Texas Hunting Forum

Deer surveys

Posted By: waddy

Deer surveys - 10/18/11 03:07 PM

Do ya'll know how much it would cost to have someone do a spotlight survey on a 228 acre ranch?

Posted By: Navasot

Re: Deer surveys - 10/18/11 03:16 PM

Were are you located?

Posted By: BuckRage

Re: Deer surveys - 10/18/11 03:17 PM

Navasotbred, post it... unless it's too long. I'm sure alot of people would be interested including myself.

Posted By: kyle1974

Re: Deer surveys - 10/18/11 03:19 PM

spotlight survey? hell, you could probably get a few boys from east texas to do it for free.

Posted By: BuckRage

Re: Deer surveys - 10/18/11 03:22 PM

they do spotlight and ground check surveys though...JK rofl

Re: Deer surveys - 10/18/11 03:38 PM

Find a good path to take through the place that will let you see the most property without goin though the same area...2 people holdin spotlights and one with a pad and pen..do a mile to a page and break it down to every tenth of a mile..you also need to have a catagorey for yards seeable to left and right for each tenth with a min of 5 and a max of 250.at your starting point reset your odomitor..for every tenth of a mile that the driver aknoledges the left light holder will tell info keeper how far he can see and same for the right light holder..dnt for get there is a min of 5yrds and a max of 250..during this your info needs to have a catagory for bucks, does, fawns, and unidentified...keep every deer marked in sync with every tenth of a mile its seen on....if there are heavy feeding areas like protein feeders keep the numbers for buck doe ratio but do not put them into the actually land count because this can screw with you total deer per acer callculation...after all this is done tpwd has formulas posted that are easy to use to calculate all the info your tryin to figure out...ratio...deer per acer..fawn succes rate..etc.

sorry bout as short as i could make it

Re: Deer surveys - 10/18/11 03:39 PM

Originally Posted By: BuckRage
they do spotlight and ground check surveys though...JK rofl

up

Re: Deer surveys - 10/18/11 03:40 PM

o and dnt forget your binos....

Posted By: Curly

Re: Deer surveys - 10/18/11 04:13 PM

Originally Posted By: BuckRage