Texas Hunting Forum

Antler Growth?

Posted By: BradyBuck

Antler Growth? - 03/05/13 12:08 AM

Are there any good studies or can anyone share some good information about antler growth?

How many inches can a deer gain from year to year?

How much does nutrition matter? Protien, Water....etc

Just got on a new lease and here are a few pictures over two weeks.

What can I expect these bucks to do with protein year around?

Thanks
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Antler Growth? - 03/05/13 12:20 AM

IMO lots of variables and to many unknowns to answer that with any accuracy. Age and genetics will factor in a lot at to how much one buck in particular can improve from one year to the next. Rainfall can effect one year to the next also. Some bucks in some areas of the state will not improve but a little each year and not hit their peak to 6-7 yrs of age. Other will make huge jumps in their 2nd, 3rd and 4th years then may level off. Deer born and raised on feed can do better than deer started on it that have some age on them. As a rule of thumb most things I have heard or read will tell you to expect 10%-15% improved growth from one year to the next. There really is no way to gauge it since no study can be done on deer that will have two groups of identical deer with identical genetics.
Posted By: DirtyBird1of1j

Re: Antler Growth? - 03/05/13 02:44 AM

I'd say your doing it right.

Re: Antler Growth? - 03/05/13 02:47 AM

Go to the Ceasar Kleberg Wildlife Research Institute website to check all the research they have done over the last 20+ years now. http://www.ckwri.tamuk.edu/

Re: Antler Growth? - 03/05/13 02:51 AM

Thanks for the info... Hope to see those guys this fall with a few more inches. I know there are some shooters out on the place.

Re: Antler Growth? - 03/05/13 03:18 AM

With average to above average rainfall and being a year older they will all be better without any protein.
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Antler Growth? - 03/05/13 03:23 AM

Great potential there up

Is the date right on the last pic?

Re: Antler Growth? - 03/05/13 04:23 AM

Originally Posted By: txshntr
Great potential there up

Is the date right on the last pic?

Im not sure... the guy who I am on the place with has been on it for three years and this is his pic. He has taken several 140+ deer off of it. Ive hunted a small place in the hill country close to Brady my whole life. I have never been on a place that had bucks like this. Im very excited about it and October can't get here soon enough.

Posted By: Cannon

Re: Antler Growth? - 03/07/13 01:49 AM

In general, genetics set the maximum antler potential, and nutrition in any one year controls the extent that potential is recognized for that age. Normally, the biggest age based increase in antler size is between 5.5 & 6.5, with 4.5-5.5 being statistically second, environmental factors remaining constant.
Posted By: Sled2live

Re: Antler Growth? - 03/19/13 03:14 AM

Pray for rain! I wish I saw that many bucks of that size on my lease any time of year...let alone after the season. :-)
Posted By: ccrock

Re: Antler Growth? - 03/19/13 01:58 PM

First thing to happen before horn growth is the deer have to be healthy as horn growth is secondary. If you have an area with good genetics, good age herd, not over populated then you will see the horn growth be strong. This is when habitat improvement pays dividends.
Posted By: jayismyson

Re: Antler Growth? - 03/25/13 07:34 AM

I have never been on a place that had bucks like this. Im very excited about it and October can't get here soon enough.