: Leonardo

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/22/13 03:07 PM

Originally Posted By: txshntr
Nope. When I am at the lease by myself, I run around in my underwear and boots, sit by the fire with a cold one and just relax. If I was that tense in the woods when I was by myself, I wouldn't go. My goal is to get away from it all, not worry about someone jumping out of a bush to get me.

x2

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/22/13 03:12 PM

it is still surprising to me how many "men" i know that are afraid of the dark, one buddy seems to always have something break or "forgets" something back at camp that he has to go get that allows him to walk to his stand juuuusst after the sun comes up. another one will only watch scary movies at his house where he can fast forward the movie through the scary parts so he can rewind it and watch it without being surprised. nancy's.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/22/13 03:19 PM

I am not scared of the dark or anything in the woods, but my place in east TX is VERY isolated and meth heads have ransacked the house a couple of times. I have had an occasional vehicle pull up to the gate (which is at the end of a mile long drive through NF land) , see my truck, and quickly leave.

So I keep my Glock handy at all times-especially if I am alone.
Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/22/13 03:36 PM

I stay at the same preparedness level all the time, or at least try to... I don't wear a handgun much, but there is usually one close. I don't carry a sidearm while hunting. There's not much use for a 9mm or 45acp when the 308 I am carrying didn't do the trick.
Posted By: TAT

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/22/13 03:37 PM

Just relax and have fun.
Posted By: G-Man

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/22/13 03:43 PM

I'm a firm believer in I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. I always have at least a pistol on me at camp or a rifle in the truck if I'm running around the lease rather it's day or night. I've taken numerous pigs and snakes because I'm prepared.
Posted By: Jasb

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/22/13 03:57 PM

Yeah if I felt that way while hunting I'd try something else! Maybe you should take up building model trains...
Posted By: PrimitiveHunter

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/22/13 04:06 PM

I used to hunt around Fairfield. One day I was in camp alone and I heard somebody calling out (I was in my little camper). I stuck my head out and this big guy has walked over a mile in from the gate and immediately starts demanding money. Says his family hasn't given him his share of the lease money and he's there to collect. When I stepped out in the open with a Colt Python on my hip, the dynamics changed instantly. I told him his money problem was his problem and to get out of my camp. He was happy to do just that. I guarantee it wouldn't have gone that way had I been unarmed.
Posted By: kry226

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/22/13 04:40 PM

If legal, I'll always be packing. It has nothing to do with being uptight, scared of the dark, or a Nancy.

Never know when a situation can turn south...and they usually do so in a hurry.

At the end of the day, you choose to either be a sheep or a sheepdog.

I choose to be the sheepdog.
Posted By: BlackSnake

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/22/13 04:44 PM

I almost always pack. Not paranoid at all. Just prepared.
Posted By: gonefishing-2day

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/22/13 04:53 PM

Originally Posted By: G-Man
I'm a firm believer in I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. I always have at least a pistol on me at camp or a rifle in the truck if I'm running around the lease rather it's day or night. I've taken numerous pigs and snakes because I'm prepared.
Have to agree.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/22/13 04:54 PM

Dead men tell no lies, especially without any witnesses nearby.

While I don't always have my handgun within reach, I keep it loaded and know where it is in case I need it.

It's definitely not an issue of being afraid of the dark, having chased behind coonhounds at night, often alone, for many years. Given the state of today's society, there is little I take for granted.
Posted By: TX_LT230FH

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/22/13 04:55 PM

We've had escaped convicts captured less than a mile away and the omni-present meth heads are always a factor.
Be silly not to carry.
Posted By: Dry Fire

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/22/13 04:55 PM

We have a rule. No loaded guns can be carried in camp. Before we enter, all rifles are unloaded. Pistols are removed and left inside the cabin.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/22/13 04:56 PM

My dog is always with me and if he ain't worried neither am I. If he goes to barking it's cool. If he goes to growling, then I may ease on inside and arm myself. Most of the time I just throw a little more wood on the fire to brighten things up and he settles down. Me and the dog spend a lot of time at our home away from home so we just relax as if we were at home. Shotgun behind the front door, handgun in the dresser drawer is good enough.
Posted By: jskin

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/22/13 04:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Dry Fire
We have a rule. No loaded guns can be carried in camp. Before we enter, all rifles are unloaded. Pistols are removed and left inside the cabin.

I can respect this but is it because you hunt with people you can't trust?
Posted By: Nivlac

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/22/13 04:58 PM

Nothing wrong with being prepared. Creeps and weirdos have a way of popping up from nowhere. Just dont get trigger happy on us TPACK
Posted By: cameron00

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/22/13 05:07 PM

I line my camp perimeter with landmines.

Always sleep well.
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/22/13 05:09 PM

One of the biggest things I love about hunting is it has eased my son's fear of the dark to where he can now lead the pack in the dark and not feel scared (or if he does he just hides it really well). He used to be scared to go upstairs in the house by himself, now, he walks woods in total (as total as it can get with no moon) darkness with a thermal imager looking for yotes and hogs...love it.

I have no problem with people being prepared, and I would probably pack heat if I hunted in ETx or had issues of people randomly coming into camp or poaching etc, but I am more like txshntr in that I want to go out there to get away from it all, not worry more...time to move to a different place if you gotta worry that much about predators at your current place.
Posted By: Captain Luke

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/22/13 05:19 PM

I've had run-ins with people (smugglers, immigrants) before at some leases, especially close to the border. I've had vagabonds silently creep up to our camp our on SPI when I was a young boy. You never know what or who will come out of nowhere. I always carry a pistol. JIC
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/22/13 05:21 PM

good idea, especially if the drinking is beginning to commence.
Posted By: My stand is pink camo

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/22/13 05:24 PM

Never feared anything until a few years ago when we started finding trash in our stands. realmad Now I stay well prepared and protected day and night!!! I do have fear now and that really stinks when I used to feel so safe and stress free frown
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/22/13 05:25 PM

I think the OP must be harboring some childhood fear of the dark. I don't have an ar and have never felt the need to keep one loaded in my trailer.

In my opinion you going to run into to kinds of people most likely, illegals and smuglers. If illegals they will most likely be friendly and a gun isn't needed if they are smuglers all the guns you got aint gonna save you.

Heck we haven't finished our camphouse and have an outdoor shower... I don't take my pistol with me then either. I do however take it with me to check hog taps... when I would have a legit need for it.
Posted By: RICK O'SHAY

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/22/13 05:35 PM

HA HA what a kitty.... I have 2 nieces that go to the lease alone and sometimes together and they don't worry at all.

Ok ok, when I'm down there alone I have a side arm handy too...
(meow, I guess)

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/22/13 05:54 PM

i'm not saying dont have a loaded weapon nearby or maybe even on your hip (i love those guys) but turning on all the lights and having a 1911 on your hip and a 30 round mag ready to go inside the cabin? c'mon, lighten up, relax, run around in your underwear....
Posted By: sunsetroosters

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/22/13 06:01 PM

I stay strapped up at home and at the lease.... If you hear a crazy story on the news with me in it, I'm gonna be the one that made it lol.... There's always a loaded pistol somewhere near me.... And I've never hunted where they have hogs before so now I usually have one on me....
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/22/13 07:59 PM

Originally Posted By: hook_n_line
My dog is always with me and if he ain't worried neither am I. If he goes to barking it's cool. If he goes to growling, then I may ease on inside and arm myself. Most of the time I just throw a little more wood on the fire to brighten things up and he settles down. Me and the dog spend a lot of time at our home away from home so we just relax as if we were at home. Shotgun behind the front door, handgun in the dresser drawer is good enough.
My dog keeps me safe. As long as he's not growling we're good. We are a mile and a half from the hiway. Kind of a unique setup. I can hear anyone driving down our main road. I always have a weapon nearby, but I usually don't give it any thought. A few years ago a couple of convicted felons(one was a murderer) escaped the Granbury jail. I carried until they were caught. I'm also reminded of the couple in Palo pinto county that were murdered in their farmhouse a few years ago. I don't think the person(s) were ever caught.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/22/13 08:07 PM

I lived 35 miles east of Cotulla and my closest neighbor that lived year round at 7 miles away. I was 3 miles off the highway back in the ranch. I carried a pistol the first 6-8 months all the time when out on the ranch. I learned there was just not that much illegal traffic in that area due to lack of drinkable water and river crossing along the Nueces. After that I never worried about it and left it in my cleaning bag to use in deer season. I always had a rifle with during season and shotgun for snakes in the Ranger year round. IRRC I only saw 2 small groups and one single illegal in 3 year of living there.

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/22/13 08:11 PM

IMO some of these comments trying to one-up each other as an internet "Billy Bad-[censored]" are hilarious. smile
Posted By: Cast

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/22/13 09:07 PM

I would have a problem with that. Unless you have a good reason...

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/22/13 09:10 PM

^^ Stir it up NP, stir it up.

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/22/13 09:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Cast
^^ Stir it up NP, stir it up.

Just an observation. smile
Posted By: NTX270

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/22/13 09:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
IMO some of these comments trying to one-up each other as an internet "Billy Bad-[censored]" are hilarious. smile

I agree ... kinda reminds me of a movie character.

Posted By: Greg

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/22/13 09:49 PM

Originally Posted By: hook_n_line

man that sounds like a great place to be cheers
Posted By: Spent Brass

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/22/13 09:49 PM

Rather have it and not need it. Too much meth being cooked and smoked in our general vicinity, everybody around us has been broke in or ransacked in the last few weeks. For me it's easier to carry a gun on me than have to run to get to one in the camp house or truck.
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/22/13 09:55 PM

Whaddaya mean? I always carry a 1911 AND a 44 mag. You never know when you might get charged by a wounded beer can.
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/22/13 10:30 PM

You can "get away from it all" all you want, and I'm all for that, but sometimes they bring it all to you. I hunted my land (don't live there) for 20 some-odd years alone without a care in the world. 5 years ago things changed. I showed up that day and the porta-pottie was full, and things were missing (2 tv's and a few other things). Since that day I carry when there, day or night.

edited to add: A buddy of mine showed me pics a few years ago of 5 people in front of his game cam. They were men and women, all armed, and all obviously out of their minds on something. The pic was taken 15 minutes before he got to his stand. He didn't see the pic until after his hunt and said it was probably the scariest thing he's ever seen in the woods, knowing they could have been right there close to him the whole time, and I agree with him.
Posted By: My stand is pink camo

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/22/13 10:43 PM

Last year I was at one end of our property the same time a game cam snapped a pic of a poacher at the other end of my property. I thought I was the only one there eeks333
Posted By: deerslayer78

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/22/13 10:50 PM

X2... Makes me think there is a history of irresponsible shooting going on there.
Posted By: mattm

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/22/13 11:16 PM

I have a standing policy to always be prepared to defend myself; I pack heat every day. I'm not uptight or more stressed when I'm at camp and armed, quite the opposite infact. I usually keep a tactical 12ga within arms reach and have never been more relaxed. I think the guys that scoff at those taking precautions have never had an "incident", I never have myself, but if I do I plan to be on the winning end of it. I'm not niave to think it wouldn't happen. I say, arm up!

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/22/13 11:23 PM

Originally Posted By: deerslayer78

X2... Makes me think there is a history of irresponsible shooting going on there.

That's pretty common, actually. Depends on the camp. Mine's all close family and trusted friends so carry what you want when you want. Some places, where there may be someone there you have hardly ever met and don't really know, it would help me relax a bit for sure. Especially around the campfire.
Posted By: Hunt n Fish

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/22/13 11:39 PM

Neither confirm or deny! confused2
Posted By: weatherston

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/22/13 11:50 PM

My wife and I live about two miles south west of the check point. Traffic like you would not believe. We keep guns very near by at all times. We also have dogs that are loose and pretty much go everywhere with us. Desperate people do desperate things and I want to be prepared to deal with what ever I may need to. But at the same time we feel pretty safe here or we would not be raising our infant son out here.
Posted By: caddokiller

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/22/13 11:52 PM

This
Posted By: aeb

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/22/13 11:58 PM

Originally Posted By: tShawnB

x2

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/23/13 12:41 AM

Originally Posted By: caddokiller

This

That's great until you see a boot-print that isn't yours. Then you start wondering.
Posted By: S.A. hunter

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/23/13 12:55 AM

This is funny. Reminds me of that fat kid vern from stand by me. Standing guard next to the tree.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/23/13 01:05 AM

It's seven miles from our locked front gate to camp. I relax and don't worry about strangers. If my camp was in walking distance of a often used road, I'd be packing at camp. If we were near the border and had the illegal traffic, I'd be packing as well.

Thankfully I can sit around in my underwear with house slippers on drinking all the beer I want and only have to worry about racoons stealing my beer or snacks if I fall asleep in my chair next to the fire. smile cheers
Posted By: janie

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/23/13 01:19 AM

Guys and gals, this world would sure be boring, if we all did everything, the exact same way. smile

No need to carry at camp. I run around in my underwear too. Tends to scare everything away within a 5 mile radius.

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/23/13 01:37 AM

LOL Janie! There is a sweet older man who sort of watches over my place. Seems like every time I decide to lounge around in my undies he shows up. Poor man probably thinks I hate wearing clothes. smile
Posted By: cliffie

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/23/13 01:59 AM

Land mines? Satchel charges with trip wires work real good! :-)
Posted By: MarkE

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/23/13 02:08 AM

Originally Posted By: Leonardo

x2

X3 - Interesting "big talk" on this thread!

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/23/13 02:25 AM

The problem is a common one on here-stupid logical leaps. Just because someone has a weapon handy doesn't mean they are scared Nancys worried about someone jumping out from behind every bush.

My pistol is a tool I have handy just in case it's needed. I also keep a hammer in my truck toolbox but that doesn't mean I go around thinking about building stuff.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/23/13 02:40 AM

I lock and load in the morning before hunting time, when I quit hunting in the AM I unload. Then load again before the evening hunt, and again unload after the evening hunt. The only visitors we have had in 30 years is the game warden and friends and relatives. They usually show up midafternoon after lunch, visit awhile and then head on out.

It is about 150 yards to a Farm to Market road, about once a year we might see some illegals walking the highway. We call the Runnels county SO and tell them what we have seen.
Posted By: MarkE

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/23/13 02:42 AM

I also keep a hammer in my truck toolbox but that doesn't mean I go around thinking about building stuff.

LOL...I like that.
"I wear a hammer on my hip when I'm at the lease....just in case I see a nail!"

"I keep a a nail gun in the pickup just in case a loose board slips up on me at night."

Okay, I'm done. clap back
Posted By: jhenderson

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/23/13 02:45 AM

At the lease I almost always carry. Not scared, not worried but let's face it I'd rather be prepared. Hunt some in east Texas and worry more there than anywhere else. I also keep a loaded pistol by my bed at home does that make me scared? I don't think so with the past few months several houses being broken into.

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/23/13 02:46 AM

The problem is a common one on here-stupid logical leaps. Just because someone has a weapon handy doesn't mean they are scared Nancys worried about someone jumping out from behind every bush.

My pistol is a tool I have handy just in case it's needed. I also keep a hammer in my truck toolbox but that doesn't mean I go around thinking about building stuff.

Go back and re-read the OP there nancy boy, then we can discuss how some make "stupid logical leaps." grin
Posted By: Big Kid X21

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/23/13 02:59 AM

Originally Posted By: MarkE
I also keep a hammer in my truck toolbox but that doesn't mean I go around thinking about building stuff.

LOL...I like that.
"I wear a hammer on my hip when I'm at the lease....just in case I see a nail!"

"I keep a a nail gun in the pickup just in case a loose board slips up on me at night."

Okay, I'm done. clap back

If I could get my wife to come to camp with me I might use the hammer more often myself!
Posted By: Big Kid X21

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/23/13 03:00 AM

By the way I think I've seen jshouse in camp with a MAC 10 before. bolt
Posted By: MMTX

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/23/13 03:09 AM

What he said.
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
Dead men tell no lies, especially without any witnesses nearby.

While I don't always have my handgun within reach, I keep it loaded and know where it is in case I need it.

It's definitely not an issue of being afraid of the dark, having chased behind coonhounds at night, often alone, for many years. Given the state of today's society, there is little I take for granted.
Posted By: aeb

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/23/13 03:37 AM

The only time I carry is when I go to town after dark.
Posted By: TxDispatcher

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/23/13 03:38 AM

Sure are a lot of you fellers who enjoy running around in your skivvies at deer camp scared no wonder y'all never see any deer around camp! grin
Posted By: BMD

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/23/13 03:42 AM

Originally Posted By: Jasb
Yeah if I felt that way while hunting I'd try something else! Maybe you should take up building model trains...

rofl
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/23/13 03:44 AM

Originally Posted By: TxDispatcher
Sure are a lot of you fellers who enjoy running around in your skivvies at deer camp scared no wonder y'all never see any deer around camp! grin

Kind of reminds me of that movie where the guy squeals like a pig. On second thought I think it might be a good idea to pack heat!
Posted By: 8th1

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/23/13 03:55 AM

I was on a lease in Edwards county and one of the lease rules was to always carry a side arm.

If you are alone in camp at night with lights on, you can't see more than 30 or 40 yards out. But anyone from a couple of hundred yards can see you, and move in on you and they have the upper hand.
Posted By: FordEvangelist

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/23/13 04:00 AM

When at the lease by myself, I always had a .357 on me. First two were snake-shot and the next four were mammal-shot. ...and easy to rotate the cylinder if needed. Only ever needed the first two though. A dead rattlesnake is the best kind.
Posted By: fishhuntgolfgeek

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/23/13 04:41 AM

I carry at all times (CHL holder). Not because of fear, but for self defense reasons. I've had the unfortunate experience of being approached by six men of unknown documentation with evil intent on their minds. Luckily, I had a .38 snub nose revolver that I displayed and kept everyone at bay. If I did not have the weapon, I may not be here today to tell this story. I was cursed at, threatened, and surrounded by the individuals; but they left me unharmed after I warned them I would shoot the first man who got within arms reach. So HELL YES I carry....it has saved my life. Even in the woods I carry a sidearm. You can never plan when evil will visit upon you....BE PREPARED. flag
PS...my CHL instructor said this when asked should you carry your weapon as much as possible....he said "Obviously, you can't carry your weapon all the times, however, bear in mind the most worthless piece of paper in your wallet would be a CHL license if your unarmed and need it most."
Posted By: target1911

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/23/13 10:13 AM

Same here. I am entirely to far from help if needed and no cell service to call for it. Only one person to take care of me and that's ME.

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/23/13 10:34 AM

Go back and re-read the OP there nancy boy, then we can discuss how some make "stupid logical leaps." grin

I really wasn't addressing the OP-but the wanna be UIBAs who posted making fun of anyone who has a weapon around at all.

I admit the OP seems a little....uhhh....enthusiastic when it comes to preparedness.

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/23/13 12:41 PM

I really wasn't addressing the OP-but the wanna be UIBAs who posted making fun of anyone who has a weapon around at all.

I admit the OP seems a little....uhhh....enthusiastic when it comes to preparedness.

Pretty sure that is what brought out all the Internet BA's....and there is only one UIBA, though here lately there are plenty that would put up a good challenge grin

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/23/13 12:50 PM

Originally Posted By: jskin

I can respect this but is it because you hunt with people you can't trust?

I have hunted with the same group for 30 years. It just evolved. But we have no reason to carry a loaded weapon in camp around other people. Plus our wives do refer to our place as the "Beer Lease" or "Beer Camp"!

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/23/13 12:55 PM

Used to be a nice fella on here, went by the name, Ryno. Ask him how that worked out for him. Accidents happen and when alcohol is involved, the accident rate increases. We just err on the side of caution at our place.
Posted By: Captain Luke

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/23/13 06:25 PM

Originally Posted By: TxDispatcher

I was thinking the same thing too. But, I think I might try that this year if it's not too cold!
Posted By: BigO

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/23/13 07:20 PM

Better to have it and not need it, then the other way...And whats wrong with being a little scared of the dark...most of the bad things that happen to us, happen at night...I love the feeling of wearing my sidearm. call it ego, call it fear, it makes me feel better. No harm, no foul.
Posted By: NTX270

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/23/13 07:22 PM

We had a 60+ year old guy that walked around wearing ONLY old warmup bottoms that are about 3 sizes to small. Yea, try sleeping with that visual bouncing through your head. Lets just say you could tell he was not Jewish ...
Posted By: WTGuide

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/23/13 07:46 PM

I get a motel in nearest city so I don't have to deal with it
Posted By: wacorusty

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/23/13 07:56 PM

It's about 500 yds from the house to the county road. I can see cars from the porch, usually two or three a weekend and they are neighbors. I seldom have a loaded gun, but I will set an unloaded shotgun or rifle on the table. I drink way too much whiskey to be worrying about a pistol on my hip. Even after stumbling over a few rattlers, I don't like packing a pistol for that less than maybe never chance of using it. Now, I'll go through a few boxes plinking, but don't feel the need to get tactical on my retreat.
Posted By: passthru

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/23/13 07:59 PM

Harsh crowd. I like a weapon with me as well. Snakes, pigs, coyotes and other targets of opportunity about. Don't sweat two legged varmints but would work on them too should they need it.

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/23/13 07:59 PM

Did I mention the rattlesnakes?
Posted By: n-all

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/24/13 12:02 AM

The underware deal should be enough..
Posted By: CowboyHomer

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/24/13 01:51 AM

What if you just really like to wear a gun and feel AWESOME?!?!?!? Mens fashion was much kooler when there was a gun on everyones hip smile
Posted By: FreerOrBust

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/24/13 01:58 AM

Hell man I am strapped all the time at my ranch. I still relax just fine but I have had illegal encounters over the years so why risk it.
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/24/13 04:11 AM

Always carry, too many things could happen. Let's just call it preventative measures in this day and age.
Posted By: basspromaster

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/24/13 05:53 AM

I have two dogs that go with me to the lease and will let me know the second anything ain't right. The house is 1/2 mile from the fm road and the gates probably only a mile from the highway but I don't get cell service so along with my dogs I keep a loaded unplugged 12 gauge with double ought buck close by. If I'm by myself I will take it with me when I cook outside on the grill and its by my bedside table. The gun makes me comfortable and keeps me more at ease and that is the main reason. If my friends or family are there then it sits by the front door. I've seen family and friends continue to wear their side arms after the hunt and I have no issue with it. Now if things go from deer camp a few beers and a cigar by the fire to beer camp im a crazy man and im drinking doubles all night wich doesn't happen often the guns are put away. The shot guns location changes as well but is accessible.
Posted By: TPACK

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/24/13 12:40 PM

Wow !! I never thought this post would get this many responses. I am glad I didn`t mention the knife or the hand grenade I carry as well. LOL
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/24/13 12:43 PM

I'm far more at ease away from pavement than on it, but I have had total strangers wander up to my campfire. Turned out to totally harmless and sociable, but still, i wouldnt bank on that if it was to happen again. I just have to wonder about anyone who would approach a hunting camp, knowing that chances are good that someone there would be armed but they do it anyway.

I don't think I'd share a camp or hunt with anyone I don't trust to be wearing a sidearm.

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/24/13 11:46 PM

I've heard of peoples campers and trucks being ransacked while they were on stand. Folks no back up weapons and what not are in camp while you are waiting on Muy Grande.
Posted By: spoons

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/25/13 12:32 AM

Last year 7000 acres in ozona... I took a buddy to lease to just hang out and BS, watch deer etc... Rut kicked in...I ended up letting him take my truck home for me to stay with nothing but a shi++y lease jeep and I stayed myself all the next week till others arrived that weekend and carpooled home... did borrow his pistol to have in camper... I was more worried about getting snake bit than anything else... ranchers house was a jeep ride away if so... I wish times were always simple like that! Shi++Y camper, Shi++y jeep, good food, cold beer, & Not a care in the world!! Ohh well! I'm Thankful to God that I get to drop everything & fish&hunt a few times a year!!!

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/25/13 01:12 AM

Originally Posted By: spoons
I wish times were always simple like that! Shi++Y camper, Shi++y jeep, good food, cold beer, & Not a care in the world!! Ohh well! I'm Thankful to God that I get to drop everything & fish&hunt a few times a year!!!

sounds like my first lease in llano, except the shi++y jeep was a shi++y bronco II that ended up burned to the ground in a creek, but the good food, cold beer, and not a care in the world is right on time.
Posted By: RowdyRankin

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/25/13 02:06 AM

Just in case
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/25/13 02:48 AM

I always carry my pistol at the lease. My biggest concern about being at the lease alone is getting injured while working and not bad guys

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/25/13 02:54 AM

And the pistol will help how? nidea
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/25/13 03:24 AM

Primarily for snakes.
Posted By: TreeBass

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/25/13 04:10 AM

We have a no loaded weapons policy at camp (due to kids). And yes, for the IBA's, our kids are trained and know better than to touch a weapon without adult supervison. You arrive at camp, you unload. Since 99% of the time I'm the only one there, I do have one handy just in case. Its the nature of my job, and I feel nekked without a sidearm grin

Originally Posted By: RowdyRankin

Just in case

Overkill, all you need is the AT4 banana

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/26/13 12:45 PM

I did mention the rattlesnakes.
Posted By: whitewing maniac

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/26/13 02:31 PM

Our camp is bordered up to an old graveyard, it tends to make your mind wonder when by yourself at night. We had a car that was parked in front of our camp, which happens to be a parking lot for cemetery (dirt, leaves and few trees). Anyways this car was there for 2 days. Well the caretaker of the cemetery yells over to us in camp for help.

He says he can't wake the guy up in car, been banging on the glass and he ain't moving. We take a look, "this guy ain't going anywhere but in the ground about 100 yds ahead"!! The back of his head was blown out by the shotgun he had evidently stuck in his mouth. A dead guy was in that car just outside the fence for 2 days and we never knew it.

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/26/13 02:57 PM

Some of you may feel comfortable without a sidearm or any loaded weapon AT HAND. I am fine with that but dont go given the rest of us a bunch of flack because we feel better with a sidearm.

You can call me paranoid if you like, and I could turn that around by calling you an idiot for not. It all comes down to opinion and personal preference. Dodge Ford and Chevy....simple as that.
Posted By: sww

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/27/13 05:45 AM

I always have a sidearm when I'm hunting. I also always have my seven year old with me, and I couldn't forgive myself if something happened to him that could have been prevented with the pistol.
Posted By: dawaba

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/27/13 11:55 AM

Originally Posted By: bigbob_ftw

good idea, especially if the drinking is beginning to commence.

Agreed. Drinking and firearms don't mix.
Posted By: dawaba

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/27/13 12:12 PM

Originally Posted By: RiverRider
I'm far more at ease away from pavement than on it, but I have had total strangers wander up to my campfire.

Years ago, we had some strangers walk up to our fire. It was Rick Perry, back when he was Ag Commissioner, with his dad and his brother.
Posted By: TigerCobra

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/29/13 05:58 AM

I always have my Glock 20 , a machete, axe,shotgun, and my M4 for Zombies and lots of knives and my deer rifle when I'm out in the woods.its hard being a Zombie Hunter wink
Posted By: Finfeathernfurr

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/29/13 06:52 AM

I have first seen this thread I sat and read every post page by page. There are a ton of good debate for both sides. Do what you want as long as it will not offend or injure others at your camp as far as I see. What I know for certin I grew up in a town of less than 200 sleep with the door unlocked and keys in the truck until we had "an incedent " that stopped abruptly. Now that I moved to the metroplex and all my employees are minimum wage people looking for any way to work the system,and hearing thru the walls of things some of them have done. I am never scared or uneasy at all and I work my but off for all my time in the woods and on water it's what I live for. So I'm sure not stressed while I'm there. The bottom line is you can never know what another is capable of In a time of desperation. Bet there wasn't a person found dead in their house unarmed that didn't say unarmed dont shoot. Christmas time leaving my work with money I walk right out the door with my mossberg with 3.5in magnum buck shot. We had been robbed five times in three years before that. Twice most likely inside job have not been robbed after started walking out with it. Just trying to keep an honest person honest. I really feel for those of y'all in close proximity to meth heads I have seen very close at hand what it does to even great people. People that don't understand that have never ever meet a real meathead. More often than not a meth lab is in the middle of nowhere in the woods. Main thing is lets all just stay safe and enjoy the great outdoors the good lord has provided us,provide for our family's,and return home safe. Who cares if you want to be safe at came in your underwear. Heck I feel safe all the time and do not even own a pair so different strokes for different fokes lol still got deer right by camp:)
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/29/13 06:58 AM

Having a firearm available is not being someone who is scared of the dark. C'mon guys. Those of you have said you arent worried because your camp is off the road 7 miles, lights can't be seen from the county road, or you have a locked gate are in denial. Bolt cutters or freeze drying your lock and smashing it with a hammer are easy, and the further way from camp the less chance you will hear it. Another sure sign for those that have camp with electric is for folks to just walk the power lines in. Forget roads, just follow poles. There is no really remote place that the majority of us hunt that desperate people can't find you. Especially in this day of GPS, satellite images, roads and boundary maps. I carry at camp. But not chambered. We do have a rule when you come into camp all rifles are unloaded and sidearms are not chambered. But that is the extent. This is for safety. But I will say when I am out at the ranch by myself, I am locked and loaded at all times. Had too many run ins with druggies and poachers. Just the reality these days.
Posted By: 6InARowMakeItGo

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/29/13 10:46 AM

I carry at the ranch, cause you just never know, but I'm not uptight while I'm there, probably cause I'm carrying. Some of y'all act as though you don't trust yourself enough to have a sidearm on you. grin
Posted By: Grosvenor

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/29/13 03:40 PM

Originally Posted By: target1911
Some of you may feel comfortable without a sidearm or any loaded weapon AT HAND. I am fine with that but dont go given the rest of us a bunch of flack because we feel better with a sidearm.

You can call me paranoid if you like, and I could turn that around by calling you an idiot for not. It all comes down to opinion and personal preference. Dodge Ford and Chevy....simple as that.

Some folks just like playing with their guns more than others.
Posted By: gunnut81

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/29/13 03:48 PM

Fortunately I don't need a camp since I love in close proximity to the places I hunt unless we go on a trip normally south Texas but regardless I always carry ether in the woods or out and about in my daily life. The main difference is that when I get to the woods I take out my concealed carry 9mm and put my 1911 on my hip.
I don't believe in such thing as an unloaded gun too many idiots accidentally shoot some one and say "I didn't know it was loaded".
Posted By: DocJatTTU

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/29/13 05:18 PM

I too carry when Im in the woods alone. I also carry when others are there. Its not fear of the dark its knowing that in the woods we are not the apex predators. We have had hogs walk up to within 15 yards of our campfire and we see bears almost every trip during the spring and summer. I don't know how many of yall have ever been chased by a dominate boar but lemme tell ya when a 300lb animal with tusks is after you Id rather be armed than eaten.
Posted By: LovinLakeLife

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/29/13 06:01 PM

Call me what you want, I always have my sidearm on my hip while in camp. I am not scared of the dark, but the land I hunt is right next to a major highway, and our camp is maybe 200 yards from that. To many weirdos running loose these days, and this has been said several times in this thread, rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/29/13 08:39 PM

Originally Posted By: brucet
Call me what you want, I always have my sidearm on my hip while in camp. I am not scared of the dark, but the land I hunt is right next to a major highway, and our camp is maybe 200 yards from that. To many weirdos running loose these days, and this has been said several times in this thread, rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it
Good point and welcome I live in Richardson too...Sometimes.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/29/13 08:46 PM

around home i know the area well and not much to worry about so i stay pretty relaxed and live in the back of no were... now with the new place in west tx... it reminds me of the hills have eyes and not use to having big cliff all around me were someone can be looking at all times... kinda sketchy lol and all i can hear is a small kid skipping around at night going.... LAAA LA LA LA LAAA LA
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/29/13 08:49 PM

but na i never have a side arm i sleep walk pretty bad and wouldn't want to go on a midnight hunting excursion in my skibbys

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/29/13 09:07 PM

I think there is a correlation between all these skivvies in camp and all these Big Foot sightings.
Posted By: Tx_Phantom

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/29/13 09:24 PM

I think anyone parading around at deer camp in their underwear needs to be shot lol

rifle
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/29/13 09:28 PM

Guess I must be the UIBA hugh?

I think most people just like to play with their gun to much. Ill agree a gun is a tool. I only carry a hammer when Im building something. I will argue the UIBA's are the people who have to have their gun everywhere they go..

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/30/13 12:26 AM

Originally Posted By: redchevy

Guess I must be the UIBA hugh?

I think most people just like to play with their gun to much. Ill agree a gun is a tool. I only carry a hammer when Im building something. I will argue the UIBA's are the people who have to have their gun everywhere they go..

bang bang bang
Posted By: Buck Wilde

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/30/13 12:46 AM

Damn, carry if ya want or don't if it makes ya happy. Deer camp is a stress free zone please...
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: Nightime awareness at deer camp - 10/30/13 12:55 AM

Originally Posted By: Buck Wilde
Damn, carry if ya want or don't if it makes ya happy. Deer camp is a stress free zone please...

+1
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum