Texas Hunting Forum

Has anyone ever seen this before on a buck?

Posted By: justbreezin

Has anyone ever seen this before on a buck? - 11/29/11 03:15 PM

Or maybe I should say, NOT seen this.

A guy on our ranch harvested a nice 6.5 yr old 8 point this past weekend. When I got to the deer, I noticed that it did not have a nut sack. We looked that deer over as good as you possibly good and there was no sack. Upon gutting the deer, we noticed that all parts were as they should be, just no sack.

I have never experienced this or even heard of this before. A game biologist did tell me that something could have happened to this deer at a young age (caught in fence, etc.) that could have in a sense castrated him but he survived.

Wild.

Posted By: BMD

Re: Has anyone ever seen this before on a buck? - 11/29/11 03:18 PM

Should have
Been in velvet with no but sack

Posted By: hornedfrog

Re: Has anyone ever seen this before on a buck? - 11/29/11 03:46 PM

If I understand you correctly, he had testicles but no scrotum? If so he may have been cryptorchid (spelling?). It is just when one or both testicles dont desend from the abdominal cavity. It is not normal, but not uncommon. If that is the case all hormonal activity would be normal, but if both testicles are affected most likely he was sterile.

Posted By: Don Dial

Re: Has anyone ever seen this before on a buck? - 12/01/11 04:14 PM

I've seen it in Hogs and Deer...usually can find them up in them
if you are careful when you clean the animal...I have killed bucks that didn't shed their rack or come out of velvet..who were
damaged..DD

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum