Texas Hunting Forum

Best way to block a food plot?

Posted By: Mike Garcia

Best way to block a food plot? - 05/01/12 05:36 PM

Well I know you can use cattle-hog panel, or even a hot wire. But some one told me about a spray you can use to deture deers and hogs from coming in. Is this true? Any suggestions without the use of Fence

Posted By: FoxTrot

Re: Best way to block a food plot? - 05/01/12 05:40 PM

Spray to keep deer away from a food plot confused2

Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Best way to block a food plot? - 05/01/12 05:41 PM

Lead or copper works well when applied often.

Re: Best way to block a food plot? - 05/01/12 05:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Mike Garcia
Well I know you can use cattle-hog panel, or even a hot wire. But some one told me about a spray you can use to deture deers and hogs from coming in. Is this true? Any suggestions without the use of Fence
well to plant beans and let them grow, I know and read that deer will hit them hard once they break ground before the reach potential

Re: Best way to block a food plot? - 05/01/12 06:07 PM

Mike, search on-line for sprays to stop or deter them. Problem with sprays are they can get washed of with rains or even heavy fogs/dews. I think Cabelas or BPS used to sell a mix that you could add to water and spray on to foliage. I know there was a time in the 80's-90's when guys would take raw eggs and mix them into water. I think it was like 2 dozen per 100 gallons if memory serves me right and spray it to foliage. Not sure if they let the eggs rotten or sour first then added or the smell bad after they dried to leaves. Samething though it had to be added every week or other week. I have used electrical fencing for years putting it up at planting and taking it down after to re-use over again.

Re: Best way to block a food plot? - 05/01/12 06:14 PM

Great thanks! Ya I got a call from a buddy asking me if I knew about that spray, I had no clue and ya, I figured wont be best bet if we had a heavy rain or like you said morning dew to make it useless. Im going to op. for electrical fencing. Thanks again!

Re: Best way to block a food plot? - 05/01/12 06:15 PM

I think Gallagher Fence Company sells a kit to fence food plots. Check them on-line for it.

Re: Best way to block a food plot? - 05/01/12 06:21 PM

up great! will do on that.

Posted By: BBD84

Re: Best way to block a food plot? - 05/01/12 07:22 PM

Mike we use hot wire usually it works the best for us but have had a deer jump it anyways lol must have been a dry year lst year or something youd figure 3 2000 lb protiene feeders and several corn feeders woulda stopped them a little bit lol

Re: Best way to block a food plot? - 05/01/12 08:04 PM

haha I hear ya. Ya this is for my buddy out in Flynn. He is right next door to Porters. He has tons of protein feeders he just put out but hes still wanting to plant some crops. I heard lablab, cowpeas, and black eyed beans do well this time of year but heard about deers getting in before the bloom

Posted By: BBD84

Re: Best way to block a food plot? - 05/02/12 12:48 AM

Yeah that was our problem they love fresh green stuff

Posted By: shock_n_awe

Re: Best way to block a food plot? - 05/02/12 02:26 AM

I was watching a show a while back and they were talking about food plot protection. It sure looked like they were using some kind of plastic tape. It was on my list of things to look into but I never got around to it.

It was on channel 240 Dish Network and I want to say the episode was about setting up game habitat with government programs to develop land. Anyone else see it?

Posted By: shock_n_awe

Re: Best way to block a food plot? - 05/02/12 02:34 AM

Well, I think this is the stuff I was thinking about. They didn't go into detail and I didn't realize it was electric at the time.

http://www.gallagherusa.com/electric-fencing/permanent.component.aspx?mktprodid=796

Re: Best way to block a food plot? - 05/02/12 03:15 AM

hmm that seems to be a good deal there! I need to check it out more

Posted By: STXHO

Re: Best way to block a food plot? - 05/02/12 03:36 AM

Moth Balls. Cheap and I guarantee you won't have a deer come near that food plot for at least a month.

Re: Best way to block a food plot? - 05/02/12 04:01 AM

I thought of that, We used that on dogs before to keep them out of the garden. Good idea

Posted By: rifleman

Re: Best way to block a food plot? - 05/02/12 04:07 AM

if deer or hogs are hungry enough there's not much you can do sort of building a fence to keep them out. Sprays can wash off and hogs can clear you out in a night, other little myths can have the hogs move in a clean it out. The best route is always to construct a fence to keep anything out, but it's not always the most cost efficient approach.

Re: Best way to block a food plot? - 05/02/12 04:29 AM

Very true, I know we plan to make few food plots on different ends of the place. So we may do the hot wire approach on the biggest one and may fence off the others. Just gota see what kinda money he wants to put in. I know theres a few exotics out there now. Seen few axis along with few Red deer, 2 are which are young stags. Some fugitives from porters lol.

Posted By: Cougarfoot

Re: Best way to block a food plot? - 05/02/12 06:42 AM

just an idea but why not just go down to your barber shop and get a couple sacks of hair and spread out the scent should keep them away. and shouldnt cost anything

Re: Best way to block a food plot? - 05/02/12 11:55 AM

Would that even work? lol How about when the plot is big enough to let them eat, guess you rake it up?

Posted By: Jerimy

Re: Best way to block a food plot? - 05/02/12 12:07 PM

popcorn

Posted By: kmon11

Re: Best way to block a food plot? - 05/02/12 12:07 PM

Used hair in a garden and it kept the deer out about 2 weeks then they were back in there. Think they either get used to it or rain and sun... take their toll on the smell

Re: Best way to block a food plot? - 05/02/12 12:13 PM

http://www.tecomate.com/content/index.php/site/comments/protecting_your_investments_of_food_plots/

I just came across this as well, even said human hair. Never would imagine, makes sense though. But also says they have a chance of getting used to it and not be so timid.

Posted By: Cougarfoot

Re: Best way to block a food plot? - 05/03/12 06:02 AM

well if they get used to it you wouldnt have to buy scent away. or any other high dollar product to cover your scent.

Re: Best way to block a food plot? - 05/03/12 12:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Cougarfoot
well if they get used to it you wouldnt have to buy scent away. or any other high dollar product to cover your scent.
Thats what im thinking, may need to try that... drop some near at least my bow stands. Anything to get them less spooked will be awesome. Good tip

Posted By: sciencehunter

Re: Best way to block a food plot? - 05/04/12 11:55 AM

What about this stuff? My brother uses it to keep deer out of his garden.

http://www.messinawildlife.com/plotsaver-perimeter-protection-system

Re: Best way to block a food plot? - 05/04/12 12:03 PM

Ah thats he was talking about, that ribbon is not bad I heard. So your bro hasnt had any issues with it? One time use I assume?

Posted By: sciencehunter

Re: Best way to block a food plot? - 05/04/12 02:14 PM

He used it last year and it did pretty well he said. He us going to use it again this year, not sure if he bought more or not.

Re: Best way to block a food plot? - 05/04/12 02:52 PM

Ok cool! Thanks, cause my friend talked about that and when I looked it up all I got was ribbon "hot" wire

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum