Texas Hunting Forum

HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better

Posted By: Texas Hunting Guide 2010

HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/15/13 02:36 PM

More and more Texas ranches are being high fenced for quality management purposes of whitetails and exotics. Low Fence ranchers are starting to see hunters demand better quality whitetails and move to high fence ranches. How do hunters feel about this? How do ranchers feel about the future of High fence hunting?
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/15/13 02:51 PM

It seems to reason that HF would offer better management opportunities and therefore better trophies. I've never hunted HF so I am coming from that perspective but I struggle with "fair chase" in a HF lease.
Posted By: cos

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/15/13 02:53 PM

If we defined the word HUNTING first it would in most cases but not all change the way we look at high fence vs low fence. Personally i am not interested in high fences or how big the deer are behind one!!!
Posted By: westtexaswatkins

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/15/13 02:54 PM

I hunt that which I can afford. A lot of high fence places are out of my budget. I have no problem with them though if they are big enough or provide enough cover.
Posted By: dkershen

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/15/13 03:16 PM

bang Not this topic again...........
Posted By: Kevin_M

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/15/13 03:18 PM

Posted By: skeeter22

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/15/13 03:19 PM

whip
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/15/13 03:21 PM

depends on the ranch. lots of low fence places that have giant deer. I know of deer that scored in excess of 190" that have been shot within 45 min of san antonio on low fence places.

I know alot of high fence places that max out around 150".

high fences do give the opportunity for better managment, and across the board typically offer better hunting because of the managment practices involved.

it was once put to me like this.....its hard to manage your bank account if 3 of your neighbors have access to it. Same scenario goes for high fences.

right, wrong or indifferent, thats where we are at with it

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/15/13 03:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Kevin_M

I bet my boots if the garden of eden was in existance today it would have a high fence around it
Posted By: Alta Loma

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/15/13 03:39 PM

Seriously? I guess the rain is keeping you from beating any dead horses or kicking stray dogs.
Posted By: rifleman

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/15/13 03:52 PM

The gate locks can be cut the same, so it really doesn't matter
Posted By: Mike Honcho

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/15/13 04:23 PM

Txtrophy85 hit the nail on the head. Each ranch has its own nuances so its hard to say fair chase only applies to the LF owners/hunters. I for one don't care but then again I don't shoot from a blind anymore so HF/LF it don't matter when you spot and stalk a wt. we have 1k acres HF and I still see new animals pop up on my cam that I've never actually seen. Hell I thought we had 1 aoudad left and turns out we have 10+
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/15/13 04:34 PM

Originally Posted By: txtrophy85
Originally Posted By: Kevin_M

I bet my boots if the garden of eden was in existance today it would have a high fence around it

And only Baptists would be inside it... peep bolt

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/15/13 04:36 PM

They're be no dancing and drinking...except on Friday & Sat night
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/15/13 04:38 PM

Originally Posted By: rifleman
They're be no dancing and drinking...except on Friday & Sat night

Bingo on Friday night..oh wait that the Catholics...never mind.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/15/13 04:56 PM

Most of the high fence places I have seen popping up are for personal use. The market seems pretty well saturated for paying hunts. Correct me if I am wrong.

Our neighbor who is a relative of our landowner high fenced their place on our southern border a few years ago. He used to own it but gifted it to them. I have still never seen a deer inside the fence so guess they didn't want the cows to get out.
Posted By: Alta Loma

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/15/13 05:03 PM

Originally Posted By: jorge
I for one don't care but then again I don't shoot from a blind anymore so HF/LF it don't matter when you spot and stalk a wt.

Sorry, but I think it does matter.
Posted By: BOONER

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/15/13 05:11 PM

depends on the ranch. lots of low fence places that have giant deer. I know of deer that scored in excess of 190" that have been shot within 45 min of san antonio on low fence places.

high fences do give the opportunity for better managment, and across the board typically offer better hunting because of the managment practices involved.

it was once put to me like this.....its hard to manage your bank account if 3 of your neighbors have access to it. Same scenario goes for high fences.

Not many LF ranches have 190" deer but there are plenty to go around behind a HF if you have the money to spend! Don't care what anyone does but you can't compare the two. Yes there are lots of big HF places that are legit but there are lots of small HF places that are a joke. Can't lump them all in together LF OR HF.
Posted By: Rob Lay

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/15/13 08:35 PM

HF is not more expensive inch for inch. There are big expensive deer on HF, but a LF 170-180 will cost more than HF 170-180 unless you just paid for a hunt and no trophy fee. If you are getting a LF Booner deer regular on camera and think it can be hunted then there are people that will pay $25-30k + if it makes book.

I really believe there is a slow trend and demand for high quality LF hunts.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/15/13 10:09 PM

IMO its whatever makes you happy. In order for me to consider hunting a HF place, it would have to be wild deer on a large enough property with enough cover for me to consider it fair chase hunting.
Posted By: Lonnie Paul Walker Jr.

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/15/13 11:46 PM

D R A M A ,

Its always going to be the Haves, an the Have NOTS !

Pitchfork hit it, what ever makes you happy !

I love them both !
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/16/13 12:04 AM

I'll hunt whichever I please. Why would anyone care?
Posted By: BBD84

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/16/13 12:11 AM

Originally Posted By: Rob Lay
HF is not more expensive inch for inch. There are big expensive deer on HF, but a LF 170-180 will cost more than HF 170-180 unless you just paid for a hunt and no trophy fee. If you are getting a LF Booner deer regular on camera and think it can be hunted then there are people that will pay $25-30k + if it makes book.

I really believe there is a slow trend and demand for high quality LF hunts.
Find me one person that will pay for a booner 25-30K and ill toss you 10% cash, I have access to a ranch that has them on it every year and they dont pay that for the whole place a year.

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/16/13 12:12 AM

Oh and for the board of aprovals I hunt 99% HF and wouldnt have it any other ways. I hunt alot of exotics and maybe 1-2 whitetail a year.

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/16/13 02:02 AM

Originally Posted By: Lonnie Paul Walker Jr.
D R A M A ,

!

Please enlighten us about what the Haves do when it comes to hunting.
Posted By: jshouse

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/16/13 02:05 AM

Originally Posted By: Sneaky

C'mon Sneaky, this is the THF, its the same reason they care if u shoot spikes, or take 600 yard shots, or shoot hogs in the gut, or shoot a 3.5 year old buck, or u say ur buck scored 150 when we all know it wasnt over 130, or u shoot a magum, or u shoot a .223....

And i wouldnt have it any other way.
Posted By: Black02z28

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/16/13 02:30 AM

You can tell when the off season hits when these types of topics pop up
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/16/13 02:33 AM

I can not believe we are doing this again....

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/16/13 02:40 AM

Yes you can!
Posted By: passthru

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/16/13 02:41 AM

I can. rock_on

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/16/13 02:45 AM

You're right, I can. It has been a couple months. popcorn
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/16/13 04:28 AM

Originally Posted By: jshouse
Originally Posted By: Sneaky

C'mon Sneaky, this is the THF, its the same reason they care if u shoot spikes, or take 600 yard shots, or shoot hogs in the gut, or shoot a 3.5 year old buck, or u say ur buck scored 150 when we all know it wasnt over 130, or u shoot a magum, or u shoot a .223....

And i wouldnt have it any other way.

Of course. We need some form of entertainment.

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/16/13 04:59 AM

M O N E Y ,

Think !!!!!

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/16/13 07:55 AM

M O N E Y ,

Think !!!!!

Huh!!! I know lots of people with lots of money that will not hunt HF!!

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/16/13 11:31 AM

So do I, but that is the most common complaint that I hear from hunters !
Posted By: furfinrfeather

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/16/13 12:06 PM

I wish there was a lot more high fence haters, then maybe a few thousand less hunters would be trying to get on the Chaparral WMA. It's high fenced.
Posted By: trjscout

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/16/13 12:19 PM

October 1st national cut a hole in a high fence day, I don't bow hunt so I don't know? just heard tell!
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/16/13 12:48 PM

Originally Posted By: BOONER
M O N E Y ,

Think !!!!!

I know lots of people across all income levels that will not hunt HF.

If there is no difference,wonder why there are so many people who refuse to hunt HF?

nidea

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/16/13 01:31 PM

Not many LF ranches have 190" deer but there are plenty to go around behind a HF if you have the money to spend! Don't care what anyone does but you can't compare the two. Yes there are lots of big HF places that are legit but there are lots of small HF places that are a joke. Can't lump them all in together LF OR HF.

I would not say plenty. A native 190" deer that isn't out of a breeder pen is still a very tall order.

Most of ya'll are confusing a high fence ranch with native genetics with a ranch that manipulates them with pen raised deer or shoots off the native herd altogether and then stocks it with pen raised deer.

I see the entire side of the coin.....we take a low fence place,then high fence it. your still dealing with a the same animals. its not like they are tame. we high fenced a 1000 acre ranch last febuarary. Rumors were that there was a hell of a buck (upper 190's-200") that was living in the area, the neighboring ranch owner shot at him as a 4 year old in the 170's and missed him 3 times. anyway, when the fence went up the buck ended up on our side of the fence. Helcopter guy saw him and the dozer guy saw him as well, and all confirmed his size. No one else saw him the entire year, not at any feeders, on camera, nothing.

by alot of logic on here, he should have immediatly become tame and been shot the first afternoon of hunting season because its a high fence and all animals are tame behind a high fence.

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/16/13 01:31 PM

Originally Posted By: furfinrfeather
I wish there was a lot more high fence haters, then maybe a few thousand less hunters would be trying to get on the Chaparral WMA. It's high fenced.

yeah no joke

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/16/13 01:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
M O N E Y ,

Think !!!!!

If there is no difference,wonder why there are so many people who refuse to hunt HF?

nidea

uneducated and have a misconceptions. I'd be willing to be most hunters on here have never hunted or spent time on a high fence ranch with a native whitetail herd.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/16/13 01:39 PM

D R A M A ,

Pitchfork hit it, what ever makes you happy !

I love them both !

I don't believe that is does come down to have and have not. I am currently part of the have not group. If I were to become part of the have group...Let me rephrase...WHEN I become part of the Have group, instead of booking a HF hunt or buying a HF ranch, I would rather buy or lease a large, good quality LF property. As someone said earlier, I have an issue with fair chase and HF. I know, there are some HF ranches that are so big that some of the deer have never even seen the fence, personally, I just can't get past the feeling that HF deer are livestock, not wild game.

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/16/13 01:47 PM

Originally Posted By: BBD84
Find me one person that will pay for a booner 25-30K and ill toss you 10% cash, I have access to a ranch that has them on it every year and they dont pay that for the whole place a year.

Most LF ranches in Texas and through the midwest have had a Booner around one time or another. Some places have a bunch of Booners. The Illinois outfitter I'm with has clients take 3-4 Booners each year. He has 15-20 hunters a week through the season though and he can rarely target a Booner. It just happens for some of his lucky customers and they're only out the $3,500 outfitter fee. However, he has a contact list he can call if he's got a Booner on pattern, which is rarely. They don't come in unless he thinks pretty good chance at it and they will pay a harvest of $25-30k if it does make book (net).

Look at what King Ranch gets for a Booner. I have also spent a bunch of time last couple months researching LF Texas ranches with great chance at a Booner. You can get these for $8-10k, but that is for a standard hunt and if you happen to take a Booner that’s what you pay. The jump and premium you get $25k for is a patterned deer. Most LF ranches have a contact list they can reach out if they do get on one of these deer.

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/16/13 01:52 PM

M O N E Y ,

Think !!!!!

nidea

uneducated and have a misconceptions. I'd be willing to be most hunters on here have never hunted or spent time on a high fence ranch with a native whitetail herd.

Wouldn't call it uneducated....some folks just don't like the fences bc they can't feel right about it knowing how much traveling deer can do.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/16/13 01:52 PM

Originally Posted By: BBD84

Most LF ranches in Texas and through the midwest have had a Booner around one time or another. Some places have a bunch of Booners. The Illinois outfitter I'm with has clients take 3-4 Booners each year. He has 15-20 hunters a week through the season though and he can rarely target a Booner. It just happens for some of his lucky customers and they're only out the $3,500 outfitter fee. However, he has a contact list he can call if he's got a Booner on pattern, which is rarely. They don't come in unless he thinks pretty good chance at it and they will pay a harvest of $25-30k if it does make book (net).

Look at what King Ranch gets for a Booner. I have also spent a bunch of time last couple months researching LF Texas ranches with great chance at a Booner. You can get these for $8-10k, but that is for a standard hunt and if you happen to take a Booner that’s what you pay. The jump and premium you get $25k for is a patterned deer. Most LF ranches have a contact list they can reach out if they do get on one of these deer.

Rob is talking all-time BC net and he is correct. With big bonus money for any thing breaking 200gross

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/16/13 01:55 PM

M O N E Y ,

Think !!!!!

nidea

Yes I am very uneducated. Keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel better.HF proponents can rationalize with the best of them I have come to find. smile

P.S. The reason your 190 buck will not be fair chase if you kill it and thus ineligible for B&C is because it cannot escape your 1000 acres. I don't care how smart he is, you have locked him in, so you know he is there on your place and there he will remain.The conditions are now your conditions, not nature's. Doesn't even take a lot of education to understand that concept. Please explain how the fact that he now cannot escape your place is a misconception.

His elusiveness is a testament to his wit.

Locking him in is a testament to man's desire to gain an unfair advantage. This is usually under the guise of "management"-as if management cannot be accomplished under fair chase conditions. What "management" really means in the context of HF is "So no one else can have a chance to take "my" animals." Just putting lipstick on the pig.

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/16/13 05:14 PM

Uh, so which is better??

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/16/13 05:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Txduckman
Uh, so which is better??

I'm not sure...I'm from ETX so I shoot everything that moves whether it's roaming free or tied up to a tree.
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/16/13 05:24 PM

Wow...I knew there was a reason the deer pop was down in E TX and now I know why! Your shooting everything. I knew it didn't have anything to do with bag limits or ARs!

hammer

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/16/13 05:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Txduckman
Uh, so which is better??

The fact that many have to ask that question is a sad testament to the state of hunting in Texas.....
Posted By: LuckyHunter

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/16/13 05:52 PM

I've went on 6 Elk hunts and spent thousands. I went Elk camping, Elk tracking, Elk;You should have been here yesterday, Small 5 x5 and once a nice 6x6 300 bull. Finally I went to Canada on a well managed HF ranch. Had a great time and scored on a 390 bull! I put in my dues. Did I Elk hunt? YES.

After 20 years on deer leases watching my neighbors shoot every buck I passed. Yes, I went HF whitetail hunting. It was the same when I pull the trigger just bigger deer.

Finally after spending a lot of money maintaining a yearly deer lease we added up how much we spent, Gas, Feed, Improvements, Lease fee.... We now take those same funds and go Caribou, Muskox, Black Bear , etc... hunting yearly.

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/16/13 06:00 PM

Originally Posted By: CFH
I've went on 6 Elk hunts and spent thousands. I went Elk camping, Elk tracking, Elk;You should have been here yesterday, Small 5 x5 and once a nice 6x6 300 bull. Finally I went to Canada on a well managed HF ranch. Had a great time and scored on a 390 bull! I put in my dues. Did I Elk hunt? YES

If you speak of your last experience we will just have to agree to disagree. If you are prouder of the 390 than the smaller 6x6 and 5x5-you have missed the entirety of the real hunting experience IMO. You have many "diamonds", yet your quest was for cubic zirconia.

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/16/13 06:01 PM

I'm going to go out on a limb and say some folks on the forum may feel there's a little difference between hunting GMUs in the States, that can be almost a million acres, and a pen in Canada. I could be wrong though and they may feel that you did put in your dues.

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/16/13 06:03 PM

Never said I was any more proud of one than the other. Don't read anything into a post thats not there!

It is never about success it's the experience. I have been blessed with a lot of different experiences.

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/16/13 06:09 PM

Never said I was any more proud of one than the other. Don't read anything into a post thats not there!

Well I'll put it this way then: the twain do not meet.

You paid your dues for the 6x6 and the 5x5.
You paid your dollars for the 390.

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/16/13 06:11 PM

The fact that many have to ask that question is a sad testament to the state of hunting in Texas.....

It isn't even worth discussing. Fun for the first couple pages and first couple threads, then it gets old. You have to remember especially in the off season there are mostly land owners, game managers, and brokers active on THF. They have a more vested interest in the high fence story line, understandable. Low fence hunters like us are challenged for our beliefs, it is bad for business to have "low fence only" hunters like us expressing personal opinions. Certainly there are plenty of opinions allowed pro-high fence and I think that is perfectly fine. I'm fine with THF if they keep a balanced approach and allow respectful opinions from both sides equally, shouldn't be any preference. You can have an opinion on your own side without being a jerk and expecting everyone else to have your same opinion. I'm fine if others want to hunt HF.
Posted By: STXHO

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/16/13 06:23 PM

I just jumped in this thread and I am not going to waste time reading the last 3 pages because I already can figure that the arguments are. But I will tell you the facts.....

High fenced ranches = bigger bucks
High fenced ranches = easier to managed b-d ratio

Low fenced ranches= all native genetics
Low fenced ranches = harder to managed and deer take longer to grow

In my humble opinion- I would rather hunt a low fenced ranch, but I have hunted on and still hunt some very large low fence ranches in South Tx. It is a full time job during the season and off season to manage the herd. On a high fence ranch you almost always know what you have and where it is at, way easier to cull deer.

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/16/13 06:29 PM

If I spend dollars to sit on the first row on the 50 yards line, or in a suite, is the game any less enjoyable than sitting in the end zone?

Have fun and be blessed.

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/16/13 06:29 PM

Originally Posted By: STXHUNTINGOUTFITTERS
I just jumped in this thread and I am not going to waste time reading the last 3 pages because I already can figure that the arguments are. But I will tell you the facts.....

High fenced ranches = bigger bucks
High fenced ranches = easier to managed b-d ratio

Low fenced ranches= all native genetics
Low fenced ranches = harder to managed and deer take longer to grow

In my humble opinion- I would rather hunt a low fenced ranch, but I have hunted on and still hunt some very large low fence ranches in South Tx. It is a full time job during the season and off season to manage the herd. On a high fence ranch you almost always know what you have and where it is at, way easier to cull deer.

I agree. And easier to do everything else-including killing the biggun.

If easy is the goal, HF is certainly the answer. But that's kind of the point of why it is not the same.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/16/13 06:33 PM

I only hunt the best fences...the ones that arnt mine

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/16/13 06:34 PM

If I spend dollars to sit on the first row on the 50 yards line, or in a suite, is the game any less enjoyable than sitting in the end zone?

Have fun and be blessed.

No.

But with HF it is not the same game.More akin to WWE than the NFL as a more appropriate analogy IMO.

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/16/13 06:35 PM

Have fun and be blessed.

No.

But with HF it is not the same game.More akin to WWE than the NFL as a more appropriate analogy IMO.

Not always. I have done hunts on HF ranches that has been harder hunting than on LF ranches.

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/16/13 06:40 PM

Originally Posted By: STXHUNTINGOUTFITTERS

Have fun and be blessed.

No.

Not always. I have done hunts on HF ranches that has been harder hunting than on LF ranches.

Deer are more wary in some places than others. That is not the point. That the HF locks them in is the game-changer.
Posted By: don k

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/16/13 07:01 PM

I only hunt HF because the animals taste better.
Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/16/13 07:33 PM

I am considering a steer hunt this year. Looking for grass fed and then maybe a couple of months of feed, no hormones or drugs though. More of a custom finishing feed job. Want it to be released from the pen though before the stalk.

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/16/13 07:35 PM

Originally Posted By: TurkeyHunter
I am considering a steer hunt this year. Looking for grass fed and then maybe a couple of months of feed, no hormones or drugs though. More of a custom finishing feed job. Want it to be released from the pen though before the stalk.

I gotcha covered what quality you want...standard, choice, prime?
Posted By: DustyWyoming

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/16/13 07:36 PM

So I am guessing that all the people who say hunting HF is not giving the deer a fair chance are also the same guys who will not use cover scents, rifles, the latest and greatest bow, game cams, feeders, blinds and the list goes on...
All of those things swing the favor to the hunter and in a lot of the western states the people think that stands and baiting are unfair and not really hunting..
Hunting is about who you spend the time with and what you make of it while you are there.....

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/16/13 07:51 PM

Originally Posted By: DustyWyoming
So I am guessing that all the people who say hunting HF is not giving the deer a fair chance are also the same guys who will not use cover scents, rifles, the latest and greatest bow, game cams, feeders, blinds and the list goes on...
All of those things swing the favor to the hunter and in a lot of the western states the people think that stands and baiting are unfair and not really hunting..
Hunting is about who you spend the time with and what you make of it while you are there.....

To each their own within the laws.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/16/13 08:04 PM

I see no difference.

We have several deer that we have pictures of for 3-4 years straight that come like clock work. I shot one of them last year out of a deer blind. We are low/no fence. I don't think the fence has much to do with it, I think it is management and how the place is treated.

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/16/13 08:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Navasot

Well played sir.

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/16/13 08:07 PM

Have fun and be blessed.

No.

Yeah because those Hi fence deer are all waiting in line to jump on a plain an fly to Hawaii.. They aint going anywhere anyway
Posted By: cameron00

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/16/13 08:09 PM

I think we can all agree that HF hunting is better because you get bigger and better deer and that people that don't like HF hunting only have that opinion because they're bitter and petty and can't afford to hunt a HF?

Surely we can all agree on that, right men? I don't see anything work arguing there...
Posted By: BMD

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/16/13 08:13 PM

I rather talk about Savage and Remington. popcorn

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/16/13 08:19 PM

Originally Posted By: BMD
I rather talk about Savage and Remington. popcorn

You've been a savage lover from way back right.. bolt
Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/16/13 08:19 PM

Well prime of course. Not interested in an exotic like a Wagyu though.

chef
Posted By: Texas Hunting Guide 2010

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/16/13 08:22 PM

So the question is, If there were no high fence ranches now, would hunters be killing numerous 170+bc bucks? Would the antler score still be about the same, say in S. Texas, as it was in the 50's and 60's?
I recall that the odds of taking a 200"bc trophy back then was one per 50,000. Has that ratio improved because of High fence ranches?
So how do hunters feel about having a better opportunity to get a BIG ONE even on a High Fence ranch or would they be just as happy with a little average one on a low fence ranch, just because it is conceived as more fair, WHY?

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/16/13 08:27 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy

Have fun and be blessed.

No.

Yeah because those Hi fence deer are all waiting in line to jump on a plain an fly to Hawaii.. They aint going anywhere anyway

...if that were the case it's about the dumbest waste of money that a landowner would ever consider. Everyone cares too much about what their neighbors are shooting to be the case.

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/16/13 08:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Texas Hunting Guide 2010
So the question is, If there were no high fence ranches now, would hunters be killing numerous 170+bc bucks? Would the antler score still be about the same, say in S. Texas, as it was in the 50's and 60's?
I recall that the odds of taking a 200"bc trophy back then was one per 50,000. Has that ratio improved because of High fence ranches?
So how do hunters feel about having a better opportunity to get a BIG ONE even on a High Fence ranch or would they be just as happy with a little average one on a low fence ranch, just because it is conceived as more fair, WHY?

Well lets see back in he 50' and 60's deer were decimated by as I am told by over hunting and screw worm. There was no supplemental feeding and something I frequently herd my grandfather say was the one with the spots are tenderer.

You cant compare the two times.

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/16/13 09:29 PM

Originally Posted By: cameron00
I think we can all agree that HF hunting is better because you get bigger and better deer and that people that don't like HF hunting only have that opinion because they're bitter and petty and can't afford to hunt a HF?

Surely we can all agree on that, right men? I don't see anything work arguing there...

Lol! No we can't agree on your first statement. It's one of the dumber ones in this thread.

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/16/13 09:32 PM

chef

For the right price ill put you on a wild angus... 100% kill opportunity

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/16/13 09:34 PM

Good Lord can you not read?

Because one is hunting and one is shooting animals in a pen. Is it all about size of antlers to you HF guys? Is fair chase not a consideration in hunting anymore?Crap just buy a mount at an estate sale and hang it on the wall then.
Posted By: BradyBuck

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/16/13 09:37 PM

Originally Posted By: cameron00

Lol! No we can't agree on your first statement. It's one of the dumber ones in this thread.

And the statements that follow the first are just as dumb.

HF hunting does nothing for me. I'll take a free range 160 over any HF buck any day of the week. If you offered me a free HF I'd take it. if a big 200+ walks out with tag in his ear... DRT!

I'm just saying my preference is quality, mature, low fence bucks.

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/16/13 09:40 PM

More is better...

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/16/13 09:43 PM

chef

For the right price ill put you on a wild angus... 100% kill opportunity

Where was this one on the tastiest exotic topic? Sounds great to me!

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/16/13 09:45 PM

Originally Posted By: BradyBuck
I'll take a free range 160 over any HF buck any day of the week.

well dagum, me too! anyone know where i could find one?

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/16/13 09:49 PM

WOW. I'm a Green horn to this forum. I have hunted all over the world. Sad to hear the fighting and better than thou attitudes over LF vs HF. Man I hope Bowhunters vs Rifle hunters don't feel the same toward each other. If so the hunting industry is in trouble.

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/16/13 09:52 PM

WOW. I'm a Green horn to this forum. I have hunted all over the world. Sad to hear the fighting and better than thou attitudes over LF vs HF. Man I hope Bowhunters vs Rifle hunters don't feel the same toward each other. If so the hunting industry is in trouble.

You aint seen nothing yet!! cheers Better put your man panties on.

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/16/13 09:53 PM

Because one is hunting and one is shooting animals in a pen. Is it all about size of antlers to you HF guys? Is fair chase not a consideration in hunting anymore?Crap just buy a mount at an estate sale and hang it on the wall then.

Do all the guys bashing HF hunt feeders if so not a helluva lot of difference wait at feeder shoot deer I don't hunt wt in HF as matter fact I have only shot one HF critter but for the exotics I have no real issue with it and I really could care less how anyone hunts if they enjoy it and keep the tradition alive I really couldn't give a damn how they choose to do it.

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/16/13 09:53 PM

Probably @ your feeder this year in July-Sept...until he goes on vacation until march.

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/16/13 09:54 PM

Originally Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

popcorn For sure!

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/16/13 09:54 PM

popcorn For sure!

welcome
Posted By: Rustler

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/16/13 09:58 PM

We are doomed...

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/16/13 09:58 PM

LF is only harder because it's more difficult to manage the lease hunter.
Posted By: Rustler

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/16/13 09:59 PM

We are doomed...

Folks around here argue over ethical shots on pigs.

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/16/13 09:59 PM

Haven't had a "dogs crossing fence and scaring deer" threads in a while.

Originally Posted By: Rustler
We are doomed...

And magic bullets don't forget the magic bullets

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/16/13 10:00 PM

This poor old dead horse must be a Zombie. You just can't kill it. I know of HF ranches where most that bad mouth them would get lost and probably sh*t themselves to death crying for momma before they could find their way out. Most that are bad mouthing HF were probably born on pavement and have never even hunted LF without a guide.

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/16/13 10:01 PM

We are doomed...

No such thing as an ethical shot on pigs...they're just shots whether in the rooter or tooter

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/16/13 10:02 PM

LF is only harder because it's more difficult to manage the lease hunter.

Yep that is 90% of it for sure! We have great guys and good property and 150's or better go down every year

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/16/13 10:02 PM

We are doomed...

And magic bullets don't forget the magic bullets

++++++++++++++++++P++++++++++++

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/16/13 10:03 PM

Originally Posted By: don k
This poor old dead horse must be a Zombie. You just can't kill it. I know of HF ranches where most that bad mouth them would get lost and probably sh*t themselves to death crying for momma before they could find their way out. Most that are bad mouthing HF were probably born on pavement and have never even hunted LF without a guide.

rofl

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/16/13 10:04 PM

rofl

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/16/13 10:09 PM

High Fence Ranch = $$$$$ thats all it is about is $$$... People pay big $$ to kill big deer. ... They don't care if it is in a 5 acre pen as long as it looks like the picture that was emailed to them and it is breathing before they shoot it. . . . . Times have changed my friend.

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/16/13 10:30 PM

We are certainly living in a bizarre universe when the HF guys talk smack to those that hunt fair chase. You HF shooters are the mountain men and the fair chase guys are city boys now? roflmao

A few posts above the point is how easy the HF is and wondering why all the fuss about fairness?

You HF apologists will say anything. That's all I can come up with.

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/16/13 10:31 PM

Bottom line who gives a damn just hunt up

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/16/13 11:02 PM

We are certainly living in a bizarre universe when the HF guys talk smack to those that hunt fair chase. You HF shooters are the mountain men and the fair chase guys are city boys now? roflmao

A few posts above the point is how easy the HF is and wondering why all the fuss about fairness?

That shows you can't come up with much. Like I said before I know HF ranches if you were dumped in th middleof it with out your phone,gps or compass you would probably cry youself to death before finding your way out.
Posted By: PWT

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/16/13 11:11 PM

I only hunt the best fences...the ones that arnt mine

this
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/16/13 11:14 PM

Neither is better, but they are both better than not hunting. up
Posted By: Aggieivy

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/16/13 11:31 PM

Originally Posted By: dogcatcher

Agreed. This (repeat) thread is the dumbest argument that keeps coming around. Maybe we should argue gun v. bow and trash talk each other about fair chase. This is hunting--not philosophy class.

BTW, I pay more per acre for my low fence lease in South Texas than I ever did hunting high fence leases in East Texas.

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/16/13 11:35 PM

That shows you can't come up with much. Like I said before I know HF ranches if you were dumped in th middleof it with out your phone,gps or compass you would probably cry youself to death before finding your way out.

No it just shows you talk chit to people you don't know a thing about is all.

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/16/13 11:53 PM

HF rocks and LF is for Obama supporters. We should all have a fair advantage to the same deer. PFFFFFFFFFFFFF Get real and get over it. I have hunted LF ranches that were less of a challange than hunting a zoo dang near. Just get in the woods, who gives a rats azz how tall the fence is.

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/16/13 11:55 PM

Probably @ your feeder this year in July-Sept...until he goes on vacation until march.

...we gonna shock the world!

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/17/13 12:06 AM

I have probably forgot more than you will ever know.

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/17/13 12:07 AM

popcorn

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/17/13 12:13 AM

So if I dropped off in this HF ranch...can I shoot whatever to survive until I get bored and follow the fence until it hits the gate & rd...or air strip....
Posted By: Big Tony

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/17/13 12:16 AM

I hate all fences 'cause I hate openin' gates. grin

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/17/13 12:20 AM

I have probably forgot more than you will ever know.[/quote]

Like anyone could ever know that.

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/17/13 12:20 AM

So if I dropped off in this HF ranch...can I shoot whatever to survive until I get bored and follow the fence until it hits the gate & rd...or air strip....

LOL!!! It really sounds scary doesnt it!! confused2

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/17/13 12:24 AM

Originally Posted By: dogcatcher

Amen to that!!! To each their own. Just get out and have fun. And take a kid hunting or fishing its the best thing my dad ever did for me.

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/17/13 12:53 AM

LOL!!! It really sounds scary doesnt it!! confused2

Finding water in that barren country would be the biggest prob.
Posted By: trjscout

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/17/13 01:12 AM

just do like the illegals do walk the high line wires that dead end at the deer camp and then party like rockstars then keep heading north

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/17/13 02:05 AM

It isn't even worth discussing. Fun for the first couple pages and first couple threads, then it gets old. You have to remember especially in the off season there are mostly land owners, game managers, and brokers active on THF. They have a more vested interest in the high fence story line, understandable. Low fence hunters like us are challenged for our beliefs, it is bad for business to have "low fence only" hunters like us expressing personal opinions. Certainly there are plenty of opinions allowed pro-high fence and I think that is perfectly fine. I'm fine with THF if they keep a balanced approach and allow respectful opinions from both sides equally, shouldn't be any preference. You can have an opinion on your own side without being a jerk and expecting everyone else to have your same opinion. I'm fine if others want to hunt HF.

Correction!!!!

No body is challeged for their beliefs until they bast other peoples beleifs.

Just an FYI.

Both have their purpose. Blasting one over the other is stupid, especially when it does effect you in any way

I fault no man or women for highfencing their ranch after all its their damn land they paid for it not me. I hunt low fence, high fence, private, public, state, and federal every year.

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/17/13 02:09 AM

My opinion is that the sky is lime green.....and photoperiod has jack diddly squat to do with triggering teal migration......

they can be wrong as heck. grin:
Posted By: nsmike

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/17/13 02:09 AM

This is dumb, you pay your money and please yourself, what anyone else thinks is irrelevant. If you think the LF/HF debate gets hot, try explaining hunting over a corned sendero, to a northern hunter. You'll end up on the reciving end of the same arguments the LF people use against HF hunters.

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/17/13 02:13 AM

Do you say these things because that is what you would do? Don't project your fears on others just because you never mastered basic woodsman skills.

I get ya, you work hard all year, and you deserve to be driven to a nice, plush blind overlooking a feeder at exactly 100 yards while the "guide" goes to the pen to release your pre-paid, half-starved deer 400 yards away and out of sight. It makes a beeline to the feeder that just went off, you shoot a trophy, then go back and tell your wife and kids what a great hunter you are. cheers grin

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/17/13 02:18 AM

Originally Posted By: nsmike
This is dumb, you pay your money and please yourself, what anyone else thinks is irrelevant. If you think the LF/HF debate gets hot, try explaining hunting over a corned sendero, to a northern hunter. You'll end up on the reciving end of the same arguments the LF people use against HF hunters.

I did that one time as I has helping a guy drag a 160" deer out of alfalfa feild pretty damn funny, yankee make fun of texas boys, when he had 50 deer in a 120acre alfala pivot to choose from. He shut up after I asked him he wanted me to take his picture in a plowed feild down the road

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/17/13 02:21 AM

Do you say these things because that is what you would do? Don't project your fears on others just because you never mastered basic woodsman skills.

I get ya, you work hard all year, and you deserve to be driven to a nice, plush blind overlooking a feeder at exactly 100 yards while the "guide" goes to the pen to release your pre-paid, half-starved deer 400 yards away and out of sight. It makes a beeline to the feeder that just went off, you shoot a trophy, then go back and tell your wife and kids what a great hunter you are. cheers grin

That's funny, I don't get out of truck in okla or kansas until its time to shoot, and there isn't a feeder any were for 100+ miles.

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/17/13 02:32 AM

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/17/13 02:33 AM

I am glad you found the humor in it BOBO. I grew up hunting in Michigan. HF, LF I don't much care, but I find it hard to believe anyone could get lost in a fenced in area, high or low, as Don K suggested.

Now when I hunted in federal lands in the UP of MI? You could walk off the wrong side of the road and never be seen again. If the hypothermia doesn't get ya, the bears, wolves, wolverines, Mtn. Lions, etc. will. I guess you learn things out of necessity.

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/17/13 02:33 AM

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/17/13 02:36 AM

I am glad you found the humor in it BOBO. I grew up hunting in Michigan. HF, LF I don't much care, but I find it hard to believe anyone could get lost in a fenced in area, high or low, as Don K suggested.

Now when I hunted in federal lands in the UP of MI? You could walk off the wrong side of the road and never be seen again. If the hypothermia doesn't get ya, the bears, wolves, wolverines, Mtn. Lions, etc. will. I guess you learn things out of necessity.

You'll get carried off by a rabid pack of vulture size Mosquitos or drown in our hood.

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/17/13 02:38 AM

You'll get carried off by a rabid pack of vulture size Mosquitos or drown in our hood.

I'll bet. The black flies are pretty serious up north but thankfully by deer season all bugs are dead since it is usually about 20 degrees. Having said that, I much prefer hunting in TX.

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/17/13 02:45 AM

MI has wolves?

I willing to bet I know a high fence ranch that you would get lost on. But in all fairness its was 21k of deep east texas swamps, pines and bayous.

You think your the only one on this forum that has done a DIY hunt by your self in the wilderness? Come on man.

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/17/13 02:47 AM

I'll bet you a buncha $ you could drop me off on it and I wouldn't get lost!

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/17/13 02:48 AM

I have probably forgot more than you will ever know.

Like anyone could ever know that. [/quote]

Everyone's brilliant and indestructible on the internet.
(Usually because it's the only place they can be.)

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/17/13 02:49 AM

Hunting is hunting wether you walk 6000' and 10miles a day or drive a pick up truck and walk 30' to a blind.

You want to be grizzly adams knock yourself out, but as soon as you bash someone hunting beliefs because you look down apon it, your no longer a hunter your just a big ego trip...nothing more nothing less

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/17/13 02:51 AM

I bet your right you grew up on the damn thing.... you know every hole in the fence smile

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/17/13 02:51 AM

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

MI has wolves?

I willing to bet I know a high fence ranch that you would get lost on. But in all fairness its was 21k of deep east texas swamps, pines and bayous.

You think your the only one on this forum that has done a DIY hunt by your self in the wilderness? Come on man.

I never said I was the only one BOBO, come on man. You are just trying to be difficult grin. It's just that I find it hard to believe you can get lost inside a fenced in enclosure.

I am sure there are many more experienced hunters than I. The difference between myself and many others is that I continue to learn while others believe they know it all.

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/17/13 02:53 AM

Quote:

Apparent it goes both ways smile

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/17/13 02:53 AM

I bet your right you grew up on the damn thing.... you know every hole in the fence smile

I'd walk south......South gate is right next to the beer stores. grin

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/17/13 02:54 AM

MI has wolves?

I never said I was the only one BOBO, come on man. You are just trying to be difficult grin. It's just that I find it hard to believe you can get lost inside a fenced in enclosure.

I am sure there are many more experienced hunters than I. The difference between myself and many others is that I continue to learn while others believe they know it all.

Re-read your last sentence then think about getting lost again in a HF up

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/17/13 02:55 AM

And yes, MI has wolves. The DNR says 2000 pair but it is likely closer to 10000. Mom had them in her yard 2 winters ago. Still no season for them there though, too many tree huggers. Wait until they cross the ice one winter into the LP and then you will hear the huggers scream. Each wolf eats between 12 and 20 deer each year they say.

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/17/13 02:55 AM

I'd walk south......South gate is right next to the beer stores. grin

Lol

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/17/13 02:56 AM

And yes, MI has wolves. The DNR says 2000 pair but it is likely closer to 10000. Mom had them in her yard 2 winters ago. Still no season for them there though, too many tree huggers. Wait until they cross the ice one winter into the LP and then you will hear the huggers scream. Each wolf eats between 12 and 20 deer each year they say.

Just checking up

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/17/13 02:56 AM

I have learned to read a compass.

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/17/13 02:58 AM

Quote:

I am not the one talking smack about my hunting skills so, no, it doesn't.

I don't mind saying that it's my experience that the biggest talkers are not the biggest doers. This seems especially true when the talk is that HF is the tough guy way and fair chase is for city boys. rolleyes

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/17/13 03:00 AM

Me too but take it away and bet you get in a bind.

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/17/13 03:06 AM

Quote:

I am not the one talking smack about my hunting skills so, no, it doesn't.

I don't mind saying that it's my experience that the biggest talkers are not the biggest doers. This seems especially true when the talk is that HF is the tough guy way and fair chase is for city boys. rolleyes

Ironically looks who puts who on the defensive first...thats my point

You come by the poking naturally. ..I call it a conditioned trait or motivator smile so you can't help it. first shot fired in these threads come from........... those that think their way is the only way

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/17/13 03:07 AM

I got lost one time and had no compass. I spent most of the day wandering around and was ready to give up when the rest of my group found me. Then again, I was 6. wink

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/17/13 03:08 AM

And why would you take my compass away?

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/17/13 03:08 AM

I would think it is self-evident that it would be quite a task to get lost in a HF. Just walk until you hit the fence and follow it around until you get to the breeding pen or the protein shed-whichever comes first.

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/17/13 03:09 AM

Lol....that's pretty funny ill give you that.

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/17/13 03:10 AM

X2

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/17/13 03:11 AM

I would think it is self-evident that it would be quite a task to get lost in a HF. Just walk until you hit the fence and follow it around until you get to the breeding pen or the protein shed-whichever comes first.

life is so linear until you start walking............

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/17/13 03:13 AM

And why would you take my compass away?

Grizzly Adams didn't need no stinking compass.....all the rivers and stream traveled down hill....... until you get to the swamp smile

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/17/13 03:14 AM

X2

I was talking about you 6year old walk about bang

Re: HIGH FENCE HUNTING or Low Fence Hunting / which is better - 05/17/13 03:27 AM

I'm closing this one down..... went and read whole thread

Some of yall act like no body should turn their back to each other at a campfire. ..

Kind of unsettling
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum