Texas Hunting Forum

My daughter's first deer...

Posted By: Stonewall

My daughter's first deer... - 11/15/11 05:39 PM

My daughter had never shown any interest in hunting but that all changed earlier this year. She decided last January that she wanted to try and kill a deer. I was excited bc as a teenager she has been drifting further away and spending more time with friends than Dad. We went out opening day and were skunked, but later that afternoon we were sitting in our blind and this nice doe came out with 2 other juveniles. I told her to be patient and wait to see if a big buck follows her. She waited and suddenly the doe started walking toward away and I thought I had blown it. I tried a grunt to slow it down and get it to turn back towards us to no avail. I was sure I had blown her chance, but suddenly the doe turned back and headed to the feeder. I wasn't going to tell her to wait again. So when the doe started eating and presented the perfect stance about 120 yards away, I told my daughter to take the shot. BOOM goes the .243 and the doe falls where it stood! A perfect shot right through the heart dropped her. I was so proud (and still am) and she was so excited. The younger juveniles stayed around and my daughter started to worry and asked, "will they be OK?" I assured her they would and that in fact they will get stronger bc they won't be competing for food and water and that is why we do what we do as hunters. This brightened her mood again and asked if she could shoot the bigger of the juveniles. I told her "no", and suggested we let them get bigger. We waited til almost dark and saw a few more young deer box each other on hind legs, which I had never seen before. She was dying to go see her doe so I told her to go. She busted out of the blind and ran to see her. It was an awesome night and one I will always treasure. I gotta savor these moments before they go away. Needless to say she is hooked and now I have a hunting buddy for life.

Posted By: stxranchman

Re: My daughter's first deer... - 11/15/11 05:40 PM

Great pic and write up!

Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: My daughter's first deer... - 11/15/11 05:42 PM

Awesome pic and story, and kid I am sure! Can't beat hunting memories with the kids

Posted By: Western

Re: My daughter's first deer... - 11/15/11 06:30 PM

Agree with the other guy's, great read and congrats. We need more kids in the sport so it will carry on.

Posted By: quackaholic1

Re: My daughter's first deer... - 11/15/11 07:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Western
Agree with the other guy's, great read and congrats. We need more kids in the sport so it will carry on.

X2

Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Re: My daughter's first deer... - 11/15/11 07:55 PM

Nice work young lady! That smile says it all smile

cheers

Good job Dad for getting her out there.

Posted By: TxYoteHunter

Re: My daughter's first deer... - 11/15/11 08:04 PM

happy3 Congratulations to her.

Posted By: bassinbiker

Re: My daughter's first deer... - 11/15/11 08:48 PM

Excellent!!

Posted By: crossbow62

Re: My daughter's first deer... - 11/15/11 09:11 PM

awesome!

Posted By: dawson55

Re: My daughter's first deer... - 11/15/11 11:06 PM

Great story. I only have daughters one 10 the others 5. They both hunt with me. Good to see another kid hunting. Just wait youth season will now be more important than opening morning.

Posted By: Jim A.

Re: My daughter's first deer... - 11/15/11 11:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Western

x3

Posted By: kmon11

Re: My daughter's first deer... - 11/15/11 11:33 PM

Congrats to your daughter and thanks for sharing

Posted By: ddmm

Re: My daughter's first deer... - 11/16/11 12:52 AM

That's the stories that make this site worth checking out!! Great job, both of you! Good job Dad for taking the time and letting her do the hunting.

Posted By: Nightlight

Re: My daughter's first deer... - 11/16/11 01:02 AM

Great job!

Posted By: pokerj2

Re: My daughter's first deer... - 11/16/11 01:08 AM

Congrats

Posted By: Anew

Re: My daughter's first deer... - 11/16/11 03:38 AM

Awesome we need some more female Hunters that smile says it all you never forget the first one

Posted By: BMD

Re: My daughter's first deer... - 11/16/11 03:44 AM

Congrats, it is special time with a daughter for sure!

Posted By: Seadog

Re: My daughter's first deer... - 11/16/11 07:22 AM

Awesome story!!! Congrats to the young lady!!!

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum