Texas Hunting Forum

Montague County?

Posted By: foodieguy

Montague County? - 02/28/13 03:36 AM

Hey all,

I have family in Montague County but it's pretty far from me. It might be worth the drive though with the high costs of leases.

Anybody have any intel on the amounts of deer (or hogs) that might be up in that part of the state?

thx
Posted By: BMD

Re: Montague County? - 02/28/13 03:41 AM

Some of it has great deer, lots of hogs it is good area.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Montague County? - 02/28/13 03:48 AM

Yep, some of it. Not a high deer density for the most part. They go nocturnal. Hogs come and go. We shot several big boars but did not see a group of hogs all year. Depends where and how big of acreage and specific location. It's worth the drive at least once though. What are the two cross roads?
Posted By: tth_40

Re: Montague County? - 02/28/13 07:06 AM

I have hunted on my place there for just over 20 years. Lots of hogs, but they come and go in phases. Some years you see them everytime, everywhere and thick. Others, you won't see one for a few months. Deer wise, there have been some big ones taken over the years but they will go nocturnal at the drop of a hat. Lots of coyotes, bobcats and coon. I would say 99% low fence.
Posted By: Texsun

Re: Montague County? - 02/28/13 02:01 PM

Have hunted our family land there since 1978. Some very good deer.

Posted By: vanndchi

Re: Montague County? - 03/12/13 01:16 AM

Good deer, tough hunting. I have hunted day after day with no deer, then 10 will come out.

Lots of hogs.

Re: Montague County? - 03/12/13 01:21 AM

I killed this buck in Montague Cty in 2005.

I killed this buck in 2006, same stand. Both were mature deer. The bottom buck was really nice.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Montague County? - 03/12/13 05:48 AM

Originally Posted By: Vanndchi
Good deer, tough hunting. I have hunted day after day with no deer, then 10 will come out.

Lots of hogs.
Yep. I hunted there, or I should say, close to Montague, near Denton creek. Antler restrictions have helped a lot IMO. Sorry Curly. peep
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Montague County? - 03/12/13 05:54 AM

Vanndchi, great trophies there. Good luck in the future.

Re: Montague County? - 03/12/13 12:11 PM

Thanks! I hunted that last buck for 5 years, he was a smart buck. Killed him on 11-16-06, at 5:45pm. Came to the Primos can & grunt. He was 20" wide, low 132" B&C. I hunted quite a few hours for him.
Posted By: Oakysmoker

Re: Montague County? - 03/16/13 11:44 AM

Originally Posted By: Vanndchi
Thanks! I hunted that last buck for 5 years, he was a smart buck. Killed him on 11-16-06, at 5:45pm. Came to the Primos can & grunt. He was 20" wide, low 132" B&C. I hunted quite a few hours for him.

Very nice! My first hunt was just this past season, just off of 1749 between Sunset and Forestburg. All season the does were playing hide and seek. We figured out that they had indeed gone nocturnal. I never even laid eyes on a buck. frown

But in the middle of the day my buddy was refilling a feeder and spied a nice 10pt. at the edge of a hay meadow. He snuck back to his truck and hunkered down into some brush and waited. Thirty minutes later he had it on the tailgate. smile

The man who invited me does a lot of stalking and laid eyes on a really nice buck as well. Located by good size scrapes, he tracked him and put glass on him several times. Never felt like he had the clean shot, so he still walks the woods today. Maybe next season!

Re: Montague County? - 03/16/13 11:05 PM

I like the AR's. There are really big bucks, but they are tough to hunt.

My first buck came out at 12:45pm, on the first Monday of the 2005 season. It was in the low 90's, but the rut was on. I now try to hunt all day, just in case!

We killed several 130's off that lease. There were quite a few nice deer over the years.

Good luck!!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum