Texas Hunting Forum

Throckmorton Lease ????

Posted By: CGB

Throckmorton Lease ???? - 02/11/12 02:31 AM

I called on a lease on CL. 2200 acres, 12 guns, $1600 per gun. Not one property. Several small places in Elbert area. The guys name was Gus. Anyone have any info on this place? Seems like I heard bad things about this place 2 years ago.

Posted By: 300j

Re: Throckmorton Lease ???? - 02/11/12 03:06 AM

I hunt that area of Throckmorton co. & have never heard of that place. Should be fairly close to the Brazos. Cost looks to be around $9 an acre, thats not bad for that area. Pretty good deer out that way also.

Posted By: batman

Re: Throckmorton Lease ???? - 02/11/12 09:11 PM

From what I hear Gus has several openings every year. I am sure some are because the hunters don't work out, but most may be due to Gus' attitude. But, I work with an older gentleman that hunts there and he has not had any issues. Like any other lease "Buyer Beware", ask for references from the guys getting off the lease.

Posted By: jigman

Re: Throckmorton Lease ???? - 02/12/12 08:44 PM

Beware of Gus young hunted with him for 4 years on the river pasture that he lost after I paid my deposit then he would not return my money he has multiple openings every year because he is a snake watch out ! If you decide to get on you will find out what Im talking about when season starts

Posted By: BigBuckBoss

Re: Throckmorton Lease ???? - 02/13/12 07:28 PM

I leased from Gus Young my self. That was by far the biggest mistake I have ever made in finding a lease. He puts way to many people on his places. He is very nice at first, but when he gets your money the "DRUNK GUS" comes out very quickly! He will mess with your feeders, check your cameras, and hunt your stand when you are not there. He is a control freak that will that will raid your camp to eat your food and drink your booze. I would never hunt again if that was my last resort. BEWARE!!!!!!!

Posted By: ffread

Re: Throckmorton Lease ???? - 02/13/12 08:21 PM

Gus sounds like he is getting great reviews!

Posted By: texas1313

Re: Throckmorton Lease ???? - 02/13/12 09:27 PM

BEWARE!!!! Exactly as BigBuckBoss said! You DO NOT want to hunt under this guy!! If you hunt to get away and have a good time with good people STEER CLEAR OF GUS YOUNG!!!!

Re: Throckmorton Lease ???? - 02/13/12 11:37 PM

12 guns plus the othe 20 that are already on it!

Posted By: n-all

Re: Throckmorton Lease ???? - 02/14/12 02:51 AM

Is he the man that has a house right on the road in Elbert??..

Re: Throckmorton Lease ???? - 02/14/12 03:00 AM

Yep

Posted By: n-all

Re: Throckmorton Lease ???? - 02/14/12 03:06 AM

thought so..talks a big game..

Posted By: Whitetail Wizard

Re: Throckmorton Lease ???? - 02/14/12 03:43 AM

popcorn popcorn

Posted By: notamtchance

Re: Throckmorton Lease ???? - 02/14/12 04:58 AM

I called and he said, there will be 20 hunters. All 20 plus some from another leased area all share1 camp site. Seemed like a recipe for disaster.

Re: Throckmorton Lease ???? - 02/14/12 03:23 PM

Yes 1 camp and after you get on and tell h you have a problem with the electricity he will tell you this ain't an rv park deal with it

Posted By: N-Rut

Re: Throckmorton Lease ???? - 02/17/12 02:47 AM

X3 on what BigBuckBoss posted.

Posted By: bucksanddoes

Re: Throckmorton Lease ???? - 02/21/12 02:11 AM

Did you get your answer CGB? I hunted there for 3 years and it's all true

Posted By: BowSlayer

Re: Throckmorton Lease ???? - 02/21/12 02:52 AM

Originally Posted By: bucksanddoes

But you hunted there for 3 years? Slow learner? confused2

Posted By: CGB

Re: Throckmorton Lease ???? - 02/21/12 07:40 AM

Originally Posted By: bucksanddoes

Yes Sir. Thanks for the replies. I hope/think this saved others the time and money wasted on leasing it.

Posted By: Hoyt32

Re: Throckmorton Lease ???? - 02/29/12 11:29 PM

Looks like Ol Gus has another lease on Craigslist for $2500 a gun. Some poor SOB is going to regret it if what y'all say is true

Posted By: Travis A.

Re: Throckmorton Lease ???? - 03/06/12 02:01 AM

I have seen serveral ads for him and I have stayed away...... I just wish I could find something in the area, have been looking high and low and have not come up with much.

Posted By: COWDOG

Re: Throckmorton Lease ???? - 03/06/12 04:26 PM

LOL a buddy and I talked to him “Gus” one day driving around looking for a lease…seemed like he had the whole county under his wing. Just his attitude made us look else where.

Posted By: Isabella Grace

Re: Throckmorton Lease ???? - 03/07/12 03:50 AM

Originally Posted By: n-all
thought so..talks a big game..

I also think so.

Posted By: JTFrisco

Re: Throckmorton Lease ???? - 03/07/12 07:36 AM

Look up Brad Whitaker in Throckmorton, his number is on the throckmorton chamber of commerce hunting page. We leased from him in the past but left for a larger place. He is pretty straight forward and never really messed with us for the the most part. We were there for 4 years. He has land all throughout that counyty. Tell Brad Jason from Dallas sent you his way. Stay away from Gus, he is just like everyone said. I saved you some time...

Brad Whitaker Farms (year round hunting & fishing; lodging
940-849-0071

Posted By: Cast

Re: Throckmorton Lease ???? - 08/21/13 12:14 PM

Thanks guys for the good info. We just started this year on a lease in Throckmorton County, just up 79 from Elbert. I have met Lindell who owns the Elbert Farm Store and he seems to be a regular guy. Gus lives near his store, huh? I think I'll ask around the store for some river bottom to hunt squirrels on a d see what happens.
Posted By: TXDEERHUNTER10

Re: Throckmorton Lease ???? - 08/23/13 04:48 AM

Y'all need to flag his posts every time you see his ad's uploaded. Takes two flags from people for craigslist to pull the ad and he can't upload it again. Unless he makes a new one. But then you just do it all over again!
Posted By: WEBBYODER

Re: Throckmorton Lease ???? - 08/24/13 12:42 AM

I hunted on some of Brad Whitaker's property around ten years ago until I got on the place I'm on now.(family lease). Brad's a good guy.
Posted By: golden79

Re: Throckmorton Lease ???? - 12/28/13 11:45 PM

Im Lookin for a deer lease in throckmorton or young county
Posted By: Texan 65

Re: Throckmorton Lease ???? - 12/29/13 10:53 AM

I love this forum. My buddy is negotiating with this guy looking for a lease. Now we know how to deal or NOT deal with him. Beware of the Spade Ranch as well in Throckmorton as I had a bad experience there as well.
Posted By: tlk

Re: Throckmorton Lease ???? - 12/29/13 11:36 AM

Could I suggest going on the several Internet sites that rate outfitters/leases and file a review on this guy? I don't know him but it sure could help keep other hunters from getting tangled up with this guy
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Throckmorton Lease ???? - 12/30/13 01:00 AM

Originally Posted By: golden79
Im Lookin for a deer lease in throckmorton or young county

welcome to the forum.
Posted By: javy

Re: Throckmorton Lease ???? - 01/24/14 07:02 PM

Stay away from "Gus Young" whatever you do!!!!! I have not one good thing to say about him period. Spend your money with him and you will know why.

Re: Throckmorton Lease ???? - 01/24/14 07:27 PM

Gus is a disgrace to the sport of hunting, Period.
Posted By: DirtNapTET

Re: Throckmorton Lease ???? - 01/24/14 07:38 PM

Would you guys be willing to elaborate?

Re: Throckmorton Lease ???? - 01/24/14 08:09 PM

He is a cheat, man. There is plenty of searchable info here if you care to search it out. Many folks have stated this right here. I have never met the gentleman, even though I hunt in his back yard. He lives in Elbert I think.
Posted By: dgilbert

Re: Throckmorton Lease ???? - 01/24/14 08:32 PM

Originally Posted By: DirtNapTET

All you have to do is google the name.
Posted By: DirtNapTET

Re: Throckmorton Lease ???? - 01/24/14 08:45 PM

Originally Posted By: dgilbert
Originally Posted By: DirtNapTET

All you have to do is google the name.

Guess the sarcasm didnt quite get across...

Really appreciate all the info though. I have a lease right in the area, and have been looking for some openings nearby for my buddies. Glad I didnt have to figure things out about the guy the hard way!

Re: Throckmorton Lease ???? - 01/24/14 09:19 PM

I see what you did there.

Finally...
Posted By: Shawheel

Re: Throckmorton Lease ???? - 01/24/14 09:29 PM

Dang, Craigslist needs a rating feature like eBay. Looks like you saved that guy a lot of grief. Good thing the THF is here to help!
Posted By: 300j

Re: Throckmorton Lease ???? - 01/25/14 05:05 AM

You cant miss his house in Elbert. Every time I have passed thru there he seems to always have a monster buck hanging on the rack in the backyard just to the right of the house. Hummm, go figure.

Re: Throckmorton Lease ???? - 01/25/14 03:04 PM

300j, I think the GW is seeing the same thing, among other things
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum