Texas Hunting Forum

Best deer county in Texas

Posted By: walden

Best deer county in Texas - 12/21/11 01:01 AM

I am just wandering what the best "big" deer county in Texas. I have hunted tons of county's and have not found the huge deer. I have been on a lot of leases where a trophy is 125 to 130 don't get me wrong that's a good deer but I was just wandering where all the free range 140 150's are. Thanks for any inputs.

Posted By: rifleman

Re: Best deer county in Texas - 12/21/11 01:03 AM

They're all over the state.

Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Best deer county in Texas - 12/21/11 01:12 AM

Originally Posted By: rifleman
They're all over the state.

X2

Posted By: Jeff Watson

Re: Best deer county in Texas - 12/21/11 01:12 AM

Southern Duval County. Was at the Muy
Grande store 2 weeks ago and saw a
very nice 18 point taken from a small
acre, low fenced lease. Scored 178

Re: Best deer county in Texas - 12/21/11 01:25 AM

Okay thanks guys I knew there were a lot of them but I just couldn't find them.

Posted By: Auctioneer1

Re: Best deer county in Texas - 12/21/11 01:26 AM

Frio,Webb, are primo area for huge free range if you can find a lease.

Posted By: T Hall

Re: Best deer county in Texas - 12/21/11 01:42 AM

Deep south or far north.

Posted By: Rockinmyshoe

Re: Best deer county in Texas - 12/21/11 01:44 AM

La Salle works for me.. deer2

Re: Best deer county in Texas - 12/21/11 01:48 AM

Originally Posted By: T Hall
Deep south or far north.

You mean east no deer north

Re: Best deer county in Texas - 12/21/11 01:50 AM

Thanks guys. If any of you have an opening or know of an opening somewhere far south just let me know.

Posted By: Jacob645

Re: Best deer county in Texas - 12/21/11 01:56 AM

I think the most massive/characteristic are in east Texas, the tallest/widest are in south, the MOST deer are in hill country. Thats not to say there arent exceptions, but just seems to be that way. Can't say for far north or west. Never been there.

Posted By: Csddarden

Re: Best deer county in Texas - 12/21/11 02:13 AM

Originally Posted By: Jacob645
I think the most massive/characteristic are in east Texas, the tallest/widest are in south, the MOST deer are in hill country. Thats not to say there arent exceptions, but just seems to be that way. Can't say for far north or west. Never been there.

As HWY_MAN says..."there ain't no deer in West Texas"

Posted By: Curly

Re: Best deer county in Texas - 12/21/11 02:26 AM

Collin whistle

Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Best deer county in Texas - 12/21/11 02:44 AM

low fence, big deer......frio, la salle, webb, western duval, maverick.

maverick and webb have always been great country. so is frio.

Re: Best deer county in Texas - 12/21/11 02:46 AM

I think the most massive/characteristic are in east Texas, the tallest/widest are in south

what makes you say that?

Posted By: 8pointdrop

Re: Best deer county in Texas - 12/21/11 02:58 AM

The one I hunt in.

Posted By: Caviel

Re: Best deer county in Texas - 12/21/11 02:58 AM

Gillespie

Posted By: Texasbdog

Re: Best deer county in Texas - 12/21/11 03:00 AM

Dimmit

Re: Best deer county in Texas - 12/21/11 03:10 AM

I guess just the breeding down south is geared towards really wide and tall racks. If they are not being fed straight protein, it seems like most of their growth goes into length. This is not a downfall by any means. It is the main reason that South Texas deer are brought to East Texas to breed, so the width and length can mix with the mass in the East tx deer. Why do deer in east tx have more mass? I couldn't say for sure because I'm not a biologist, but I would infer that it's the ready availability of browse, mass crops, and grasses. Just a lot of variety in their diet and more food available throughout the year. Why mass and not width? You got me. Genetics I assume. I just know that I've seen some VERY large east tx bucks, and a lot of their inches come from mass at the bases. When you have that much mass it tends to turn into stickers and forks. South tx buck are huge in their own right. Wide bucks with tall tines=AWESOME! Just minerals growing in different ways.

AR's are gonna fix everything though... bolt

Posted By: Texsun

Re: Best deer county in Texas - 12/21/11 03:20 AM

Webb.

Posted By: JonesFisher

Re: Best deer county in Texas - 12/21/11 03:39 AM

I kind of thought it was opposite, east texas bucks have allways looked thinner in the bases than west or south texas deer?

Re: Best deer county in Texas - 12/21/11 04:24 AM

I'm talking about a mature east Texas buck 4.5 and older. Most that are shot are not mature as you know. Seems like its easier for a big mature buck to hide in pine thickets than shrub cedars or mesquite. East tx deer also seem way more nocturnal. Anyone that has hunted east tx will tell you it is not easy. My FIL has a mainframe 12 pt that scored 162 and change on his wall that makes me sick every time I look at it! It's amazing! Mass and character and tine length. Just to know something that big can exist around here, but the one next to it is my favorite. It's a main frame 10 I believe. It's main beams are like cow horns. Just so obvious that both were mature deer who had nothing else to do, but grow antlers. All they did was make the mistake of showing themselves in the daylight hours. I'm not by any means saying south tx bucks aren't massive, but it just isnt the same kind of mass that carries thru the horn.

Posted By: LandPirate

Re: Best deer county in Texas - 12/21/11 04:30 AM

For pure numbers of big deer, I gotta go with South Texas. Yes, big deer occur all over the state but your greatest chance to connect with one will be in South Texas.

Posted By: majekman

Re: Best deer county in Texas - 12/21/11 04:30 AM

Originally Posted By: Texasbdog
Dimmit

This^^^^

Posted By: Grayson

Re: Best deer county in Texas - 12/21/11 04:33 AM

A lot depends on how hard you want to hunt...

Posted By: Justin T

Re: Best deer county in Texas - 12/21/11 04:33 AM

Dimmitt, Webb, La Salle

Re: Best deer county in Texas - 12/21/11 04:37 AM

Texas Big Game Awards

Check this out. Pay close attention to if they were killed in high fence or not. They are categorized by region on far left.

Re: Best deer county in Texas - 12/21/11 04:39 AM

Originally Posted By: LandPirate
For pure numbers of big deer, I gotta go with South Texas. Yes, big deer occur all over the state but your greatest chance to connect with one will be in South Texas.

Agreed

Posted By: jskin

Re: Best deer county in Texas - 12/21/11 04:51 AM

There's a pretty good 180 acre tract up in the panhandle! bolt

Re: Best deer county in Texas - 12/21/11 05:00 AM

Texas Big Game Awards

Check this out. Pay close attention to if they were killed in high fence or not. They are categorized by region on far left.

The big buck contests I don't think are an accurate barometer of where the biggest bucks come from. There's lots of hunters and ranchers that don't want to publicize their deer or where they came from for fear of poachers.

If you'll notice there are really only a handful of ranches that submitted their kills to the contest. Those ranches are the most well known hunting ranches. The only reason they submit is for notoriety and publicity. Same holds true for the majority of the big buck contests.

I have qualifying bucks from Coke, Tom Green, Live Oak and Jim Hogg Counties. I've never submitted them and never intend to.

Re: Best deer county in Texas - 12/21/11 05:18 AM

I don't think it's a contest really. Not like a paying contest. I couldn't find where you win anything more than a plaque. I could be wrong though. It's not scientific by any means, but gives a rough estimate of what to expect in different regions. Most are individuals. I do like that they give first harvest awards. That's pretty cool!!

Re: Best deer county in Texas - 12/21/11 02:26 PM

I guess just the breeding down south is geared towards really wide and tall racks. If they are not being fed straight protein, it seems like most of their growth goes into length. This is not a downfall by any means. It is the main reason that South Texas deer are brought to East Texas to breed, so the width and length can mix with the mass in the East tx deer. Why do deer in east tx have more mass? I couldn't say for sure because I'm not a biologist, but I would infer that it's the ready availability of browse, mass crops, and grasses. Just a lot of variety in their diet and more food available throughout the year. Why mass and not width? You got me. Genetics I assume. I just know that I've seen some VERY large east tx bucks, and a lot of their inches come from mass at the bases. When you have that much mass it tends to turn into stickers and forks. South tx buck are huge in their own right. Wide bucks with tall tines=AWESOME! Just minerals growing in different ways.

its all about genetics in a certain area. i can go to one ranch that has a flat horn wide genetic being predominate and drove 10 miles down the road and they be heavy horned and basket racked.

it has nothing to do with south texas bucks being wider an less massive, with east texas bucks having alot of junk and being really heavy.

take a look at the los cazadores low fence leader board for proof of that. most east texas bucks came from south texas stock originally anyway, when TPWD were stocking back in the 50's

Posted By: pokerj2

Re: Best deer county in Texas - 12/21/11 02:28 PM

Originally Posted By: jskin
clap

Posted By: rtp

Re: Best deer county in Texas - 12/21/11 02:37 PM

Originally Posted By: jskin

roflmao

Re: Best deer county in Texas - 12/21/11 02:38 PM

I didnt think there was any low fence places left in South Texas? Might try the eastern side of South Texas. Lots of big deer get killed on low fence places that never get reported. Just sayin....

Re: Best deer county in Texas - 12/21/11 02:42 PM

Originally Posted By: rtp
I didnt think there was any low fence places left in South Texas? Might try the eastern side of South Texas. Lots of big deer get killed on low fence places that never get reported. Just sayin....

most of the lowfence places are either extreemly large, or small tracts in some way surrounded by high fences. if you go down to jim hogg, western duval, webb, there are still alot of low fence ranches, also some in frio and la salle but its getting fewer and fewer.

alot of folks don't want to report anything truly massive because they are afraid someone looking for a ranch will get wind of it and make an offer on the place or the hunting rights, therefore they will lose their spots.

Re: Best deer county in Texas - 12/21/11 02:43 PM

Some ranches won't let you enter your deer either

Re: Best deer county in Texas - 12/21/11 02:47 PM

thats true bobo, they don't want to attract the attention of poachers

Posted By: TonyUSMC

Re: Best deer county in Texas - 12/21/11 04:35 PM

The whole state! I can't tell you how happy I am and fortunate to have lived and have friends in Texas and come back yearly to hunt!

Posted By: DocBailey

Re: Best deer county in Texas - 12/21/11 05:11 PM

Jones county, especially around the Noodle area.

Posted By: toolman

Re: Best deer county in Texas - 12/21/11 05:14 PM

None, Texas has no deer.

Posted By: ddmm

Re: Best deer county in Texas - 12/21/11 05:30 PM

Look at the past couple years on the Texas Big Game awards. There's big deer found in all sections, just some counties have more than others. My son took a 159 buck in Mills county, low fence.

Re: Best deer county in Texas - 12/21/11 05:31 PM

Originally Posted By: DocBailey
Jones county, especially around the Noodle area.

i hunted in noodle once.

i'm pretty sure i saw a deer while driving one evening

Re: Best deer county in Texas - 12/21/11 05:32 PM

google killiam ortiz ranch and look at some of the bucks that come outta there

Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Best deer county in Texas - 12/21/11 07:13 PM

East Texas, at least according to James Kroll, should have the best deer counties. They get the rain and have the genetics. But other factors like land fragmentation and lack of management practices in that region keep the deer herd from reaching its full potential.

Re: Best deer county in Texas - 12/21/11 09:04 PM

Yeah but you have to factor in the people who hunt there

Posted By: Navasot

Re: Best deer county in Texas - 12/21/11 09:14 PM

Please 140 and 150 are all over the right parts of texas east north south west central...check out the Buck from every county thread...

Use to be on a ranch in houston county that avg deer was 140 to 150...alot of places around here and leon and robertson and madison get 130s-140s easy every year...south texas you need to be lookin for more of 150-180 range i would say

Posted By: CSF

Re: Best deer county in Texas - 12/21/11 09:26 PM

Originally Posted By: txtrophy85
google killiam ortiz ranch and look at some of the bucks that come outta there

Big deer come out of there. The Killiam's own some big ranches down there. They also have some good GSP bloodlines! up

Posted By: Southtexas36

Re: Best deer county in Texas - 12/22/11 12:21 AM

Here is what Boone & Crockett has to say, yes it is a bit outdated:

http://www.boone-crockett.org/pdf/geographicwhiteail.pdf

Posted By: TxTechsan

Re: Best deer county in Texas - 12/22/11 01:37 AM

If I could pick a place for myself I would take the portions of the Waggoner ranch in either Wilbarger or Baylor county for my own personal giant deer mecca. grin

If it has to be an actual county then I go with deep S. Tx.

Posted By: CleerCreekDC

Re: Best deer county in Texas - 12/22/11 01:45 AM

Some of the biggest free range deer in texas come out of counties just a few miles north of the metro plex. Take jeff duncans haggerman buck (Texas archery record), or the multiple B&C this year from denton county. These deer are on our back door step and we dont even know it

Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Best deer county in Texas - 12/22/11 03:19 AM

Best deer occur where ever they have great management practices that provide for older age structure. A lot of the truly largest bucks are killed in all areas of the State and never reported, been that way for years.

Posted By: Texsun

Re: Best deer county in Texas - 12/22/11 03:25 AM

Originally Posted By: CleerCreekDC
Some of the biggest free range deer in texas come out of counties just a few miles north of the metro plex. Take jeff duncans haggerman buck (Texas archery record), or the multiple B&C this year from denton county. These deer are on our back door step and we dont even know it

SHHH!

Posted By: TF Panther

Re: Best deer county in Texas - 12/22/11 03:57 AM

The 2 Best Counties in Texas are the one you are heading to and the last one you hunted.

Re: Best deer county in Texas - 12/22/11 01:38 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Best deer occur where ever they have great management practices that provide for older age structure. A lot of the truly largest bucks are killed in all areas of the State and never reported, been that way for years.

This^^^^

Here's pics of a 16 pt buck, green scoring 179 B&C, taken in Hays CO. this year. This buck will most likely not be submitted for any awards and will not be submitted to B&C.

It was killed on a 3500 acre low fence ranch with no supplemental feeding, no introduced genetics. Just what God Almighty intended and provided. If submitted it will be a new county record. This is the second 170 class buck killed in Hays Co. this year.

Re: Best deer county in Texas - 12/22/11 06:42 PM

Originally Posted By: LandPirate
Originally Posted By: stxranchman

This^^^^

Here's pics of a 16 pt buck, green scoring 179 B&C, taken in Hays CO. this year. This buck will most likely not be submitted for any awards and will not be submitted to B&C.

It was killed on a 3500 acre low fence ranch with no supplemental feeding, no introduced genetics. Just what God Almighty intended and provided. If submitted it will be a new county record. This is the second 170 class buck killed in Hays Co. this year.

That is what happens when you keep your population in check, the buck to doe avg right and let them get some age on them. Everyone needs to quit worrying about genetics/culls, spikes and such in a low fence environment. Work on the things I mentioned as best you can and it wont be long before you are taking mature big bucks. Good hunting everyone!

Re: Best deer county in Texas - 12/22/11 06:58 PM

That's the LF hunting/management bible right there folks

RTP flehan flehan up flehan up

Re: Best deer county in Texas - 12/22/11 07:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Navasotbred
south texas you need to be lookin for more of 150-180 range i would say

you can hunt your whole life and never see a 170+ inch buck.

i call b.s on any place where they claim the average mature buck is 140-150 inches, in any area of the state, low fence.

Posted By: BMD

Re: Best deer county in Texas - 12/22/11 07:44 PM

popcorn

Re: Best deer county in Texas - 12/22/11 07:56 PM

i call b.s on any place where they claim the average mature buck is 140-150 inches, in any area of the state, low fence.

Place I hunted in Laredo this year runs that average.. but that's taken not alive.... min requirement pretty much make it that way with 10pt or better min 18 in and 5.5 years old. No culls or 8, or.nines to drop average

Re: Best deer county in Texas - 12/22/11 08:02 PM

There are a few but "you" arent getting access or the price is sky high. On my place I tell everyone to set your sights on a 130" buck and I will do my best to get you something better. My avg is probably in the 140s every year(have to go back and look at the records) but that means we have some 130s to avg out those 150s and 160s. The bulk of my "trophys" are going to score in the 140s.

On a seperate note, I think the pendulum is swinging back in the other direction and low fence big bucks are going to start bringing a premium in the next few years. Big bucks behind a high fence are a dime a dozen and the falling prices indicate that. The new trend is for those that package hunt, to be seeking out higher scoring bucks on a large free range ranch. That is a scarce commodity. Again, JMHO.

Re: Best deer county in Texas - 12/22/11 08:25 PM

I agree with you Rtp 100%

Re: Best deer county in Texas - 12/22/11 08:27 PM

Originally Posted By: BMD
popcorn

What's yalls average last four years?
Trophy with out management and what's management avg

Re: Best deer county in Texas - 12/22/11 08:29 PM

popcorn

Posted By: TonyUSMC

Re: Best deer county in Texas - 12/22/11 08:32 PM

Originally Posted By: TF Panther
The 2 Best Counties in Texas are the one you are heading to and the last one you hunted.

I like this!

Re: Best deer county in Texas - 12/22/11 08:35 PM

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
I agree with you Rtp 100%

Edit---see price rising on big native deer LF most and HF second and breeder released genetics going down in price..

Re: Best deer county in Texas - 12/22/11 08:39 PM

rtp is correct. The particular ranch that the above buck came from is not commercially hunted and never has been. Friends, family and guests/clients are all that ever hunt the place and that's by invite only. They don't shoot many bucks, they don't "cull" bucks. They do shoot gobs of does though.

As far as S. TX low fence ranches being sky high, that's correct too. The ranch I hunted the past few years is now up to $7000/gun per year. That gets you a key to the gate and a bunk in the bunk house. With that said, you could pretty much shoot a 120-130 class buck on any hunt. 140-150 was fairly common if you hunted hard. There was at least one 160-170 taken each year with the biggest buck being in the 190's, many moons ago. Well managed ranches bring a premium and there are plenty of folks standing in line to pay it.

Re: Best deer county in Texas - 12/22/11 09:46 PM

Place I hunted in Laredo this year runs that average.. but that's taken not alive.... min requirement pretty much make it that way with 10pt or better min 18 in and 5.5 years old. No culls or 8, or.nines to drop average

well of course your avergage buck can be that if you don't shoot culls or managment deer.

if i shoot 4 deer a year and they are all above 150, then i can say my average is over 150.

but if i take a average of my mature bucks, the average would be closer to 130..on a managed ranch, high fenced and protien. and thats an average of maybe one or two 160-170 inch bucks, a handful in the 150's, same for the 140,s and a bunch of mature bucks ranging from 130 all the way down to 100.

there maybe some ranch out there were the average mature buck is wearing 140 inches of antler but i haven't seen it. even the ranches that i go on that have 200 inch deer still shoot a ton of sub 130 inch bucks every season

Re: Best deer county in Texas - 12/22/11 09:53 PM

well of course your avergage buck can be that if you don't shoot culls or managment deer.

if i shoot 4 deer a year and they are all above 150, then i can say my average is over 150.

but if i take a average of my mature bucks, the average would be closer to 130..on a managed ranch, high fenced and protien. and thats an average of maybe one or two 160-170 inch bucks, a handful in the 150's, same for the 140,s and a bunch of mature bucks ranging from 130 all the way down to 100.

there maybe some ranch out there were the average mature buck is wearing 140 inches of antler but i haven't seen it. even the ranches that i go on that have 200 inch deer still shoot a ton of sub 130 inch bucks every season

I will throw this one out there, the Chaparrosa Ranch will average well over 150 on it mature bucks and has for quite some time. 65,000 acres LF also. It will leave you shaking your head.

Re: Best deer county in Texas - 12/22/11 10:29 PM

Bammm!!!

Re: Best deer county in Texas - 12/22/11 10:31 PM

Bammm!!!

peep

Re: Best deer county in Texas - 12/22/11 11:04 PM

They are out there...nothing compared to some ranches but guided a ranch in east texas that we saw at least one or two 170+ deer a year....the avg mature deer taken was around 135..and low fence

Re: Best deer county in Texas - 12/22/11 11:31 PM

They are out there...nothing compared to some ranches but guided a ranch in east texas that we saw at least one or two 170+ deer a year....the avg mature deer taken was around 135..and low fence

how many sub par bucks were passed up to get to the 135?

Posted By: 300j

Re: Best deer county in Texas - 12/23/11 03:35 AM

Throckmorton,Young or Archer. Denton and Wise have turned out some nice nontypicals this year.

Re: Best deer county in Texas - 12/23/11 02:26 PM

how many sub par bucks were passed up to get to the 135?

If it was over 4.5 it took a dirt nap

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum