Texas Hunting Forum

Do deer eat "hay" forage?

Posted By: HBone

Do deer eat "hay" forage? - 03/10/13 04:08 AM

We all know they eat alfalfa , but will they eat in pastures of just costal,sudan, Bermuda etc? I've only seen trails through pastures but none grazing in them like they do in oat and wheat fields.
Posted By: Stoney

Re: Do deer eat "hay" forage? - 03/10/13 04:19 AM

We tried putting bales of sorghum hay in Terrell county years ago, they walked over it and around it, never ate it. Your mileage may vary. However....If you can find peanut hay or "trash" game on. Good luck!
Posted By: don k

Re: Do deer eat "hay" forage? - 03/10/13 01:12 PM

I don't know about coastal, but they like the small whatever it is burmuda that grows wild around here.
Posted By: therock

Re: Do deer eat "hay" forage? - 03/10/13 01:33 PM

Seen em eat coastal but only when it is fresh growth and tender. Never got em to eat baled coastal.
Posted By: cameron00

Re: Do deer eat "hay" forage? - 03/10/13 01:43 PM

Gay deer eat HAAAAAA-AAAAAAY!!!
Posted By: topwater13

Re: Do deer eat "hay" forage? - 03/10/13 09:33 PM

Originally Posted By: therock
Seen em eat coastal but only when it is fresh growth and tender. Never got em to eat baled coastal.

+1 I've tried baled alfalfa as well...those particular deer didnt care for it.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Do deer eat "hay" forage? - 03/10/13 09:52 PM

Originally Posted By: don k
I don't know about coastal, but they like the small whatever it is burmuda that grows wild around here.

x3. as mentioned, only when green and tender. I do not believe they will eat in hay form.
Posted By: BenBob

Re: Do deer eat "hay" forage? - 03/10/13 11:30 PM

The will mow down some peasnut hay.
Posted By: 338ultra

Re: Do deer eat "hay" forage? - 03/11/13 12:33 AM

I've always been told if you high fenced a pure coastal field and stuck a deer in it they would starve to death. And that if I ever saw one grazing in a coastal field they were eating the weeds. Don't know how true that it, but that's what I've been told.
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: Do deer eat "hay" forage? - 03/11/13 01:30 AM

Remember many years ago in Colorado there was rough season and deer were starving, coming into towns. Some people arranged for hay (don't know what type but believe a coastal bermuda) to be brought in and placed on the outskirt of town. The deer ate the hay but later deer were found dead with full stomachs, and upon autopsy apparently their system could not digest the grass.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Do deer eat "hay" forage? - 03/11/13 03:29 AM

Originally Posted By: unclebubba
Originally Posted By: don k

x3. as mentioned, only when green and tender. I do not believe they will eat in hay form.

Probably eating the small native forbes that eventually get chocked out by the coastal not the coastal
Posted By: BenBob

Re: Do deer eat "hay" forage? - 03/11/13 03:41 AM

Deer are browsers like goats. Alfalfa they will eat and hays that are producers of some type of fruit or legume they will eat, but will starve on coastal. Goats will not survive on a completly coastal diet either. The fact that axis deer prefer browse, but can switch to grass when browse is limited is another strike against the whitetail deer when they are in competition with an axis deer. Whitetails can survive on weeds and browse, just like goats.
Posted By: 10ring

Re: Do deer eat "hay" forage? - 03/11/13 02:13 PM

They can't really digest hay very well.
Posted By: HBone

Re: Do deer eat "hay" forage? - 03/12/13 01:55 AM

Thanks for the info , I have a bunch of oats going right now and they are hammering it. But we are planting bermuda on about 20 acres for hay.
Posted By: 10ring

Re: Do deer eat "hay" forage? - 03/12/13 02:41 AM

They will probably eat some of the new shoots as the Bermuda is coming up. But once it's up I'd venture to say they will stay away from it for the most part.
Posted By: Western

Re: Do deer eat "hay" forage? - 03/12/13 03:21 AM

Coastal (several varieties), is the only thing I have planted that I didn't worry about deer damage. I think they'd eat cactus before coastal.

3 years ago I planted a short, soft Bermuda hybrid on a new pond dam beside my oat plot, next to the hybrid I planted about a 50'x50' piece of coastal "hay grazer". Deer never touched it other than to walk through it, even when the oats finally browned.

I haven't seen them directly browse Sudan either, the tops anyway, maybe they sense the possible prussic acid?
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Do deer eat "hay" forage? - 03/12/13 05:38 AM

I refuse to plant Coastal on any of our properties. I'm not so worried about cows. I'm trying to increase Deer and Turkey numbers , Native pasture is where it's at.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum