Texas Hunting Forum

carrying a pistol question

Posted By: longhorn3454

carrying a pistol question - 12/17/11 01:07 PM

Alright we've been having a discussion at work about carrying a pistol while hunting and so now I'm bringing the THF into our conversation. This pertains to bow hunting.

1. Is it against the law to carry a pistol while hunting during bow season?
2. Say you wound an animal during bow season with your bow, can you use your pistol to finish the animal off or do you have to shoot it with another arrow?

There are several of us going different ways on this one. Some of us think its ok to carry a pistol for protection and to help keep a wounded animal from suffering and some think that during bow season it is completely illegal to have a pistol in your possesion while hunting. So who's right and who's wrong?

Posted By: LandPirate

Re: carrying a pistol question - 12/17/11 01:23 PM

No firearms while bowhunting and especially during archery only season. And during archery only season you better not shoot a deer to "finish him off" and let the GW find out about it.

Posted By: Team By-God

Re: carrying a pistol question - 12/17/11 01:40 PM

Originally Posted By: LandPirate
No firearms while bowhunting and especially during archery only season. And during archery only season you better not shoot a deer to "finish him off" and let the GW find out about it.
while bowhunting during rifle season it would seem you could carry what u want ant finish him how u wanted unless its after dark. i remember during archery season this yr someone shooting a porcupine with his pistol while in treestand.. im not carrying a gun while bowhunting during bow season tho.. alot of rifle shots fired during october here in brown co. assuming it was hogs... not sure how they prove your deer hunting and not hog. or not sure how you prove ur hog hunting and not deer to a gw.. hunting is like golf, not sure anyone knows all the rules, including the officials..

Posted By: W44W

Re: carrying a pistol question - 12/17/11 03:18 PM

It is legal to carry a pistol during the archery only season if you have your CHL. As far as finishing a deer off with it I am not really sure and would be hesitant to do so without having a definate answer. I carry mine strictly for the hogs on the way to and from the stand. A black hog in the dark is hard to hit with a bow, but a .45 usually makes enough noise to get em going in the opposite direction.

Posted By: DoubleB20

Re: carrying a pistol question - 12/17/11 03:19 PM

You can carry a concealed handgun if you have a CHL. Otherwise no firearms.

Posted By: RTF Rob

Re: carrying a pistol question - 12/17/11 03:42 PM

you can carry concealed only if you have a
CHL, no open carry, and you CANNOT finish off with a gun at all.

Posted By: fnp9

Re: carrying a pistol question - 12/17/11 06:00 PM

RTF Rob is right.

Posted By: longhorn3454

Re: carrying a pistol question - 12/17/11 06:42 PM

thanks everyone for the info. I guess that means I'll make sure I'm not carrying a pistol with me during bow season.

Posted By: Team By-God

Re: carrying a pistol question - 12/17/11 09:32 PM

still dont know how they know your hunting deer and not hogs.. unless u got one with ya of course..

Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: carrying a pistol question - 12/17/11 09:47 PM

If you have a broadhead, during archery only season... you are hunting deer, unless there's absolutely no deer in that part of the world.... RTF Rob is right

Posted By: Texsun

Re: carrying a pistol question - 12/17/11 10:02 PM

Originally Posted By: RTF Rob
you can carry concealed only if you have a
CHL, no open carry, and you CANNOT finish off with a gun at all.

You can carry on your own land can you not?

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum