Texas Hunting Forum

tagging your kill

Posted By: TXHogger

tagging your kill - 10/25/12 11:30 PM

being new to deer hunting i was wondering how you tag your kill. seems that little tag could come off easily. how do you affix it to your kill? tape? staples? wink
Posted By: Pittstate

Re: tagging your kill - 10/25/12 11:31 PM

fill it out, and tape it to the antlers with black tape. If a doe, I always use a zip tie to attach it to the leg.
Posted By: Grillgod

Re: tagging your kill - 10/25/12 11:32 PM

Tape or zip tie is what I normally use
Posted By: SatNiteSpec

I use a zip tie. Don't trust my knots since I've been out of the Boy Scouts for over 20 years. Cheap and light weight to carry around.
Posted By: LandPirate

Twine, electricians tape, zip ties, bailing wire, big twist ties. Pretty much anything that will hold it.
Posted By: BMD

Re: tagging your kill - 10/25/12 11:38 PM

Zip tie
Posted By: BBD84

Re: tagging your kill - 10/25/12 11:42 PM

ZIP TIEs for us 99% of the time but I do keep a roill of black tape in my bag incase.

Re: tagging your kill - 10/25/12 11:46 PM

ok sounds like everything i thought of. zip tie seems to be the most logical. do you just strap it down tight around a leg or something?

Re: tagging your kill - 10/25/12 11:50 PM

Punch it thru hole made in tag and zip to antler on buck or slit ear on doe and zip it tight
Posted By: KWood_TSU

Re: tagging your kill - 10/25/12 11:50 PM

Zip tie around the antler. If its a doe, put a hole with your knife through the ear, and zip tie it there, just don'tdo that's buck if he's getting shoulder mounted, lol.

Re: tagging your kill - 10/25/12 11:55 PM

Great minds think alike

Re: tagging your kill - 10/26/12 12:03 AM

i want a great mind too! do they sell them on ebay?

Re: tagging your kill - 10/26/12 12:09 AM

Originally Posted By: BMD
Great minds think alike

Haha, they sure do.
Posted By: tdecker22

Re: tagging your kill - 10/26/12 12:25 AM

Originally Posted By: LandPirate
Twine, electricians tape, zip ties, bailing wire, big twist ties. Pretty much anything that will hold it.

^^^^^^this^^^^^^
Posted By: sqiggy

Re: tagging your kill - 10/26/12 01:12 AM

YOU MEAN TO TELL ME, WE NOW HAVE TO TAG A DEER!!! bang
Posted By: nsmike

Re: tagging your kill - 10/26/12 01:16 AM

One thing that I've used as a former pipe smoker is a pipe cleaner. A lot of AR shooters have them around also.
Posted By: Team By-God

Re: tagging your kill - 10/26/12 01:23 AM

I wrap 1st with flagging tape then make a wrap with electrical tape. If I need to remove tag its a lot easier to get electric tape off if its not stuck to tag..
Posted By: Trey Kuenslter

Re: tagging your kill - 10/26/12 01:25 AM

What yall talking about....i dont tag deer
Posted By: TreeBass

Re: tagging your kill - 10/26/12 01:25 AM

Punch it thru hole made in tag and zip to antler on buck or slit ear on doe and zip it tight

X2
Posted By: aeb

Re: tagging your kill - 10/26/12 01:30 AM

Been a long time since I played tag with a dear. violin
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: tagging your kill - 10/26/12 02:10 AM

If I want to PO the GW or Processor I tape with a lot of black electrical tape grin J/K I always use plastic sandwich bags and stick the tag in it were it can be read on one side and then tape it in 2 places with electrical tape to a hind leg.

Re: tagging your kill - 10/26/12 02:12 AM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
If I want to PO the GW or Processor I tape with a lot of black electrical tape grin J/K I always use plastic sandwich bags and stick the tag in it were it can be read on one side and then tape it in 2 places with electrical tape to a hind leg.

good idea
Posted By: Bar M Ranch

Re: tagging your kill - 10/26/12 02:38 AM

I killed a 5x5 Elk back in 1988. Filled out the tag and then realized that I did not have anything to attach it to the horns with. I come up with taking my knife and cutting the elastic from one of my socks. It worked.
Posted By: blancobuster

Re: tagging your kill - 10/26/12 02:45 AM

the place that we sometimes get our deer processed at has these little plastic deals with their name on them that you can put your tag on...kind of like the things you put your business card in on luggage, we have a few stashed in the camper
Posted By: tightlines24

Re: tagging your kill - 10/26/12 03:40 AM

I usually carry a small role of tape but I have been known to forget. In that case you got to get creative. I have used wire I found on quite a few occasions. Once I broke off a mesquite twig with about a two inch thorn and impailed the tag to the deer until I got back to camp and could do it right.
Posted By: nick_adams

Re: tagging your kill - 10/26/12 04:12 AM

I frequently just cut a two parallel slits in the hide on the forehead or cheek, pull up the band of skin in between, and tuck the tag into the band. all you need is your knife, and it if you size the slits right it is quite secure....
Posted By: daniel1381

Re: tagging your kill - 10/26/12 04:17 AM

Originally Posted By: blancobuster
the place that we sometimes get our deer processed at has these little plastic deals with their name on them that you can put your tag on...kind of like the things you put your business card in on luggage, we have a few stashed in the camper

Gonna get me some of those...now just gotta get the deer to stand still for my arrow
Posted By: sunsetroosters

Re: tagging your kill - 10/26/12 05:04 AM

i have used dental floss
Posted By: toolman

Re: tagging your kill - 10/26/12 05:11 AM

I carry a roll of Scotch tape in my backpack and tape the tag around the antler or leg. Used to use zip ties until I had one break going down the road and lost the tag. I was pretty PO'ed at having to burn another tag. Apparently, I got a bag of old/defective ties, because the next one broke as I was cinching it up so I tossed 'em all.
Posted By: Hunter_812

Re: tagging your kill - 10/26/12 05:12 AM

Stuff it in an ear
Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: tagging your kill - 10/26/12 05:15 AM

X2
Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: tagging your kill - 10/26/12 05:18 AM

A helpful hint, for a small roll of tape, peel the inside cardboard down, then it will fold flat and pack better...
Posted By: rebeltex

Re: tagging your kill - 10/26/12 06:47 AM

zip tie through the tongue, tag sticking out, processor had a little laugh in his otherwise long day......
Posted By: BBD84

Re: tagging your kill - 10/26/12 07:28 AM

Originally Posted By: rebeltex
zip tie through the tongue, tag sticking out, processor had a little laugh in his otherwise long day......
Not trying to be an A$$ but it wouldnt hurt to show some respect to the animal. We cut the tounge out for this reason before picture. Sorry that just got to me.
Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: tagging your kill - 10/26/12 02:34 PM

Originally Posted By: BBD84
Not trying to be an A$$ but it wouldnt hurt to show some respect to the animal. We cut the tounge out for this reason before picture. Sorry that just got to me.

Really... You’re going to bash a guy for cutting a slit in a deer’s tongue to hang a tag!!! You think cutting a deer’s tongue out before pictures is showing it respect? I understand not wanting to have the deer’s tongue showing in your photo but why not just open its mouth and put its tongue back in its mouth?
Posted By: redchevy

Re: tagging your kill - 10/26/12 02:40 PM

Long as its on there I dont care. Most commonly use string from a feed sack, but when im better prepared I have used zip ties, wire, long twist ties, used to have a tag holder with a sealable pouch and velcro that went around the horns or leg. Have used tape, but prefer not to and Ive never had a problem with loosing a tag.

matt
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: tagging your kill - 10/26/12 03:08 PM

Originally Posted By: toolman
I carry a roll of Scotch tape in my backpack and tape the tag around the antler or leg. Used to use zip ties until I had one break going down the road and lost the tag. I was pretty PO'ed at having to burn another tag. Apparently, I got a bag of old/defective ties, because the next one broke as I was cinching it up so I tossed 'em all.
Some of the el cheapo zip ties aren't UV stabilized so if they get exposed to sunlight, they'll deteriorate quickly.

Had a friend show up at camp with a nice 8 point in the back of his truck just about the same time the GW made an appearance. He was pretty proud to show off his buck until the GW asked him why there was a zip tie around the antler, but no tag under it? It was a huge OH SH.T moment until he dug around in the bed of the truck and found the escaped tag. GW got a good laugh out of it.
Posted By: TX_Huntress

Re: tagging your kill - 10/26/12 03:12 PM

Punch hole in the ear, then zip tie the tag to the ear. Unless the head will be mounted, then we zip tie to the antler base.
Posted By: DrPerry

Re: tagging your kill - 10/26/12 03:42 PM

Originally Posted By: TXHogger
i want a great mind too! do they sell them on ebay?

NAH but they do sell memory upgrades!
Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: tagging your kill - 10/26/12 03:50 PM

Originally Posted By: TX_Huntress
Punch hole in the ear, then zip tie the tag to the ear. Unless the head will be mounted, then we zip tie to the antler base.

Yep.. I use zip ties the same way.
Posted By: jrgocards

Re: tagging your kill - 10/26/12 04:00 PM

The cleaners we use have long thin wires holding our clothes together (they are similar to bread ties, but twice as long). I have saved 10 of them and keep them in my backpack. I attached them and the tag to antlers on bucks and cut a hole on the ears of does to attach them.

JR
Posted By: Jacob645

Re: tagging your kill - 10/26/12 04:09 PM

Be sure to have the tag visible in your pictures. Had a game warden come to the house and wake my dad up (he works nights) with a picture from the Internet that I had posted of my buck. We had tagged it in the back leg, which wasn't visible in the picture. The GW was real nice. Dad told him he was at the taxidermist and meat processor. He said ok.
Posted By: buck-snort

Re: tagging your kill - 10/26/12 04:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Pope&Young
Originally Posted By: BBD84

Really... You’re going to bash a guy for cutting a slit in a deer’s tongue to hang a tag!!! You think cutting a deer’s tongue out before pictures is showing it respect? I understand not wanting to have the deer’s tongue showing in your photo but why not just open its mouth and put its tongue back in its mouth?

Is it normal to cut a deer's tounge out before taking a picture? I have never heard of this.

Re: tagging your kill - 10/26/12 04:42 PM

Some people do to keep it out of the pic, but I've always just stuffed it back in there mouth.
Posted By: Ranch Dawg

Re: tagging your kill - 10/26/12 07:20 PM

Yes staple it to forehead.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: tagging your kill - 10/26/12 07:24 PM

Had GW tell a friend of mine after he took the tag that he had taped to the antler off his buck to just stuff inside the ear. The hair would hold it in place and never come out unless you take it out. For me I was afraid it would blow out going down the hwy.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: tagging your kill - 10/26/12 07:25 PM

liquid nails works in a pinch. laugh I use zip ties.
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: tagging your kill - 10/26/12 07:28 PM

Tag in a ziplock bag, bag tapped to antler or zip tied though ear.
Posted By: Camo Momma

Re: tagging your kill - 10/27/12 06:02 AM

Bread ties work wonders. slit in the ear with the bread tie.
Posted By: RockPhi

Re: tagging your kill - 10/27/12 10:32 AM

I have some small ziplock bags(got from jewelery section at wal-mart)I stuff the tag in there and then use black electrical tape to wrap it up so the tag doesnt get ruined.. I have seen tags fly off and get lost to easily
Posted By: ZombieGun

Re: tagging your kill - 10/27/12 12:28 PM

Unless its a buck that is going on the wall for a shoulder mount, I always slit the ear and zip tie the tag to the ear.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum