Texas Hunting Forum

Loma Alta

Posted By: Rampage12

Loma Alta - 11/05/12 10:21 PM

Im just tring to get an idea as to what kind of activity everyone else is seeing around here. I just got back from our lease down there and didnt really have any luck. All of the bucks we saw were mostly small young bucks with the biggest pushing 120 or so. Im hoping that the big boys will start moving once it cools down and they start chasing and then begin to get hungry. What do yall think?
Posted By: CB09

Re: Loma Alta - 11/06/12 12:05 AM

We saw some stuff last weekend but it seems as they are really moving at night still. We need a cold front to come in to get them really moving.

Re: Loma Alta - 11/06/12 03:56 AM

Yeah I agree. Last year deer numbers increased tremendously in December once the cold settled in

Re: Loma Alta - 11/06/12 04:07 AM

We are also seeing much healthier deer since we have moved to alfalfa year round.

Re: Loma Alta - 11/06/12 06:00 PM

Are you seeing anything of size CBO9?
Posted By: AlaskaCub

Re: Loma Alta - 11/06/12 06:05 PM

Where exactly is Loma Alta? Seems like its on Dolan Creek Rd if you google it, but I cant find it on a map.

Re: Loma Alta - 11/06/12 06:36 PM

Yes we are starting to see better size in horns and overall better looking deer. We put the bails in with the feeder and i woudl say 80% of my pictrues are of the deer eating the bails and not the corn.

Re: Loma Alta - 11/06/12 07:36 PM

+1 on the Alfalfa......they love it! You can see whats left on the ground of the most recent bail, this guy is getting a pass this year.

Re: Loma Alta - 11/06/12 11:17 PM

We put alfalfa out only when we hunt but I was thinking..(and this may be kind of a weird thought) I wonder if maybe I should just put a whole bail out ya know.. maybe hang it in a tree by the wire?! We have a few feeders but mostly hunt chum spots around our feeders and everytime we put a lil alfalfa out they always prefer it to the corn just like you said. But when were not there obviously our chum spots arent drawing any deer. How long do you think a bale would keep a few deer fed at a single spot?

Re: Loma Alta - 11/06/12 11:18 PM

Btw nice pic Alaska!

Re: Loma Alta - 11/06/12 11:27 PM

I just drop a bale on the ground and remove the wire, they do a real good job of picking it apart. I laughed one night watching a 8 pointer try to pick up a whole flake like 4 inches thick and hold it in his mouth, walked a few feet away and started eating it. Some just stick their heads in the bale and get to the good stuff in the center. A bale is lasting me right at two weeks, I put one at or near each feeder. Some eat both the corn and the alfalfa, some only eat the corn and some only eat the Alfalfa, but they are definately eating it. I figure it cant hurt, the more goodies in the kitchen the better!

Re: Loma Alta - 11/06/12 11:51 PM

I think ill try that. Thanks for the advice!

Re: Loma Alta - 11/07/12 12:20 AM

We are pretty much just like AlaskaCub and put a bail at each feeder and it lasts 2-3 weeks.

Re: Loma Alta - 11/07/12 12:51 AM

Thatll be perfect to keep my good chum spots goin from thanksgiving till the week before Christmas when I go back
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum