Texas Hunting Forum

AR question about a trophy

Posted By: dlrz71

AR question about a trophy - 11/14/11 08:15 PM

I don't think this has been covered but I can't read all the AR posts lol. Anywho...Let's say you shoot a "trophy" buck to you and would be your biggest buck ever. You have guaged him and he is borderline or he is outside his ears and ends up measuring just under the 13" rule. I know a lot of people have said if they shot a deer that was illegal they would just process it themselves, but let's say you would have wanted to get it shoulder mounted. What would you do? How many people do you think would try to put another county on the tag and hope they dont get caught?

Just a pondering question I had been thinking about since there are some truly trophy deer out there that are not legal.

Posted By: Closed Traverse

Re: AR question about a trophy - 11/14/11 08:18 PM

Then you could take it and get it mounted... tag stays with the meat...

Posted By: Jimbo

Re: AR question about a trophy - 11/14/11 08:41 PM

You will still need to show the license and where it was killed to the taxidermist, along with a properly filled out Wildlife Resource Document, (WRD) to be with the antlers.

The taxidermist has to cover his arse also!

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publications/pwdforms/media/pwd_979a_l2000_taxidermy_info_letter.pdf

Posted By: helomech

Re: AR question about a trophy - 11/14/11 08:47 PM

Say it was killed in Louisiana, not tag required. Unless it has changed in the last couple years.

Posted By: Closed Traverse

Re: AR question about a trophy - 11/14/11 08:48 PM

Originally Posted By: helomech
Say it was killed in Louisiana, not tag required. Unless it has changed in the last couple years.

or say u found it...

Posted By: Jimbo

Re: AR question about a trophy - 11/14/11 08:52 PM

I guess you could lie about it, but I'm pretty sure the Game Wardens who check those places are used to all the tricks and know what to look for when it comes to red flags.

Posted By: rifleman

Re: AR question about a trophy - 11/14/11 09:02 PM

there's quite a few options, all of which illegal b/c of it stemming from something illegal to begin with.

Posted By: krazycajun

Re: AR question about a trophy - 11/14/11 09:42 PM

Dont say that LA has tags

Posted By: helomech

Re: AR question about a trophy - 11/14/11 11:06 PM

Originally Posted By: krazycajun

Dont say that LA has tags

When did they start that? I know 3 or 4 years ago they didn't. I have a life time license there, don't have any tags on it.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum