Texas Hunting Forum

cooler buck

Posted By: Anew

cooler buck - 11/11/11 08:41 AM

Anybody see the problem if it's on private land and going straight to the grill they seem to taste better and saves a tag for a real deer

Posted By: Seadog

Re: cooler buck - 11/11/11 09:37 AM

Nothing wrong with camp meat and going straight to the grill but you have to burn tag!!!

Posted By: redseal

Re: cooler buck - 11/11/11 11:00 AM

legally you have to tag it before you move it at all even before takin it back to the camp... so yeah it would be a problem cause you can't save the tag

Posted By: notamtchance

Re: cooler buck - 11/11/11 11:12 AM

I'm with them. Just stay legal and us a tag.

Posted By: Rustler

Re: cooler buck - 11/11/11 12:06 PM

It's crystal clear in the Outdoor annual.

Except for deer taken under MLD permit, LAMPS permit, TPWD Special Drawn Legal Deer Tag, U.S. Forest Service antlerless permit, or Big Time Texas Hunt, all deer must be tagged IMMEDIATELY upon kill, in a secure manner anywhere on the deer, with an appropriate license tag with the month and date CUT OUT.

Immediately upon kill of a white-tailed deer the hunter must complete the log, in ink, on the back of the hunting license.
Failure to complete the log as required may result in a fine not to exceed $500 for each deer improperly logged.

After a deer is killed and before the deer is field dressed or moved, the appropriate hunting license tag must be immediately filled out and date cut out.
• If a deer is taken under a LAMPS or MLD permit, the permit must be attached to the deer.

Posted By: DSST_Construction

Re: cooler buck - 11/11/11 12:09 PM

i thought if you aged and deer for a few days the meat tastes better?

Posted By: mideon2000

Re: cooler buck - 11/11/11 01:25 PM

the only time the warden ever shows up will happen to be when you try that. i wouldn't bother and just tag, of course i'm lucky just to shoot 1 deer a year lol.

Posted By: stxranchman

Re: cooler buck - 11/11/11 01:26 PM

Just make sure you save some of it for the GW...maybe he will be easier on you when writing you up. Tag it, you have 4 or 5 of them to used depending on your area.

Posted By: Mr Sinister

Re: cooler buck - 11/11/11 02:23 PM

I strongly suggest doing the right thing and tagging it. It's not worth the fine and I prefer to keep the GW from having a reason to check me all the time.

Posted By: cameron00

Re: cooler buck - 11/11/11 02:29 PM

The a**hole that hunts my neighbor's property does this and it infuriates me. He also thinks he's allowed to shoot his limit and then buy a license for his wife and shoot her limit.

Posted By: Moonie Magnum

Re: cooler buck - 11/11/11 02:50 PM

Unfortunately, you have to tag it.

Posted By: Rustler

Re: cooler buck - 11/11/11 02:56 PM

Yep, it's always the neighbors. lol444

If you know sumthin illegal is taking place, do sumthin about it, call da GW.

Posted By: BuckRage

Re: cooler buck - 11/11/11 03:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Seadog
Nothing wrong with camp meat and going straight to the grill but you have to burn tag!!!

yep

Re: cooler buck - 11/11/11 03:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Rustler
Yep, it's always the neighbors. lol444

If you know sumthin illegal is taking place, do sumthin about it, call da GW.

I have. But thanks for the pointer.

Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: cooler buck - 11/11/11 04:14 PM

Originally Posted By: cameron00
The a**hole that hunts my neighbor's property does this and it infuriates me. He also thinks he's allowed to shoot his limit and then buy a license for his wife and shoot her limit.

But AR's fixed all that?

Posted By: Jim Davis

Re: cooler buck - 11/11/11 04:19 PM

good catch sig226fan!

Posted By: 338ultra

Re: cooler buck - 11/11/11 04:35 PM

I'm having a hard time wondering why this question was even posted? hammer

Re: cooler buck - 11/11/11 05:55 PM

Originally Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)
Originally Posted By: cameron00

But AR's fixed all that?

I don't recall saying ARs fixed that. They just massively increased the population of bucks. If my a**hole neighbor didn't do the things he does, the situation would be even better.

Posted By: RDNCK

Re: cooler buck - 11/11/11 08:53 PM

Originally Posted By: 338ultra
I'm having a hard time wondering why this question was even posted? hammer

X2

Posted By: Jandrus

Re: cooler buck - 11/11/11 09:05 PM

we hunt the Eldorado area and had a GW threaten us with a ticket if he caught us without a ink pen on each person if we were hunting, his reason being the deer had to be taged upon being shot....... I love when power goes to some idiots head

Re: cooler buck - 11/11/11 09:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Jandrus
we hunt the Eldorado area and had a GW threaten us with a ticket if he caught us without a ink pen on each person if we were hunting, his reason being the deer had to be taged upon being shot....... I love when power goes to some idiots head

How is he wrong? Could you have tagged a shot deer without a pen?

Posted By: helomech

Re: cooler buck - 11/11/11 09:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Jandrus

Love to see what he would right as the citation. Tell him to go ahead and write that stupid ticket.

Posted By: BuckRage

Re: cooler buck - 11/11/11 09:11 PM

cameron, that GW was being a Richard for sure. Do you need a pen to fill out a tag sure but let's get to that point first. you could also say you don't need a pen if you don't have to fill out a tag.... the reasoning just don't cut it either way until an action was taken to need a pen. I get the point but he was just being a d*ck.

Re: cooler buck - 11/11/11 09:38 PM

Yeah the GW has a point to an extent but there are several times throughout deer season that I go sit in the stand just to cut down on the hog population.
Also you can always go back to camp and get a pen before ever even approaching the deer. I don't believe that would be illegal.

Posted By: Closed Traverse

Re: cooler buck - 11/11/11 09:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Bigbuck95
Yeah the GW has a point to an extent but there are several times throughout deer season that I go sit in the stand just to cut down on the hog population.
Also you can always go back to camp and get a pen before ever even approaching the deer. I don't believe that would be illegal.

just givin it time before u track it....

Re: cooler buck - 11/11/11 09:46 PM

Absolutely...lol

Posted By: Jandrus

Re: cooler buck - 11/11/11 10:54 PM

Well call me stupid or what ever you want but, I hunt one privately leased ranch and no other places so in the past I have sat down at the camp with a pen and writen down the county and lease name so that all I had to do was pull tag, cut dates and hang on deer.....so what's wrong with this and it does away with need for pen besides finnishing date on back of license in which don't forget I am going to get a truck to pick deer up which has a ton of pens

Posted By: taking5kidshunting

Re: cooler buck - 11/12/11 02:34 AM

"save the tag for a real deer"...???? Huh? If you harvested it, you tag it! Sure hope that question doesn't come up with kids or new hunters around. Ethics in hunting is important. I've passed on many good bucks after taking mine...could have used my kids tags but never would. What kind of legacy would that leave? Whether we agree with laws/regulations/AR's/etc, it is the law. Do what's right. Tag it.

Posted By: DIME BOX DEER CAMP

Re: cooler buck - 11/12/11 12:20 PM

It's better be legal than sorry hammer

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum